East Gwillimbury Township Residents from A History of Toronto and County of York

Charles E. Lundy, lot 102, concession 1, east of Yonge Street, whose place of birth is the farm he now owns and occupies, is the son of the late Jacob Lundy. Mr. Lundy, sen’r, was born in this township on an adjoining lot, his father, Israel Lundy, having emigrated from Lycoming County, Penn., and settled there in 1805, and built mills, subsequently removing to Sharon, where he died in 1846. Jacob Lundy lived with his people until he reached the age of twenty-five (1824), when he bought and settled upon a tract of uncleared land (the same farm now being occupied by Charles E.), where he lived until his death in 1878, at the age of sixty-nine years. The mother of the subject of this sketch was Hannah Doan, daughter of Ebenezer Doan, who emigrated from Bucks County, Penn., in 1808. Charles E., the mother and three sisters are the survivors of the family. The former has always resided at the homestead, which he received by will from his father, and consists of seventy-five acres, in addition to which he owns one hundred and twenty-five acres on lot 8, concession 2 of theis section. His father Jacob Lundy, was with Mackenzie’s forces during the Rebellion of 1837, and was held a prisoner for a short time. (vol. II, p. 492)

Charles Lundy, lot 1, concession 2, farmer and machinist, is the son of the late Samuel Lundy, who, with his parents settled in concession 4 of Whitchurch, at the beginning of the present century. His father married in 1838 Hannah Star, who is still living; their family consisted of five sons and three daughters. Samuel Lundy died in 1860. Charles resided at the old homestead until 1863, when he bought and settled upon his present farm which he continues assiduously to cultivate. (vol. II, p. 492)

John Calver McCarthy, lot 2, concession 3, was born upon the farm he at present owns. His father, the late R. McCarthy, was born in Rensselaer County, New York State, in 1809, and in 1825 came to Canada. He was only a boy at the time and almost destitute, walked all the way from Kingston to York. He was variously employed for several years and eventually bought and settled upon the farm located as above. His first purchase was fifty acres from the Crown, to which he added another fifty acres which he purchased from his father, George McCarthy, who came to Canada some time after his son. John Calver, two sisters and his mother survive the father. John C. married in 1877 Margaret, daughter of John Hooper, of this township; she died in May, 1884.
(vol. II, p. 493)

Mrs. B.F. Morrison, lot 1, concession 2, is the daughter of the late Joseph Kinsey. Her father was born in this section and was the son of James Kinsey, who came from Pennsylvania at an early day, and settled on lot 3, east of Yonge Street, in this township, where he resided until his death. Joseph Kinsey was married in 1828 to Clarissa Arnold, who was born in the United States; both died in the year 1835. Mrs. Morrison is one of two daughters who survived their parents; she was married in 1851 to B.F. Mossison, of Youngstown, Niagara County, N.Y., and son of Major Morrison, of that place; their family consists of four sons and three daughters, who are located at various places from the homestead to the Pacific Coast. (vol. II, p. 493)

W. Morley, proprietor of the grist-mill lately erected at Mount Albert, is a native of Sussex, England, and came with his people to Canada in 1832. They settled first in Perth County, where they lived until the death of the father. Mr. Morely has a grist and saw-mill at Baden, Waterloo County. His present mill in east Gwillimbury has three run of stones; the main building is 30 x 40 x 37 feet, with another structure 38 x 30 feet; the machinery is driven by a fifty horse-power engine. Mr. Morely married Rachael Coe, of Waterloo County. (vol. II, p. 493)

