D and E surnamesCity of Toronto residents A History of Toronto and County of York

EDWARD DACK, boot and shoemaker, 73 King Street West, was born in Stradbally, Queen’s County, Ireland, in 1834. His father, Matthew Dack, was a hardware merchant, and emigrated to Canada with his family in 1834. He began a boot and shoe business in Kingston, and afterwards engaged in that line in Toronto, in the place now occupied by his son. He died in 1842. Since then the business has been carried on by his son, who does a large trade. In 1850 Edward Dack married Jane Nixon, by whom he had four sons and three daughters. He has one son in business in Toronto (E. Dack & Son), and one in the United States. Mr. Dack does not take a very active part in politics; he votes for principle rather than party. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and in his seventy-first year still continues hale and hearty. (vol. II, p. 37)

W. DARLINGTON, deceased, is a native of Shropshire, England, where he was born in 1814. He came out to Canada in 1849, and engaged in business as a felt and gravel roofer, which he continued to conduct until his death, April 18th, 1881. He was the first to introduce the felt and gravel roofing business in this country, and being a man of energy, ability and steady habits, he amassed considerable property. His wife’s maiden name was Frances Burton; she was from England also. Mr. Darlington was a member of the Toronto Hunt and Gun Clubs, and, being a splendid rider as well as a capital shot, added in no small degree to the reputation enjoyed by the respective clubs. He was a Reformer in politics, and a member for upwards of twenty years of the Richmond Street Methodist Church. At his death he left one son, named W.H. Darlington, who is engaged in job printing; he resides at 63 ? Mutual Street. (vol. II, p. 37)

JOHN DAVIS is a native of Staffordshire, England, and came to Canada in 1880. Three years later he accepted his present position as caretaker of the Toronto Medical School. (vol. II, p. 38)

SAMUEL H. DEFRIES was born in Toronto, being the son of Robert Defries, a native of Devonport, County of Devon, England, who came to Little York, now Toronto, in 1829. The latter was for thirty-six years Postmaster in the Legislative Assembly, and after Confederation occupied the same position in the House of Commons, till his death in 1871. He died at his residence on Old Mill Road, and was buried by the York Pioneers, of which body he was a member. His wife was Susan, daughter of George K. Fealstead, from Tyrone, Ireland, by whom he had a family of six sons, viz.: Richard, Robert, George, Samuel, John and Mark; the last named was shot at Ridgeway, during the Fenian Raid of 1866, being at that time Corporal in No. 3 Company, Queen’s Own Rifles. The subject of this sketch, Samuel H., at the age of fourteen went on a whaling voyage in the ship Navigator, of Edgartown, Mass., U.S., which occupation he followed seven years, then returned to Toronto, and has since been in the employ of the Grand Trunk Railway Company. In 1859, he married Sophia, daughter of George Ernest, of Toronto, by whom he has one child, a daughter. The only other surviving member of the family of Robert Defries is Richard, the eldest son. (vol. II, p. 38)

JAMES ACLAND DE LA HOOKE, surgeon, is a native of Plymouth, Devonshire, England. He was born in 1814, and studied his profession at the Hunterian Theatre of Anatomy, King’s College, London University, and St. George’s Hospital, of that city, and was granted his diploma by the Royal College of Surgeons, England, in the year 1837. Two years after this he came to Canada and settled in Weston, where he practised his profession for many years. In 1870 he came to Toronto, where he now resides, and still practises his profession. In 1872 he was appointed a coroner for Toronto and County of York. Dr. De La Hook was in 1842 gazetted Surgeon to the first Huron Regiment of Militia, and has been attached to various regiments in the Province. In 1879 he was promoted to the rank of Surgeon Major, and he at present occupies the position of Senior Surgeon Major in the Dominion. Dr. De La Hook has twice married, first to Miss Sarah England, who died at Weston in 1846. His second union was with Miss Maria Louisa Denison. He has three sons living, James Acland, E. Dillon A., and T.D. Auley. (vol. II, p. 38)

CHARLES LESLIE DENISON, Dufferin Street, was born in York in 1841, his father being George Taylor Denison. He is the youngest child by his father’s third wife. He has been engaged in farming nearly all his life, and now owns property in Toronto. He has been a member of the York Township Council. In 1859 he was commissioned a Cornet in the Governor-General’s Body Guard and received a lieutenant’s commission in 1861, but is now on the retired list. In 1882 he married a daughter of the late E.C. Fisher. (vol. II, p. 39)

E.P. DENISON was born in Weston in 1835, his father being Thomas John Denison, a farmer. He spent his early life in Weston, farming and store-keeping. In 1878 he removed to Toronto. He is now, and has been for twelve years, connected with the Governor-General’s Body Guard, in which he holds the rank of Captain. In Nov., 1882, he married a daughter of Major John Paul, of Weston. (vol. II, p. 39)

