‘C’ surnamesCity of Toronto residents A History of Toronto and County of York

HON. CHIEF JUSTICE M.C. CAMERON, Toronto. Matthew Crooks Cameron, son of John McAlpin Cameron, was born at Dundas, Ontario, on the 2nd day of October, 1822. His father was a descendant of the Camerons of Fassifern, Scotland, and emigrated from Inverness-shire to Upper Canada, in 1819, settling at Dundas, where he engaged in the mercantile business; subsequently dischared the duties of Deputy-Postmaster under Thomas Allen Stayner, then the Imperial Postmaster-General for Canada, at Hamilton, and also Deputy-Clerk of the Crown for the then Gore District. Later he was student-at-law with Sir Allan MacNab, with whom he remained until he was appointed to the first permanent clerkship of committees in the Parliament of Upper Canada, from which office he went to the Canada Company’s office in Toronto, where he held an important position for many years. Coming to this part of the country as he did, when it was yet undeveloped, sparsely settled, and engaging in active life, Mr. Cameron became well and widely known. He died in Toronto in November, 1866, aged seventy-nine years. The name of our subject’s mother was Nancy Foy, a native of Northumberland, England. The education of Matthew Crooks Cameron was obtained first at a school at Hamilton, under a Mr. Randall, and afterwards the District School in Toronto, which he attended for a short time. In 1838 he entered Upper Canada College, where he studied until 1840, when in consequence of an accident when out shooting by which he lost a leg, he had to retire. Two years later he entered the office of Messrs. Gamble & Boulton, of Toronto, as student-at-law, where he remained until Hilary Term, 1849, when he was called to the bar of the Province of Ontario (then Upper Canada). He engaged in Toronto in the practice of his profession, first with Mr. Boulton, his former master. This firm continued until the law partnership of Messrs. Cayley & Cameron was formed, the senior member being the Hon. William Cayley, and English barrister, and at one time Inspector-General of the Province. In 1859 Dr. McMichael entered, the firm then becoming Messrs. Cayley, Cameron & McMichael. Later Mr. Cayley retired, and Mr. E. Fitzgerald became a partner in the business, and his name added to the name and style of the firm, remaining so for several years. On the retirement of Mr. Fitzgerald, Mr. Alfred Hoskin became a partner, and it remained Cameron, McMichael & Hoskin until the senior member’s elevation to the Bench in November, 1878. His appointment was the recognition of true merit and legal ability. As a lawyer he was eminent in every department of his profession, but particularly excelled before a jury; possessing an excellent power of analyzing and arranging facts, combined with an impressive manner of speaking, he delivered his arguments with a logical force and clearness rarely surpassed. The same qualities of mind may also be said to render his rulings and decisions on the Bench equally clear and explicit. He was created a Queen’s Counsel in 1863, and elected a Bencher of the Law Society of Ontario in 1871. The first public office held by Chief Justice Cameron was that of a Commissioner, with Colonel Coffin, appointed by the Government in 1852, to enquire into the causes of accidents, which had been of frequent occurrence, on the Great Western Railway. From 1859, when he represented St. James’ Ward in the City Council, he figured prominently in public life. In 1861, and again a few years later, at the solicitation of many citizens, he contested the Mayoralty unsuccessfully. In 1861 he entered the arena of political life, and sat for North Ontario, in the Canada Assembly, from the general election of that year until the general election of 1863, when he was defeated. But in July, 1864, he was re-elected for the same seat, which he continued to hold until Confederation, when he was again unsuccessful. At the general Provincial election in 1867 he was returned to the Ontario Parliament from East Toronto, and re-elected in 1871 and 1875. He was a member of the Executive Council in Ontario in the Sandfield-Macdonald Administration, from July 20, 1867, until the resignation of the Ministry, December 19, 1871, and with the exception of the last five months of this period, when he was Commissioner of Crown Lands, he held the offices of Provincial Secretary and Registrar. He was also leader, and a very able one, too, of the Opposition, from the general election in December, 1871, until appointed to the Judgeship in the Queen’s Bench, in November, 1878, which position he held until appointed Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in 1884. While in politics Judge Cameron was a formidable opponent of the Reform Party, and aided in forming the Liberal-Conservative Association of Toronto; became its first president, and held that office until his elevation to the Bench. He was also vice-president of the Liberal-Conservative Convention which was assembled in Toronto, September 23rd, 1874. He was one of the promoters and became a Director of the Dominion Telegraph Company, and also of the Confederation Life and the Isolated Risk and Insurance Companies, all of which proved successful enterprises, and have become permanent institutions. In religious view Chief Justice Cameron adheres to the Church of England, of which he is a member, and is also a member of the Caledonian and St. Andrew’s Societies. On December 1st, 1851, he was married in Toronto, to Miss Charlotte Ross, daughter of William Wedd, Esq., of English birth, who immediately prior to his death resided in Hamilton, Ontario. She died January 14th, 1868, leaving three sons and three daughters, who are all still living in Toronto. The eldest son is Dr. Irving Heward Cameron, a practising physician of this city. (vol. II, p. 21)