T.T. Morton, proprietor of the general store, Queensville, is the son of Silas Morton, now living in Michigan, U.S. His father and grandfather were the first to settle in North Gwillimbury, where they located about 1820; the grandfather died there. His father resided on the old homestead until he arrived at maturity, and then purchased lot 18, concession 5, North Gwillimbury, where T.T. Morton, our subject, was born, and which farm is now owned by the latter. Mr. Morton, sen’r, remained on the farm until 1870, when he moved to Michigan. The mother of our subject was Annie Sinclair, who died in 1882. T.T. Morton is one of a family of eight children, and on leaving home engaged in farming in Simcoe County. He subsequently settled upon a farm in this township, and was afterwards engaged in the mercantile business in Ontario County. In 1883 he located in Queensville, and established the business in which he is at present engaged. He married in 1867 Sarah Huntly, of North Gwillimbury Township. (vol. II, p. 493)

James Parnham, lot 106, concession 1, was born in Nottinghamshire, England, in 1822, and came to Canada with his mother and stepfather when only ten years of age. On their arrival in Toronto in 1832 his mother died from cholera. Subsequently the family went to Newmarket and afterwards to East Gwillimbury, where our subject’s stepfather, George Foster, resided until his death. James, on leaving home, went to live with a sister in Pickering Township, with whom he remained about one year. He then learned the trade of carding and cloth-dressing at Ellerby’s mill, East Gwillimbury, a vocation he followed ten years. He then bought one hundred and forty acres of land, on which he now lives, and to this he has since added another hundred acres, owning now about two hundred and fifty acres of land. Mr. Parnham occupied the position of Reeve of East Gwillimbury for eight years, and was Warden of the County for one year, 1870; these offices he held between 1860 and 1870. He was married to Miss Wright, daughter of George Wright, of Yonge Street, East Gwillimbury; they have one daughter living, having lost their only son when about five years of age. (vol. II, p. 494)

B.F. Pearson, M.D., Queensville, derives his descent from a family who originally came from Pennsylvania. The grandfather, Benjamin Pearson, came to Canada in 1797, and settled the same year in King Township, York County, where he died in 1817. Of his family only one son, Benjamin P., survives; he is living in Aurora. Nathaniel, deceased, another son, was the father of the subject of this notice. He resided on the old homestead until 1825, when he married Martha W. Watson, daughter of William Watson, one of the early settlers of Whitchurch Township. Nathaniel died in 1880 and his wife died in 1867; two sons and one daughter are all that survive of a family of eight children. B.F. lived on the homestead with his parents until 1860. He spent about three years teaching, and afterwards attended the Victoria Medical College, Toronto, where he graduated, and soon after commenced practising in the Village of Queensville. He was married in 1870 to Mary Wilson, daugher of the late William H. Wilson, of Sharon. (vol. II, p. 494)

Philip Pentz, proprietor of the grist-mill, Pine Hill, is the son of the late Peter Pentz, a native of Pennsylvania, who came to this country at an early day and settled in Lloydtown. He afterwards returned to the States, where he died in 1842. Philip learned his business in Lloydtown, and afterwards engaged in milling in various parts of the country. He acquired a lease of the above-mentioned mills in 1881, and has since conducted the business. The mill is worked both by steam and water-power, and has three run of stones, doing a large custom business. He was married in 1861 to Catharine Lundy, daughter of Reuben Lundy, of this township. (vol. II, p. 495)

Daniel Peregrine, lot 21, concession 1, was born in England in 1814, and came to Canada with his people when an infant. His father, John Peregrine, settled in York County and remained near Toronto about three years, and in 1818 removed to Georgina Township, where he drew land from the Government, and erected the first dwelling-house in that township. He resided there twelve years, and in 1839 sold out and bought the farm where Daniel now lives. He died in 1859; his wife, whose maiden name was Catharine Thomas, followed him three years later. Daniel is one of a family of two sons and one daughter who survive their parents. He married in 1837 Martha Wilson, daughter of the late Titus Wilson, of this section. Mr. Peregrine cultivates one hundred and fifty acres. R.F. Peregrine, son of the above, resides on the old homestead. He has been twice married, first to Priscilla Defoe, of Belleville, in 1875. His present wife, to whom he was married in 1878, was Hannah Holgate, of Belleville. (vol. II, p. 495)