CAPTAIN JAMES DICK is a native of Argyleshire, Scotland, and was born in 1826. At the age of sixteen he began life as a sailor before the mast in the merchant service. He came to Canada in 1838, and took up his residence in Toronto, and in 1839, in conjunction with his brother, Thomas Dick, commenced sailing on the lakes, an occupation which they successfully followed for many years. His connection with the different lines of steamers which operated in the early days was large and varied, and we ought not to omit to mention that Captain Dick, in company with several other influential celebrities, ran the first steamer on the north shore of Lake Superior. This was in 1858. The same combination has the “Mail” contract from Collingwood to Fort Garry, and we may incidentally notice that one letter and two newspapers occupied the bag on the first trip, in 1858. (vol. II, p. 39)

JAMES ISAAC DICKEY was born in Belfast, Ireland, and came to Toronto in 1847. He sailed in company with his brother, the remainder of the family coming the year after. Both parents have died since their arrival. James was a machinist by trade, and for a year worked in this city for Mr. Spencer, whose establishment was on Yonge Street. He subsequently obtained a situation as Mechanical Superintendent at the Susquehanna Depot of the New York and Erie Railway. In 1852 he returned to Toronto and, in company with his brother and brother-in-law, purchased a lot on Beverley Street, on which they built and established the Soho Foundry and steam engine works. This business was conducted with success until 1876, when James and Nathaniel Dickey retired, leaving the business to Mr. Neil, their brother-in-law, who conducted it as Neil & Son. At Mr. Neil’s death, in 1879, the business was closed. Mr. Dickey took an active interest in the formation of the 10th Royals Regiment. (vol. II, p. 39)

JOHN DILL, painter, was born on Bay Street, Little York, in 1833. His father was Alexander Dill and came to Canada from the North of Ireland in 1827. In 1828 he married Jane, daughter of Robert McCormick, by whom he had the following children: Sarah, married James Hughes, Toronto; Margaret, married J. Ashfield, Toronto; William, lives in New Orleans, La.; Mary Ann, married Alfred Booth, Toronto; Robert, lives in Toronto; Jane, lives in Cleveland, O.; Elizabeth, a widow, lives in Toronto. Alexander Dill worked in George Ketchum’s tannery, corner of Yonge and Queen Streets, for twelve years; then he was employed in the sheriff’s Office and in the Police Office, until his death in 1851. He served in the Rebellion of 1837-8. His father and mother came to Canada one year after he came out. John Dill was six years in the employ of A.R. Leonard, with whom he learned his trade. He afterwards started business for himself and has continued it ever since. In 1853 he was married to Sarah Ann, only daughter of William Hughes. In politics he is a strong Conservative, and takes an active part in political matters. He sat at the Council Board, during 1876-7-8, as a representative of St. Patrick’s Ward. In religion he is a Presbyterian. Mr. Dill was connected with the Masonic Society, with the Orange Body and with the Irish Protestant Benevolent Association. (vol. II, p. 40)

JOHN DIXON, carriage manufacturer, was born in Toronto, March 8th, 1837, and is the youngest of a family of five children, born to William and Elizabeth (Smith) Dixon, who came to Toronto from the State of New York in 1833. His father, who was a bricklayer by trade, was born in Lincolnshire, England; he was a Sergeant-Major during the Rebellion of 1837-8, and served in Toronto, Kingston, Malaga, Chippewa, and participated in the cutting loose of the Caroline. He died at the age of sixty-five years. Mr. Dixon’s mother is still living, at the advanced age of ninety-one years. Of the five children three sons are living, two daughters being dead. Mr. Dixon learned his trade in Toronto, and now gives employment to about forty-five men. In 1862 he married Ellen, eldest daughter of William Hampson, who came from England and settled in Toronto some years ago. He was a builder and built Upper Canada College. (vol. II, p. 40)