THOMAS CAMPTON is a native of Leicestershire, England, where he was born February 23rd, 1813. When eighteen years of age he joined the 68th Regiment, British army, and by good conduct attained the rank of sergeant. During his years of service, he spent some time at Gibraltar and Jamaica; and from the latter station he removed with his regiment to Canada. While here he obtained his discharge from the army, and at once came to Toronto, where he established himself in the grocery business. This was in 1842, and three years later he removed to Collingwood, then a new settlement, where was born to him a son; the first white child there. In 1850 he returned to Toronto, where he engaged in the meat business, from which he retired in 1881, and has since lived in private life. (vol. II, p. 22)

FREDERICK CHASE CAPREOL. The name of this gentleman, one of the oldest residents of Toronto, connected as it is with the organization and carrying out of the first railroad constructed in the Province, certainly deserves a prominent place in our pages. Mr. Capreol was born 10th June, 1803, and is the second son of Thomas Capreol, Esq., of Bishop Stortford, Hertfordshire, England. His pedigree on his father’s side is derived from the ancient and ennobled foreign family of the De Capreols, and on his mother’s side equally illustrious, as she was niece to the late Sir Richard Chase, and a relative by marriage of the late Marquis of Salisbury. Mr. Capreol first came to Canada in 1829 to assist in arranging the affairs of the old North-West Fur Company, and having fulfilled his part of the business returned to England in 1831. Two years afterwards he again came to Canada, and shortly after his arrival in New York, married a Miss Skyring, a lady who had been a fellow-passenger with him across the Atlantic. He proceeded to Toronto and determined to settle here, having purchased a large quantity of land at Port Credit. The result of this purchase was a long and tedious lawsuit, in which he was, however, successful. For some time he followed mercantile pursuits, but these he gave up when he conceived the idea of promoting the Northern Railway. It is a well-known fact that to Mr. Capreol the Northern Railway owes its existence, as it was he who projected it, and promoted the design, almost unaided, and at his own expense forwarded the preliminary arrangements. No one can fully estimate the benefits which the services of this gentleman in this respect conferred on Toronto and the country north of it. After the completion of the railway Mr. Capreol proceeded to Europe with his family and travelled on the continent, and whilst in London had the gratification of being presented with a handsome service of plate, given to him on behalf of the citizens of Toronto as a mark of their confidence, esteem and gratitude for the services which he had rendered to their city. Mr. Capreol was also the founder of the first Water and Gas Works in the city, and was once a member of the City Council. Mr. Capreol’s name is also associated with a noble piece of gallantry, which reflects not a little credit on his public spirit. In the month of July, 1843, a gentleman of the name of Thomas Kinnear, residing at Richmond Hill, a much esteemed citizen, together with his housekeeper, were brutally and barbarously murdered during the same day by two of his servants, who after the cold-blooded deed escaped to the United States. The city authorities would not take any action in the matter, and Mr. Capreol, hearing of the whereabouts of the murderers, chartered a steamboat, at twelve o’clock on Sunday night, and at a considerable sacrifice of time and money proceeded to Lewiston, where he succeeded in capturing the fugitives, and brought them to Toronto. They were tried, found guilty, one of them suffered the extreme penalty of the law, and the other, Grace Marks, was sentenced to the Penitentiary for life. A full account of this tragedy will be found in Chapter IV., page 32, of the History of the County of York, embodied in this work. Mr. Capreol on his return from the continent obtained a charter incorporating the Huron and Ontario Ship Canal Company, having for its object the building of a canal between Lakes Huron and Ontario to connect and improve Canada’s great water highway. His indomitable energy and pluck in endeavouring to secure the completion of this great work is well known to most of our citizens. Mr. Capreol has brought up a large family, three sons and eight daughters. His eldest son, J. Lonsdale Capreol, is Clerk of the Executive Council of Ontario. His second son, Frederick Chase, is in the Department of the Interior, Ottawa. His thir son, Alfred Reginald, is in the Imperial Bank. Of his daughters, only one is married, she is the wife of F.O. Cross, Esq., Manager of the Canadian Bank of Commerce at Woodstock. (vol. II, p. 22)

REV. JOHN CARROLL, D.D., was born on Saltkill Island, Passamaquoddy Bay, New Brunswick, on August 8th, 1809, being one of twin sons. He is the son of Joseph and Mary (Ridout) Carroll. In 1809 the family left New Brunswick, and after residing at Maford, Ten Mile Creek, Fairchild’s Creek and Grand River, settled in York at the close of the War of 1812. Their first habitation was a share of Artilleryman Elder’s hut on the west shore of the bay, an edifice which fully eighty years ago tumbled into the water. They next occupied a house at the corner of Duke and George Streets. As Joseph Carroll was a saddler and harness maker by trade he subsequently removed to the corner of Duchess and George Streets, where he opened the regimental harness shop of the 10th Regiment. John Carroll acquired an education at various York primary schools, and received a classical training at a higher school. He then commenced teaching, from which occupation he was called by the authorities of the Methodist Church to become a circuit preacher. He ultimately entered the regular ministry at the Conference of 1829, and continued his duties until 1870, when he was superannuated. During an active ministerial career of forty-two years, Dr. Carroll has been stationed at the leading cities and towns in the Province, among those being London, Hamilton, Ottawa, St. Catharines, Belleville, Prescott and Cobourg. While at the latter place he taught for a year at Victoria College, and attended classes in Greek, Hebrew and Philosophy. For twenty-five years he had charge of districts over some of which he travelled. In 1874 he received the degree of D.D. from the North Carolina State University. Since his superannuation Dr. Carroll has spent his time writing books, chiefly of a religious character. Among them are “Case and His Contemporaries, a History of Methodism in Canada”, “Life of Father Carson”, “Methodist Baptism”, “Exposition Expounded, Defended and Supplemented”. He died at his residence in Toronto after a brief illness, December 13th, 1884, and was buried at St. Catharines. (vol. II, p. 24)

