Newmarket Residents from A History of Toronto and County of York

James Kilman, druggist, is a native of Banffshire, Scotland, where he was born in 1835. He emigrated to Toronto in 1856, and after remaining there until 1869 he came to Newmarket, where he has since been in business. Mr. Kilman has been Auditor for Newmarket several years, and is at present Agent for Vickers’ Express and the Montreal Telegraph Company. His agencies also include the White Star and Allan Line Steamship Companies. Mr. Kilman was married in 1856 to Miss Elizabeth Cahan, of Wicklow County, Ireland, by whom he has a family of seven children, two sons and five daughters. (vol. II, p 477)

William Malloy, bailiff, etc., was born in Ireland in 1822, and came to this country with his parents when an infant, and has resided in or near Newmarket ever since. He has held the office of Bailiff for the past twenty years and also the office of License Inspector since 1878. Mr. Malloy was married in East Gwillimbury Township on May 8, 1847, to Miss Rebecca Wilson, by whom he has two sons and three daughters, all of whom are living in the county. (vol. II, p. 477)

Alexander Millard, manufacturer, Newmarket, was born in 1852, and commenced business with his father, Joseph Millard, in 1873, and established business for himself in 1881. His marriage was in 1874 to Miss Emma Millard, by whom he has one child, a daughter. (vol. II, p. 477)

Joseph Millard, furniture manufacturer and undertaker, was born in the Township of Whitchurch, York County, in 1816, and is of Welsh descent. He first commenced farming, also worked in a saw-mill, and in 1839 commenced his furniture business in Newmarket with the limited capital of twenty-five dollars. This business has steadily increased, and the modest dimensions of its original existence, compared with its present large proportions, is very creditable to Mr. Millard’s talent and enterprise, and he is now considered one of the wealthiest men in this section. In 1840 he married Miss Susan Hollingshead, of Whitchurch, by whom he has a family of eight children living, three sons and five daughters. Mr. Millard’s parents, John and Mary Millard, emigrated from Pennsylvania in 1805, and on their arrival in York County first located at Stouffville with their parents, Timothy and Mary Millard, where they resided until 1813; they then removed to Newmarket and remained there till removed by death at the respective ages of eighty years. (vol. II, p. 478)

J. Nash, M.D., was born in Sussex, England, in 1815, and settled in the State of Connecticut. He remained there but two years however, his next place of location being Toronto. He came to Newmarket in 1841 where he has since practised his profession. He was married in New York City, in 1838, to Ann Ashman, formerly of England; they have three sons and three daughters. (vol. II, p. 478)

Richard Park, tanner and leather merchant, was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1839, and came to Canada when twenty years of age. He was located for a long time in Oxford County, Ontario, and in 1871 came to York County, settling in Newmarket, commenced the business which he at present carries on in partnership with Mr. J.S. Peckham, of Waubaushene, under the firm name of R. Park & Co. The main building of the tannery is 100 x 36 feet, in the rear a wing 50 x 25, and three storeys high, with a brick-built engine-house containing a thirty horse-power engine. Calfskin, kip, bridles and harness-leather are manufactured and made a specialty of by the firm, whose business turn-over amounts to about $70,000 per annum. Mr. Park was married in 1865 to Miss Hannah Battye, of English birth; neither of their children is living. Mrs. Park died suddenly in the spring of 1884, and, a year later, Mr. Park married Miss Maria Barry, daughter of J.W. Barry, Esq., of Bradford, Ontario. (vol. II, p. 478)

James J. Pearson, Registrar of the North Riding of York, was born in the Township of Whitchurch in 1828. He was for some years engaged in the milling business in King Township, and received the appointment of Registrar in 1863, the office being established that year. Mr. Pearson has been married twice. His first wife was Mary Ann Kennedy of Aurora, to whom he was united in 1856; her death occurred in 1866. He was married again in 1868 to Mrs. Hoag, widow of Lyman Hoag and daughter of the late S.T. Peckham, of Newmarket. He has two daughters by his first wife. James Pearson, father of the above, was one of the early pioneers who emigrated from Pennsylvania to Canada in 1800 and located in the Township of Whitchurch. He was a son of Nathaniel and Ann Pearson, the latter being a daughter of William Bunting, formerly of England. Her maiden name was Bidgood, her ancestors having come from England with Wm . Penn. The grandfather of James Pearson was supposed to have been killed during his homeward journey from Quebec to New Jersey after the old French War. (vol. II, p. 478)

W.T. Perkins, saddler and harness-maker, was born on the Island of Jersey, in the English Channel, and emigrated to Canada in October, 1850. He located first at Bradford, County Simcoe, and came to Newmarket in 1858. Mr. Perkins is doing a first-class business, which may be considered the best of its kind in town. He has been a Director of the Mechanics’ Institute for five years, and is now a member of the Independent Order of Oddfellows. Mr. Perkins was married in 1871 to Miss Martha Scarffe, sister of Mr. J.W. Scarffe, Mayor of Brantford, by whom he has a family of four daughters living and one son. (vol. II, p. 479)