A.F. Pringle, M.D., and proprietor of drug store, Mount Albert, is a native of Lennox County, being the son of Wm. Anson Pringle. His grandfather, Joseph Pringle, was a U.E. Loyalist, and was amongst the first settlers in Lennox County; he located in Freddericksburg Township, where he lived until his death. Dr. Pringle was, for many years, a school teacher, and spent ten years in Waterloo County in that capacity. He received his professional education at Trinity College, Toronto, and obtained his degree in 1882. He practised for a time with his brother at Wellandport, and, in 1883, bought the drug business of Dr. Hamill and commenced the practice of medicine in this district. (vol. II, p. 495)

Harrison Proctor, lot 98, concession 1, was born on lot 100, concession 1 of this township, and is the fifth son of the late Henry Proctor. Both his parents died when he was quite young. He resided on what had been his father’s farm until he was twenty-five years of age, after which he was engaged in farming in different places. He subsequently bought a small farm on Yonge Street, which he afterwards sold and bought the one where he now resides. He was married in 1853 to Mary A. Millard, daughter of the late John Millard; they have one son who is now in charge of the homestead. Mrs. Proctor’s grand-father, Timothy Millard, was a pioneer of Whitchurch. (vol. II, p. 495)

Isaac Proctor, concession 1, west of Yonge Street, in East Gwillimbury Township. His father, Henry Proctor, was born near Boston, U.S., and settled in York Township in 1800 on the same farm where he, Isaac, was born, and where he lived until his death. Of six sons and twelve daughters who survive him, Isaac is the eldest. Isaac resided on the old homestead until 1840, when he purchased a farm in King Township, where he remained until 1876; he then moved to his present location. (vol. II, p. 496)

John Salter, lot 12, concession 2, was born near Bath, in Somersetshire, England, and came to Canada in 1851. He settled first at Holland Landing, where he remained about thirteen years, and followed his trade of carpenter. He next settled on lot 108, east of Yonge Street, and engaged in farming, subsequently removing to lot 11, concession 2, where he remained until 1872. He then bought the farm of one hundred and eighty acres, west part of lots 12 and 13, concession 2, where he has since resided. Mr. Salter has been twice married, his first union being with Mary Greenhill, whose death took place in 1863; one daughter survives her. His present wife’s maiden name was Rachel Wright, daughter of the late George Wright, of this township, who came originally from England. He has two sons and two daughters by this marriage. (vol. II, p. 496)

Samuel Shuttleworth, lot 9, concession 8, is a native of Lincolnshire, England, and emigrated to Canada in 1834. Soon after his arrival in York County he settled on his present farm in east Gwillimbury. He was a pioneer of this section, and came through the woods all the way from Newmarket, following an Indian trail. He has very much improved his property both in the way of cultivation as well as in the erection of buildings. He married in 1838 Nancy Malts, a native of County Donegal, Ireland. (vol. II, p. 496)

Steeper & Woodcock, proprietors of saw, planing and shingle-mills, and sash, door and blind factory, Mounty Albert. This firm is composed of S. Woodcock and Messrs. P. & J. Steeper, and was established in 1883. The planing mill has been running for about eleven years, the business at first being carried on by Woodcock and Grindall, the firm name having been changed several times since then. The working capacity of the saw-mill is about twenty thousand feet per day. The firm are also builders and contractors, and are prepared to fulfil all contracts of that class. Messrs. Steeper Brothers are natives of Lincolnshire, England, and came to Canada in their youth. Their father, David Steeper, settled in Markham Township, where he resided many years, and has only lately removed to this section. The mill building has a frontage of 60 x 50 feet. (vol. II, p 496)