ROBERT CARROLL, of Carrol & Dunspaugh. His father was born in the north of Ireland, where he acquired the building business with his father, who was a Government contractor for many years. He continued with him until he emigrated to Canada in the year 1831, and followed the same line of business in the City of Toronto until his death in the year 1868. His wife, Mary McCallen, was born in the same place. She was the daughter of a farmer, who was of Scotch descent, who now lives on Ontario Street, aged seventy-seven years. On leaving the Old Country they had one daughter, who died on the voyage out. While in York he had three sons, James, Matthew and Robert. James died in Lockport N.Y., to which place his parents moved from Canada, they lived there for six years, during which time three daughters were born, Mary Jane, Anne and Alvarina, the latter died in Buffalo, whither her parents had moved, after ten months trial of Pittsburgh, and where they resided over two years. They returned to Toronto in 1845, and made it their home for life, where another son was born, James W. (1845), who married Sarah Morrison, sister of James Morrison, brassfounder, Adelaide Street West. He went to Winnipeg, where he now resides with his wife and one son, having lost three daughters in Toronto. Matthew married in Toronto and made his home in New York, U.S., and died there in 1869, leaving a wife, son and one daughter, who now resides in Toronto. Mary Jane married J. Segsworth, wholesale jeweller and importer, Wellington Street East, near Yonge, son of John Segsworth, an old pioneer who emigrated from Yorkshire, England, to Little York in the year 1831, and who carried on a successful business as waggon-maker on Richmond Street West, from which he retired on a competency, and died in the old homestead in 1871. Mary Jane is now the mother of eleven children, ten of whom are now living with her and her husband at 137 Church Street. Anne was married to Mr. D.J. Bradley, from Yorkshire, England, engaged in the dry-goods line; she had seven children, four of whom are now alive, one son and three daughters. Robert, the subject of this sketch, was educated at the old Model School, which stood on a site of the residence of the present Lieutenant-Governor. He learned the building business with the firm of Metcalf, Wilson & Forbes, during which time they had the contract for St. James’ Cathedral, Trinity College, Normal School, and the old Post Office, on the west side of Toronto Street. After his apprenticeship he commenced business as builder and contractor. He married Catharine Jamieson on 15th December, 1864, daughter of Wm. Jamieson, lumber merchant, one of the old pioneers from Ayrshire, Scotland, who arrived in Little York in 1831 and died in 1875, by whom he had six daughters. Three are now alive: the eldest, Catharine Marion, Hamilton; second, Mary Louise; the youngest, Elma Burns. Their mother died April 18th, 1883. He continued in the same business until he formed a partnership in the year 1868 with his brother-in-law, W.M. Jamieson, in builders’ supplies. The latter was a prominent Mason and York Pioneer, having come to Canada with his father when seven years old. He continued this business until the death of W.M. Jamieson in 1877, after which time W.F. Dunspaugh took his place (1879) in which he, W.F., continued until he effected another partnership with Francy, on the Ohio River, U.S., for the manufacturing of sewer pipes, which firm is know as the Great Western Fire Clay Company, Toronto, Jefferson County, Ohio, U.S. His father W.H. Dunspaugh, took his place in the old firm 1882, which now stands Carroll & Dunspaugh, dealers in and importers of sewer pipe and general builders’ supplies, 66 Adelaide Street West. (vol. II, p. 24)

JOHN JOSEPH CASSIDY, M.D., was born in Toronto, of Irish parents, in 1843. He received his early education at a private school, and also at a school taught by the Christian Brothers. At the age of eleven years he was sent to St. Michael’s College, Toronto, where he remained six years, afterwards spending three years at Ste. Anne de la Pocatiere, Province of Quebec. In 1864 he matriculated in medicine in Toronto University, graduating as M.B. in 1868, and as M.D. in 1869. At the examination for M.B. he carried off the Star gold medal for Anatomy. He began the practice of medicine in this city in 1868, and has now accumulated a large and prosperous patronage. In 1868 he was appointed physician to the House of Providence, Toronto, and he remained the sole medical attendant of that institution for seven years. In 1869 he was appointed a member of the visiting staff of the Toronto General Hospital, a position which he maintained until 1884, when he was transferred to the consulting staff. He is a member of the Provincial Board of Health of Ontario, being the committee on ” the heating and ventilation of buildings”, and a member of the committee on “publication”. Dr. Cassidy married, in 1878, Miss A.A. Messner, of Formosa, Bruce County, Ont. He is a Catholic. (vol. II, p. 26)