B.F. Reesor, merchant miller, Newmarket, is one of a family of eight children, born to Samuel Reesor, a son of Peter Reesor, mentioned elsewhere as an early pioneer of Markham Township. B.F. Reesor was born in Markham Township in 1849, where he lived until 1882, when in company with his brother, F.A. Reesor, he purchased the flour and grist-mill now owned and conducted by Reesor Brothers. The premises measure 60 x 80 feet, with a height of five storeys, and five runs of stones, with a yielding capacity of three hundred and fifty barrels per day. Mr. Reesor’s capabilities as a business man, added to his previous experience as a Councillor and Deputy-Reeve of Markham, were soon taken advantage of by the citizens of Newmarket, and his present position as Councillor is the result, a position doubtless extensible to something higher when time and circumstances shall reveal themselves. (vol. II, p. 479)

Samuel Roadhouse, cabinet-maker and undertaker, is the descendant of a family who emigrated from Yorkshire, England, in 1819, his grandfather and parents settling in Albion Township, Peel County, that year, where they lived until their death. Mr. Roadhouse was born in Albion Township in 1824, and located in Newmarket in 1841, since which date he has by prudence, good management and ability, got together an extensive connection. In the year 1846 he was married to Frances Elizabeth Elvidege, by whom he has a family of seven children, three sons and four daughters. (vol. II, p. 479)

Thomas J. Robertson, barrister, etc., was born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1841, and settled in this county in 1847. He is a member of the Town Board of High School Trustees. (vol. II, p. 480)

Dr. David L. Rogers, physician and surgeon, was born in King Township, York County, in 1836. He graduated at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City, in 1863, and at Victoria University College, Toronto, in 1864. He practised medicine about five years in Newmarket, York County, and five years in Toronto, Woodson County, in Kansas State, after which he returned to Newmarket, where he has since remained in active practice. (vol. II, p. 480)

William Sawden, retired, although he may be termed an early resident of York County, is still only comparatively a recent citizen of Newmarket. He was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1813, and emigrated to Canada in 1837. He devoted himself entirely to farming, and on his location in the Township of Whitchurch, York County, he commenced as hired man. The first farm that he owned was in Mariposa Township, Victoria County; but this he afterwards sold, and bought a farm in concession 9 of Whitchurch. He subsequently bought the lot adjoining his latest purchase, and by other acquisitions succeeded in getting together six hundred acres of land. He was married in 1843 to Rachel Toole, by whom he has a family of two sons, who are both living. (vol. II, p. 480)

Robert Hall Smith, J.P., retired, was born in Penetanguishene, Simcoe County, in 1817, and was, it is stated, the first white child born at that place. He removed with his parents to Toronto in 1819, where they stayed until he was twelve years of age; they then moved to Springfield, Elgin County, form which place after a stay of two years they again returned to Toronto. Robert Hall entered a store as clerk, and continued until 1833, when he removed to Aurora Village, and opened a general store, which he assisted in conducting in partnership with his step-father (Marshall), and in 1837 he removed to Newmarket. In 1839 he married Miss Mary Boyart, by whom he has a family of two sons and three daughters. (vol. II, p. 480)

Sutherland Brothers, merchants. The firm conducts a large general store on Main Street, where a flourishing business is done. It is composed of James, Alexander and William, who are the sons of the late Mr. Donald Sutherland. The latter was born in the County of Caithness, Scotland, in 1815, and in 1840 emigrated to Canada. He came to York County, and was first employed by Mr. William Fraser, of East Gwillimbury Township. Two years later he removed to Schomberg, and took charge of the mill of the late Thomas Brown. After a few years’ experience there he decided to go into business on his own account, and accordingly came to Newmarket, and leased the Coster mill. At the expiration of three years he returned to Schomberg, and rented the mill formerly owned by Mr. Brown. On the completion of the Northern Railway, Mr. Sutherland came back to Newmarket and purchased two mills, the only existing ones in the village, which he operated for many years. He began store-keeping also, and after a time entered into partnership with Mr. Burns, which continued some time, when serious losses by fire compelled them to break the connection, and for a period suspend business. Mr. Sutherland, however, commenced in the mercantile business, which, with the assistance of his sons he carried on for a number of years. Failing health eventually obliged him to retire from active employment, and his sons energetically continued the concern. Mr. Sutherland, sen’r, held numerous offices in connection with local government, prominent among which may be mentioned the first Reeveship of Newmarket. He was also a member of the School
Board, and his abilities being recognized, he was also made a Justice of the Peace. He was also a License Commissioner, and subsequently became chairman of that body. He was married in 1847 to Jane Boddy of Lloydtown, by whom he had seven children. He died in November, 1880. (vol. II, p. 481)