Isaac Tool, lots 4 and 5, concession 8, is descended from a family of Welsh origin. His father, the late Moses Tool, was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and came to Canada with his parents Aaron and Rachel (Howard) Tool in 1799. They located near Niagara two years, and then came to York County, settling in Whitchurch Township on a tract of land drawn from Government (lot 29, concession 4), where the old people resided until their death. In 1827 Moses Tool took possession of the farm in this township now occuied by Isaac; it then consisted of four hundred acres, which is now divided, a part being in the hands of Lewis Tool. When the late Mr. Tool first came here but three settlers were located at that end of the section. He died in the year 1882, at the age of eighty-eight years, having survived his wife twenty-two years. His wife’s people were of Welsh origin and U.E. Loyalists, and came from New Brunswick at an early day. Isaac, the subject of this sketch, is one of a family of four sons and one daughter, and was born on the old homestead in Whitchurch Township. He has been thrice married, his first union being with Jerusha Burchard, who died eight years later; she was the mother of five children, only one survived her; this daughter died some time after. His second marriage was with Elizabeth S. Brown, which event took place in 1870; she died in 1876, leaving one son. Mr. Tool’s present wife was Hannah J. Brown, to whom he was married in 1879. (vol. II, p. 497>

Lewis Tool, lot 4, concession 8, was born on the farm on which he now resides, being the only son of the late Lewis Tool, whose death occurred by an accident from a threshing-machine in 1851. His family consisted of a son and a daughter. Mr. Tool inherited his farm from his grandfather, the late Moses Tool. His mother is still living. (vol. II, p. 497)

W.J. Turner, general merchant, Queensville, is a native of Newtonbrook, Ireland, and came to Toronto in 1854. He had learned the trade of shoemaker at home which he followed for two years after his arrival here; he then left Toronto, and established himself as a general merchant in Queensville, which he continued for a number of years. He subsequently bought and lived upon a farm in Grey County, and in 1879 returned to Queesville, and after putting in a new stock of goods opened the store which he has since conducted. Mr. Turner has been twice married, his first wife being Eleanor Todd, of King Township; she died in October, 1873, leaving two sons and one daughter, all of whom are now in Manitoba. His second marriage was in April, 1884, to Mr. G. Stiles, of Queensville, born at Port Perry, whose maiden name was Rosanna Brown. (vol. II, p. 497)

Joshua Weldon, shoemaker, Queensville, was born in Biddleford, England, and came to Canada in 1855. He came to York County, and settled in this village, in 1858, where he has since carried on the business of showmaker. He married in 1863 Charlotte A. Marles, daughter of Samuel Marles, of this township; they have five sons and four daughters. (vol. II, p. 498)

Hugh D. Wilson, farmer, Sharon Post-office, is the son of the late David Wilson, and was born in 1802, where the Village of Sharon now stands. Mr. Wilson was formerly a Custom House Officer, which position he occupied about twenty years, the remainder of his life has been spent in Sharon. He was married in 1823 to Phoebe Wilson, daughter of W.H. Wilson; they have two sons and two daughters. (vol. II, p. 498)

David L. Wilson, lot 6, concession 2, is the son of Israel Wilson, and grandson of David Wilson, who founded the Church of Davidites or Children of Peace at Sharon. David Wilson, sen’r, came from the State of New York about 1801, and settled with his family in what is now Sharon Village, Israel, the father of David L., being then an infant. Israel lived on the homestead until some time after his marriage with Mary Hughes, daughter of Amos Hughes, a pioneer of this township, and in 1841 settled upon the farm now owned by David L. The latter is the youngest in a family of four children, and has always lived on the old homestead, which he received from his father. He was married in 1869 to Eliza J. Stokes, daughter of John T. Stokes, of Sharon. (vol. I, p. 498)

Rodney Wilson, lots 13 and 14, concession 3, was born on the farm where he now lives, being the son of John H., and grandson of Hugh D. Wilson, who came to Canada in 1812, and took up their residence in North Gwillimbury. His mother was Rebecca Barr, who died at the age of seventy-two years. Rodney lived for twelve years on concession 5, and took up his residence on the old homestead in the fall of 1882. He married in 1857 Adeline McCarty, daughter of R. McCarty, an early settler in this township, by whom he had one child, a daughter. (vol II, p. 498)