THE CAWTHRA FAMILY. In the beginning of the present century Joseph Cawthra came from England to America and settled on a grant of land still in the possession of his descendants near Port Credit, where, among the Indians, the name “Etobekous” was given him and his family, from the number of elder trees on the shore; Etobicoke being the Indian name for elder tree. Mr. Cawthra’s enterprise soon brought him to Toronto, then called York, where he opened the first wholesale business established there, and where for many years he was a prominent citizen, and died at an advanced age in 1842. His widow survived him and died at the age of eighty-six, in Toronto, in 1847. Their second son, John Cawthra, served his country in the War of 1812; he was with General Brock at the capture of Detroit, and at Queenston. He settled at Newmarket, and represented the County of Simcoe in the Parliament of Upper Canada as its first member, on its separation from the County of York. He died at Newmarket in 1851, leaving three sons and one daughter. William Cawthra, the youngest son of Joseph Cawthra, was for many years a well-known citizen of Toronto. After his education, first in the early school of Archdeacon Stuart, and afterwards at Montreal, he remained with his father in business in Toronto, and though he took an active and prominent part in the stirring political events of those early days, he never entered Parliament, although often solicited by his party and friends to do so. He married Sarah Ellen, daughter of the late J. Crowther, who survives him. He died at Toronto in 1880, in the seventy-ninth year of his age. (vol. II, p. 26)

JAMES CHAMBERLIN, hotel-keeper, Toronto, was born in this city in 1847. His father, Erial Chamberlin, was born in Albany in 1793, and at the close of the War of 1812 removed to Canada and located on land about fourteen miles out of Yonge Street, where he lived until his death. His mother was Mary Fulton, who was born in Richmond Hill. Her father was Colonel James Fulton, who fought in the War of 1812 and who died of cholera at Little York. While the custodian of some valuable despatches, he was taken prisoner at Niagara by some Americans, but managed to get away from them; he was followed to an hotel which was surrounded all night by a guard, and in the morning was again taken prisoner, but again effected his escape. Mr. Chamberlin’s maternal grandmother was a Munshaw, the first family to settle upon a farm on Yonge Street. The Munshaws came to Little York from Pennsylvania in an ox-cart by way of Hamilton. Mr. Chamberlin has been in the hotel business for about four years and is married to a daughter of William Funston, of this city. His brother Charles, a builder, lives at 450 Parliament Street. When the Munshaw family landed in Little York, one log building used for a custom-house was all the signs of civilization to be seen. (vol. II, p. 27)

COLONEL WILLIAM CHEWETT was born in London, England, 21st December, 1752. In early life he was educated with a view of entering the East India Company’s service, and at the age of eighteen years passed his examination and received an appointment as engineer and hydrographer, with orders to sail for the East. Unfortunately he was attacked with small-pox shortly before the departure of the vessel to which he was appointed, and was left in England. On his recovery he decided upon going to America, and sailed for Quebec in 1771. He very soon received full employment from the Government in surveying, making charts and maps of the rivers and country in the neighbourhood. When the America Revolutionary War, which broke out in 1775, extended to Lake Champlain and the vicinity of Quebec, Mr. Chewett served in the Quebec Militia, and in the course of the siege, when off duty, assisted in the engineers’ department. After the defeat of the Americans he was appointed acting pay-master of the works to the Engineers’, Quartermaster’s and Naval Departments for the Ports of St. John, Isle aux Noix, and their dependencies on Lake Champlain, in which office he remained until 1785. In 1786 he took charge of the District of Lunenburg, formerly called the Eastern District of Upper Canada, and now comprising the easternmost counties of Ontario, and there surveyed land and located the disbanded troops and loyalists. It was while there engaged that he met and afterwards married, in 1791, a Scottish lady (Isabella) the daughter of Major Archibald Macdonnell, of the Long Sault, whose family left Scotland on account of their active and rebellious support of the cause of the Pretender. In 1792 he was employed, under Governor Simcoe at Kingston, in reconstructing the map of the Province by dividing it into new Districts and Counties, previous to its being separated into Upper and Lower Canada. In 1796 he accompanied Governor Simcoe to Newark (Niagara) which was the temporary seat of Government till removed to Toronto, where he was employed in surveying and preparing buildings for its reception. He also about this time (1779) commenced the erection of a house for his own use, which he afterwards occupied until his death, and which is still standing (1885) somewhat modified by an additional storey. In 1802, upon the retirement of Mr. Surveyor-General Smith, he was appointed Deputy Surveyor-General, conjointly with Mr. Ridout, who afterwards received the appointment of Surveyor-General. During the American War of 1812-14 he was in command of the 3rd Regiment of York Militia and in the battle of York, 27th April, 1813, he was, in the absence of Major General Sheaffe, in command of the forces; and when the townspeople capitulated to the greatly superior numbers of the Americans, he, with Major Allen, arranged the terms for the surrender of the town. In the engagement, while riding with Captain Loring, of the 104th Regiment, he was severely injured by the explosion of the powder magazine which caused so great a loss of life among the American troops. After the war he continued to serve the Government until 1832, when he was allowed to retire on full pay after a service in numerous departments for upwards of fifty-eight years. Colonel Chewett died in Toronto on 19th September, 1849, at the advanced age of ninety-seven years. (vol. II, p. 27)