William Terrell, caretaker, Newmarket Cemetery, was born in Devonshire, England, in 1824, and emigrated to Canada in 1870, and at once settled at Newmarket, York County. The cemetery of which Mr. Terrell is caretaker was opened in 1869, and is beautifully situated at the northern extremity of the town limits, on high rolling land, commanding a good view of the town and the surrounding country. Alfred Burns, late of the firm Burns & Sutherland, was the first buried there. Mr. Terrell was married in England in 1848, to Miss Maria Brouse; they have eight children, four sons and four daughters. (vol. II, p. 481)

The North York Reformer is published every Friday morning by the editor and proprietor, Mr. Thomas Ratcliff, at his office, corner of Main and Botsford Streets, and is at the present time regarded as the official organ of the Reform Party in the North Riding of York. It was at first commenced by Messrs. Oliver & Ratcliff at the request of some of the leading Reformers of the Riding, in order to supply a want sorely felt by members of the party, viz.: that of a Liberal paper at political headquarters. This position had previously been filled by the Newmarket Era; but, its editor having opposed the nominee of the Reform Convention in 1875, the paper had gone into Opposition and the party was thus left without an organ in Newmarket. In commencing the Reformer the proprietors made no addition to the number of papers in the Riding, having purchased the plant of the Newmarket Courier, a paper published in the Conservative interest in the building now occupied by Mr. William perkins as a harness shop. The Courier was first launched by Mr. G.M. Bins in 1867, and was conducted by him for about four years, when he sold out to Dr. Playter, who retained the management of it but a short time, and in the year 1872 disposed of the business to Mr. George Fox, from whom the present proprietor purchased it, as above mentioned, in the year 1876. Under the new management the name and politics of the paper underwent an entire change, and the circulation was increased to nearly three times its original number. In the winter of 1877 Mr. Oliver severed his connection with the paper, and his place by Mr. M. Baker, of Whitchurch, until the end of 1878, when he sold his interest to the present proprietor and retired from the business. The Reformer is a large, special-sized sheet, devoted to family reading, and local and political intelligence. It is well-patronized by the Reformers of the riding,as well as by the more liberal-minded Conservatives. Two years after its first number appeared Newmarket, previously Conservative, gave a Reform majority, and since that time it has beren steadily on the increase, the majority for Dr. Widdifield at the last election to the Ontario Legislatuire being one hundred and twenty-eight, a portion of which remarkable increase may very fairly be attributed to the influence exerted through its columns. Its editor has for some years acted on the Board of License Commissioners, an office he preferred to accepting municipal honours. The paper has been treated to a new “dress” of type during the past year, and the proprietor contemplates putting in new machinery at an early date. A very complete job office is connected with the other plant, with which a good business is done. (vol. II, p. 481)

The Royal Hotel, Newmarket, A.K. McKinnon, proprietor. This well-known and popular hotel is one of the best in the locality, and is well-patronized by the travelling public, every accommodation and good attendance being among its characteristics. (vol. II, p. 482)

J.H. Widdifield, M.D., M.R.C.S, London, England, L.R.C.P., Edinburgh, Scotland, M.P.P., was born at Maple Grove Farm in Whitchurch Township in 1845. He has represented the North Riding of York in the Ontario Legislature in the Reform interest since 1875, and at the last election held in February, 1884, he was returned with a majority of eight hundred and fifty-four. Dr. Widdifield is a Justice of the Peace, and formerly, for several years, held the office of Coroner for the County of York. (vol. II, p. 483)

John Wilson, boot and shoe merchant, was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, and emigrated to Canada in 1846. He came to Upper Canada and located in York County, taking up his residence in Newmarket. He opened a store near the old Post-office, but was afterwards burned out, his loss exceeding $2,500. He took possession of his present store in the fall of 1884, where his attention to business promises a large custom, which is certainly deserved. Mr. Wilson was married in 1849 to Miss Ellen Tardy, a native of Wexford, Ireland, by whom he had six children. Henry Wilson is the fourth son in order of the family of John Wilson, and is at present in business with his father. Their store on the west side of Main Street is one well-known, and both father and son have business qualifications of a high order. (vol. II, p. 483)

A.M. Wood, photographer, is a native of Springfield, New York State, and came to Canada in 1856. Previous to his settlement in Newmarket in 1868, he worked in Simcoe County at different points along the Northern Railway. Since locating in Newmarket Mr. Wood has taken considerable interest in matters relating to the social welfare of the inhabitants, especially in the cause of temperance, and at present holds the Presidency of the District Association. He is also connected with the Masonic Order and formerly occupied the position of Master of Richmond Hill Lodge. He was married to Miss Henrietta Victoria Selby, of East Gwillimbury, by whom he has a family of four children. (vol. II, p. 483)