JAMES GRANT CHEWETT, eldest son of Colonel Chewett, was born 9th November, 1793, at Cornwall. In early life he was educated at the then historical school, in that town, kept by the late Bishop Strachan; he afterwards was engaged in the surveys which his father superintended, and for thirty years he was employed by the Government in what was then known as the Surveyor-General’s Department. He ultimately became Deputy Surveyor-General of the Upper Province, and retired with a pension when the seat of Government was removed to Kingston. During the War of 1812 he served in his father’s regiment, and actively assisted in blowing up the powder magazine. In 1826 Mr. Chewett married, at Toronto, Martha Smith, second daughter of Richard Robison, who was of Scottish descent and born in L’Assomption, 1780, and afterwards settled at Napanee, where he formed a business partnership with Mr. Cartwright. In 1832 Mr. Chewett commenced on his property, at the corner of King and York Streets, a block of buildings, afterwards known by his name, one of which formed in those days a large and commodious hotel, kept by a Mr. Keating under the name of the British Coffee House. In 1835, as one of the City Fathers and Chairman of the Finance Committee, he arranged the system of one and two dollar debentures redeemable in one year with interest, and which then passed current in Canada as money. The few still outstanding are greatly prized by the curious. After Mr. Chewett’s retirement from public life he took an active part in the management of the Bank of Upper Canada, of which he was many years the Vice-President. From that establishment he passed to the Presidency of the Bank of Toronto when that institution was organized, and remained in office until his death, which occurred suddenly on 7th December, 1862. Mr. Chewett’s kindliness of disposition and gentlemanly manners made him a universal favourite. He was thoroughly acquainted with the country in which he was born and brought up, and to the close of his life took an active and intelligent interest in everything which transpired. Mr. Chewett left issue two sons and a daughter; the eldest, Dr. William C. Chewett, was born in Toronto, 16th August, 1828, was educated at the Upper Canada College, and afterwards took the degree of Doctor of Medicine at the University of Toronto in 1851, the first regular student of that institution upon whom the degree had been conferred. Dr. Chewett never practised his profession, but turned his attention to other pursuits. He married, in 1857, Maria Susan, second daughter of Henry Ranney, Esq., and English gentleman now deceased, who settled many years ago in Ohio. Dr. Chewett, with his family now owns the entire stock of the Rossin House Hotel Company; the land on which the hotel stands being in the family since the original grant from the Crown. (vol. II, p. 29)

GEORGE CHEYNE is a native of Tyrone, Ireland, and came to Canada in 1830. On his arrival he bought one hundred acres of land in the County of Peel, and at once proceeded to farm it, having in early life been brought up to that occupation. He remained here about thirty years, and after spending ten years in Orangeville he came to Toronto, where he has since resided. He married in 1831 Miss Walker, daughter of Robert Walker, of Toronto Township, by whom he had a family of six sons and three daughters; three sons and three daughters are living. Mr. Cheyne is a Conservative in politics, and in religion belongs to the Canada Methodist Church.(vol. II, p. 29)

ALEXANDER CHISHOLM, deceased, was born at Cromarty, on the Highlands of Scotland. He came to Canada with his parents; his father settled at Kingston, and served during the War of 1812, and subsequently died at Owen Sound. Alexander settled at York in 1848, where he was married, by the late Dean Grassett, to a daughter of Lawrence Burns. He soon afterwards engaged in the grocery and dry-goods trade, for several years. He was also manager for Isaac Gilmore and R.A. Hoskins, but owing to failing health he retired from business. He was a member of Holy Trinity Church for many years; at his death he left a family of one son and three daughters: Catharine, married Philip Dwyer, of Troy, N.Y.; Alicia, married William Keiting, of Portsmouth, England. The third daughter married Walter Page, a grocer, of Yorkville. (vol. II, p. 30)

JOHN C. CLAPP, M.D., M.C.P.S.O., was born in New York, U.S., and is the son of James A. Clapp, a mechanic and farmer, who resided in Seneca County, N.Y. Mr. Clapp, sen’r, was a native of Connecticut, and descended from a family whose ancestry is traceable as far back as the eleventh century. In the year 1017, one Osgod Clapp, a Danish noble, settled in England, and was attached to the Court of Canute. For services rendered in the council and war he became possessed of certain lands at Salcombe, in Devonshire, which are still in the hands of the family, and on which at the present time still stands, an old ancestral pile. In 1830 Ebenezer Clapp, lineal descendant of Osgod Clapp, settled in Massachusetts, U.S., and was for many years a printer of the Hampshire (Mass.), Gazette, and was the progenitor of his race on this side of the Atlantic. The subject of our sketch studied his profession at Cincinnati, Ohio, and afterwards engaged in practice in Western New York. He came to Toronto in 1861, and since his advent has obtained a good share of patronage. (vol. II, p. 30)

THOMAS CLARK, son of William Clark, of Wilton, near Pickering, Yorkshire, England, was born in 1808, where he lived till the death of his father in 1829; his mother having died some months before. The following year he emigrated to Canada, and after living in what was then known as Little York about two years, he leased and lived on a farm in West York, where some two years later he married Eleanor, daughter of Francis and Mary Linton, natives of Alliston, near Pickering, England. In 1842 he bought and farmed lot 15, 2nd concession, East York; his wife died in February, 1844, leaving three sons and four daughters. In 1847 he married Nancy, daughter of James and Mary Miller, of East York, by whom he had two sons and four daughters. He continued to reside on his farm till 1884, when he sold out and retired, and now lives at his residence, 93 Bleeker Street, Toronto. (vol. II, p. 30)

JOHN A. CLINDINNING, boat-builder, was born in Kingston, Ont., in 1826, being the fifth in a family of six children. He was educated and brought up in Toronto, having come here with his parents in 1830. In 1849 he commenced keeping an hotel on what is now the Island, but what was then only a peninsular; he continued the hotel business, as well as boat-building, across the bay until the great storm of 1860, in which the waters of the lake washed completely over the peninsular. He then removed to the city, where he has been ever since. He has obtained the reputation of building some of the finest pleasure boats ever floated on Toronto Bay. (vol. II, p. 31)

ROBERT W. CLINDINNING, printer, was born in the North of Ireland in 1815. His father was David Clindinning, born in the County Monaghan, and a tailor by trade; his mother was a daughter of John Clark, farmer, of the same county. In 1819 his parents with their three children, Matilda, Robert and Emily, left Belfast, Ireland, and emigrated to Canada, where they settled at Gananoque, in Leeds County. Mr. David Clindinning, sen’r, worked at his trade for six years, at the end of which he removed to Kingston, Ont., where he kept an hotel at the Market Square, called the Hibernian Inn; while there his son John A. was born. In 1830 he removed to Little York, where he opened an hotel on Church Street, one door north of what is now the Public Library. He afterwards removed to Rochester, N.Y., and subsequently to Kiantone, N.Y., where he died, May 26th, 1856. His wife died in Toronto, January 30th, 1855. His third son, John A., was born in Kingston. Of his five children, the only living ones are Robert Wilson and John A. Robert W. Clindinning was educated at Kingston, and began to learn the trade of a printer on May 6th, 1831, in the office of the Courier, a Conservative paper, published by George Gurnett, who became Mayor of Toronto in 1837; he was six years there. When that paper was discontinued he worked in the office of the Palladium, a moderate Conservative journal, published by Charles Fothergill; he was a year on that paper. Next he worked for a year on the Star, published by J.F. Cootes, and then in the Upper Canada Gazette, the Government office. From 1840 until 1843 he worked on the Church, a weekly journal, published by Henry Rowsell, and edited by Bishop Bethune, who was then Archdeacon; the Church was removed to Cobourg in 1843. In was in 1843 that the late Hon. George Brown came to Toronto and unfurled the Banner; only three or four printers were employed on that paper, and those who first set type in the office were John McLean, foreman, James Lumsden and our subject. In the following year the Banner was merged into the Globe, which was published in an office comprising two rooms, on the corner of Yonge and King Streets. It was printed on a hand press. It was in the Banner that the article entitled “A Ministerial Crisis”, written by Mr. Peter Brown, Hon. George Brown’s father, and which favoured the Baldwin Government, appeared; the article changed the paper in a great measure. Mr. Clindinning worked on the Globe for three years, and then bought a printing office in New York, which he sold to Robert R. Smiley, the founder of the Hamilton Spectator. He spent another year on the Globe, after which he went on the British Colonist, a moderate Conservative journal, published by the late Hugh Scobie, on King Street. At Mr. Scobie’s death in 1853, the paper was sold to Mr. Samuel Thompson, who continued it until 1860; Sheppard & Morrison then took charge of it; it was Sheppard who wrote the celebrated article “Whither are we Drifting?” In 1860 the copyright was sold to the Leader, on which paper Mr. Clindinning worked from 1860 until 1878; since the latter year he has been working in Dudley & Burns’ book room. Mr. Clindinning has seen much that was exciting in the early days of Toronto. He witnessed the execution of a York farmer who roasted his child, and that of Julia Murdock, the servant girl who poisoned with arsenic her mistress, the wife of John Roddy, merchant; he also saw the execution of Lount and Matthews, for participating in the Mackenzie Rebellion. Mr. Clindinning has been a strong Reformer. One of his sisters, Matilda, died of the cholera in 1834. (vol. II, p. 31)

NICHOLAS CLINKENBROOMER, deceased, was of German origin, being the son of a wealthy gentleman. When a young man he had every advantage of a good education, and on reaching his majority he had acquired three languages, English, French and German. One evening when walking out in a sea-port town in his native country, he was taken by a press-gang with others, and hurried on board of an English ship of war and brought to Quebec, where he fought under Major-General Wolfe upon the Plains of Abraham, 1759; also participated in the battle of Bunker Hill, Boston, June 17th, 1795; and served at Saratoga under General Burgoyne, June 17th, 1777, where the British forces were made prisoners of war to Major-General Gates of the American army. After the close of the Revolution, he had the choice of being returned to his native country or of receiving a grant of land in Upper Canada. He accepted the latter, and drew one hundred acres near Dundas, Ontario. He first took up his residence at Newark (now Niagara), where he worked for William Jones, an army tailor. One year later he engaged with the North-Western Fur Company, as an Indian trader. In 1795 he settled in York, on the corner of what is now Adelaide and Jarvis Streets, and began business on the present site of the Post Office, being the first tailor in York. On January 4th, 1799, there not being an English Church clergyman within eighteen miles of the place, he was married by John Wilson, J.P., to Sarah White, the witnesses being John Clarke and Hugh McPhee. He died at York in 1807, leaving three sons, the eldest, Charles, born on Duchess Street in 1790. When a mere boy he was bound out as an apprentice to Jordan Post, the first silversmith and watch-maker of York. After serving his apprenticeship he began business for himself on the south side of King Street, near Church, which he continued until 1870. He married Hannah, daughter of John Anderson, of Eglinton, by whom he left eight children. In politics he was a strong Reformer, and subscribed for the first copy of the Leader issued in Toronto. The Globe was a welcome visitor at his residence until his death. Although repeatedly solicited to accept municipal honours, he declined. Many of the old families of York retain silverware and clocks made by his skilful hand, and although nearly a century old they show but little the effects of age. Charles Edward, 71 Major Street, eldest son of the above, was born in Toronto in 1841, and married Martha, daughter of John Campbell. Eliza, the fourth daughter, married John Alexander, a native of York, at whose residence, Baldwin Street, her father passed the remaining years of his life and died in 1881. Thomas, the youngest, married Sarah, daughter of John Wright, of Parkdale. Joseph Clinkenbroomer, deceased, the second son of Nicholas and Sarah Clinkenbroomer, was born at York in 1801. At the age of fourteen was bound out to James Ross, a tailor of York, with whom he served seven years. The price he received for making a suit of clothes was five dollars. He was twice married, first to Theresa, eldest daughter of Jonathan Hale; second to Ann Finck. He died May 24th, 1884, being the oldest native-born resident of York, except one. Three sons, and one daughter survive him. William Henry, the eldest, was born in Toronto, 1834. At the age of fourteen he went to the Township of Vaughan and learned the trade of carpenter and joiner; when twenty-two years of age he married Elizabeth, youngest daughter of Donald Gilchrist, from the Island of Islay. In 1867, during the Fenian Raids, he served six months on the frontier at Fort Erie, in the Volunteer Corps, and under Major George D. Denison. Since that date he has been engaged in contracting and building. In early life he acquired the trade of blacksmith and is at present located at 667 Queen Street West. In 1866 he married Ann, daughter of John Sweetman. (vol. II, p. 32)

W.C. COOK was born in the parish of Houston, Norfolk, England, being the son of one Warrener Cook. Our subject came to Canada in 1818, and for one year followed boating on the Ottawa. He came to this city in 1830, and for some time was head wheelsman on a boat that traded between Kingston and Toronto and other ports. He next settled in Kingston, and opened a general store where he remained two years, subsequently returning to Toronto and purchasing some property on King Street. This was in 1830, and the price paid for sixty-six feet was $300. He also owned three vessels which traded on the lakes. Mr. Cook has been twice married, first to Maria, daughter of James Ellis, a wollen draper of Nottinghamshire, England. His second wife was Eliza Cramp, who was a native of Kent. He has one son and two daughters living. Mr. Cook is a Reformer in politics, and in religion a member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. He is the eldest living ratepayer in St. David’s Ward, and has paid taxes since 1834. (vol. II, p. 34)

RUEBEN COONS, real estate agent, was born in the Township of Matilda, County of Dundas, in 1825, being the third son of Jacob and Rebecca (Brady) Coons. Mr. Coons’ father and grandfather were U.E. Loyalists, who served all through the American War of 1812. On his father’s side his people came direct from Holland, his grandfather settled in the Township of Matilda, County of Dundas, with his four sons. His father was engaged in farming until 1829, when he removed with his family to Prescott, where he died in 1882, aged ninety-five years. His grandfather died on his farm in the Township of Matilda. Rueben Coons spent his schooldays in Prescott, under the instruction of the Rev. Reuben Tupper, after which he began business as a clerk, with his uncle Samuel Brady, who was in partnership with Mr. Horton, M.P. He kept a general store in Prescott. He remained there four years, and then went to work for a man named Alfred Jones. In 1836 he went to Kingston with his brother Nicholas, who engaged in the dry-goods business; he was clerk for him eight years. In June, 1844, he came to Toronto with his brother, who opened a dry-goods store on King Street, opposite Toronto Street. After three years he served Romain Bros., as clerk, for one year. He then spent a year in Hamilton and Brantford, and afterwards returned to Toronto, where he has been ever since. He worked for Peter Patterson; after that he entered the employ of the Grand Trunk Railway Company, he was there twelve years, furnishing supplies to the railroad men. After that he went to William Burke, where he ran a planer four years, since which time he has acted in the capacity of a general agent, renting houses, etc. He is a member of the Queen Street Methodist Church, being a steward and treasurer of the poor fund of that church. In politics he is a Conservative. His first wife was Frances E., daughter of John Murchison; and his second wife Anne, daughter of James Watson. He has one daughter living. (Vol. II, p. 34)

WILLIAM CORNER, deceased, was born in Yamaska, Province of Quebec, Canada, in 1831. He was the third son of Charles Corner. In 1852 he became associated with the mechanical department of the Grand Trunk Railway as car foreman, which position he held until his death in 1884, being at that time the oldest employee on the road. In 1848 he married, in Montreal, a daughter of Robert Finley; he left five sons and five daughters. He belonged to the A.O.U.W., from which his family received $2,000; he also belonged to the Royal Arcanum, from which his family received $3,000. He joined the Freemasons twenty-five years previous to his death, and continued a member of that fraternity. His son, John J., lives over the Don. (vol. II, p. 35)

GEORGE GILLESPIE CRAWFORD, Doctor of Medicine, was born in 1809, on St. Joseph’s Island, where his father, Louis Crawford, a U.E. Loyalist in New York State, was in the employ of the Northern Land Company. His father afterwards went to England, where he died. His mother was Jessie Mitchell, daughter of Dr. Mitchell, of the 8th Regiment. Our subject being young when his father died, he was taken care of by his uncle’s partner, George Gillespie, who had him educated at Bothwell. He afterwards took a course at Edinburgh University. He then became an apprentice with Dr. Alexander Gillespie, with whom he served his time. In 1829 he came to Canada and went to Penetanguishene, where he succeeded his uncle, Dr. David Mitchell, as surgeon in the 8th King’s Own Regiment. In 1830 he settled permanently in Toronto, and began a business partnership with Newbigen & Co., as a sleeping partner. Dr. Crawford has been twice married; first, to Marion Maitland in 1855; his second wife was Elizabeth, widow of James Sams (one of the English Cricketing Eleven) and daughter of Sergeant Hurley, Her Majesty’s 81st Regiment. He has three daughters and two sons. (vol. II, p. 35)

COLONEL F.W. CUMBERLAND, deceased, was born at London, England, September 10th, 1820. After receiving a liberal education he served several years apprenticeship as an architect, and later entered the service of the Great Western Railway Company, London, England. He subsequently filled a Government appointment in the Portsmouth dockyards, until 1848. One year later he came to Toronto, received the appointment of Engineer of the Home District, and had charge of the York Roads from 1849. For a period of ten years, he followed his profession of architect, during which time he designed St. James’ Cathedral, the old Post Office, and the Normal School. In 1852 Mr. W.G. Storm became a partner in his business, which continued for seven years, during which time they designed the University of Toronto, Osgoode Hall, and many other public and private buildings. During the great Exhibition held in London, England, he visited that city as one of the Canadian representatives of our Government. In 1859 he received the appointment of Chief Engineer of the Northern Railroad, the follwing year became Managing Director, which position he held until his death, 1881. Under his efficient management the road made great progress, and by many kind and generous acts, he greatly endeared himself to the officials and employees, and as a tribute to his memory, they erected, at Allendale, after his death, a bronze monument. In 1861 he organized a regiment of mechanics, called the 10th Royals, of which he received a commission as Colonel. During the Fenian Raid in 1866, he largely assisted the staff by superintending the transportation of the troops. In 1865, he received the appointment of Provincial Aide-de-Camp, from which he retired in 1868, receiving the thanks of Lord Dufferin. At the time of his death he was a member of the Masonic body, one of the Council of Trinity College, Vice-President of the Canadian Institute, and member of the St. George’s Society, of which he was President in 1855 and 1856. He was also President of the Mechanics’ Institute. In politics he was a Conservative, and represented the District of Algoma in the Ontario Legislature for three years, and for one year occupied a seat in the House of Commons, during which time he was considered a man of quick perception, good judgment and a fluent speaker. He ever retained his youthful spirit. At the time of his death he was President of the Toronto Cricket Club. His esteemed wife, Wilmot Bramley, by whom he left a family of five children, one son and four daughters, survived him at the age of sixty-three. Barlow Cumberland was born at Portsmouth, England, 1849; came to Toronto the same year, where he was educated at the Grammar School, and subsequently at Cheltenham College, England; afterwards took a degree of M.A., at Trinity College, Toronto, entered Osgoode Hall and studied law, under Osler & Moss, until 1871, since which time he has been General Passenger Agent for various railway and steamship lines. He has also held a captaincy of the 10th Royals since 1874, and was elected President of the St. George’s Society in 1883. (vol. II, p. 36)

PATRICK CUNNINGHAM (Old Fort) was born in Dublin, Ireland, 1842. He came to Canada at the time the Trent affair was likely to lead to war between Great Britain and the United States, with the 16th Foot, under the command of Colonel Peacock, and remained in Montreal about two years. In 1863 he came to Toronto and assisted in establishing the first military school in Canada. After handing it over to the 47th Regiment he did duty in several cities of Western Canada, and also at the Thorold Instructive Camp, all in connection with the service. In 1867 he gave up matters military, and entered the Railway Company’s service for three years, part of which time he acted as conductor. A knowledge of carpentering gave him the opportunity of exercising his talents in that direction for ten years, and even now he occasionally handles the tools of his trade. Mr. Cunningham has been a member of the Queen’s Own for eleven years, ten of which he has occupied the honourable position of Sergeant-Major. (vol. II, p. 37)