JAMES DOBSON, postmaster, Yorkville, is the eldest son of Matthew and Ann Park Dobson, his birthplace being Mohill, County of Leitrim, Ireland. He was born in 1810 and is now in his seventy-fifth year. His ancestry is traceable to the persecuted Huguenots who took refuge in England in the seventeenth century. His father served in the Leitrim Militia, and was Quartermaster-Sergeant for nearly twenty years, receiving his discharge and a pension at the close of the French war. He came to Canada, and died here in his eighty-eighth year. When seventeen years of age, the subject of this memoir was bound an apprentice to Francis Irwin, Esq., architect and builder, of Carrick-on-Shannon, for seven years, and on completing his term came to Canada. This was in 1834. He did not reach Toronto until some time in the following year, having spent the winter in the older Province. He worked with the late George H. White, of Yorkville, for a season, afterwards removing to New York, where he remained till within a short time previous to the Rebellion of 1837 breaking out. On his return he settled in Yorkville, purchasing a house and lot a little south of the site of the Town Hall, and worked there at his trade. The Rebellion having commenced, he took up arms and joined a company of volunteers, under the captaincy of Walter McKenzie, Esq., with John Hillyard Cameron, Esq., as Lieutenant. Mr. Dobson, like others of his countrymen, took up arms in defence of law and order, but when the affair was over and the passions and prejudices of the moment had subsided, he was compelled to admit in a great part, that something in the cause of the Rebels was not unmixed with justice. Our subject carried on the building trade until his marriage, in 1840, to Sarah Ann, daughter of the late Captain Moore, of the Township of York, a veteran of 1812, who fought under General Brock, and was wounded at the Battle of Queenston Heights. The issue of the marriage was a family of eight children, two of whom died at an early age; three sons and three daughters are yet living: William Egerton, James Haines and Charles Albert; Sarah, Anne Eliza and Edith. During the early portion of Mr. Dobson’s residence in Yorkville the population was small but steadily increasing, and several brick manufactories were accumulating in the neighbourhood. The moral and religious welfare of this rising community was, however, not all that could be desired, there being no schools and only a small frame church, build by the Primitive Methodists, but afterwards sold to the Wesleyan Methodists. Mr. Dobson gave up his house for religious service and Sabbath school while a church was being built, and also took a deep and active interest in getting a school and temperance hall established. We may add that the present school-house and grounds are not inferior to any in the Province. In the year 1852, when Yorkville became incorporated, Mr. Dobson was one of the chief instruments in bringing about this desirable accomplishment, going into the matter with an energy and interest that could not fail to secure its object. At the first election the chosen were John Sleigh, butcher; John Severn, brewer; James Wallis, blacksmith; Thomas Atkinson, brickmaker, and James Dobson, builder, the latter being chosen first reeve of the new municipality. He remained a member of the Council seven years, and filled the chair on two occasions. Mr. Dobson retired from the building business in 1851, having got together a considerable amount of landed property. He opened a general store and was at this time appointed postmaster of Yorkville. In the year 1863 he was made a J.P. for the County of York; in 1868, Commissioner of Affidavits in B.R.; in 1870 he was appointed agent for marriage licenses, all of which positions he a present holds. He is an office-bearer and trustee of the Bloor Street Methodist Church, Toronto. In concluding our necessarily condensed record of Mr. Dobson’s life and labours, we should say that both in public and private life he is recognized by all as a man of strict integrity and unblemished reputation. In connection with his public duties he is courteous, considerate, and obliging, while in private life his hand is ever ready to relieve the needy, or he will give wholesome advice to those in misfortune. In politics Mr. Dobson’s opinions are decidedly favourable to the Liberal cause, his ideas having undergone a complete change after the Rebellion of 1837. One other great motive in his life has been to promote the temperance cause, and it has ever been his consuming desire to see Prohibition the law throughout the land. (vol. II, p. 41)

JOHN WILLIAM DRUMMOND, deceased, was born in Little York, September 2nd, 1817. His parents were John and Mary (Lloyd) Drummond, who came to Canada from Chester, England, in 1811. His mother died when he was an infant. After the death of his wife, John Drummond placed his children in the care of friends and relatives, and embarked upon a whaling expedition, from which he never returned. John William Drummond, was apprenticed to Jacques & Hay, furniture manufacturers, and at the age of twenty-one went to New York, where he remained two years. In 1840 he returned to Toronto, and began the manufacture of furniture in partnership with his brother-in-law, John Haight, who was succeeded on his death, in 1848, by James Thompson; in 1850 Mr. Thompson returned to Montreal, and then business was discontinued. Mr Drummond then engaged in the lumbering business, Yonge Street, until July, 1868, when his stock being destroyed by fire, he decided to retire. On April 22nd, 1847, he married Hester Ann, second daughter of John Doel, by whom he had five daughters. Mr. Drummond was elected to represent St. James’ Ward in the City Council in 1865, but resigned the honour at the end of a few months on account of ill-health. In 1877 he was commissioned a Justice of the Peace. For many years he was one of the Board of Directors of the House of Industry. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Church up to his death, which occurred September 9th, 1881. (vol. II, p. 42)

JOSEPH DUGGAN is a native of this city, and a York Pioneer, having been born in 1832, and was a son of Thomas Duggan, a native of Ireland, who came to Canada in 1827, and died in Toronto in 1854. Mr. Joseph Duggan in 1851 commenced business at the corner of King and Princess Streets. In 1872 he bought a farm on Kingston Road, on which he erected an hotel. This he carried on for two years, afterwards renting it, and built the beautiful homestead where he now resides, known as Woodbine Park. He subsequently built the hotel on the race track, called the Woodbine Park Club-house, which he occupied for four years; he then retired to the homestead, which he has again rented, and is now living at 539 Church Street, Toronto. (vol. II, p. 43)

WILLIAM DUNCAN, deceased, was born in the County Donegal, Ireland, in 1780, and in 1825, came to Canada and located on lot 25, concession 3, East York, where he took up four hundred acres of uncleared land, half being in York, and half in Markham Townships. This he improved and cultivated and resided upon until his death, which occurred in 1865. He married Mary Fletcher, of Dublin, who died in 1813, leaving six children. He married again, Mrs. Lackie being his second wife, and by whom he had three children. The only living representative of the family by the first marriage is William Duncan, born in 1812. He lived upon the old homestead till 1867, when he retired from farming and removed to the city, where he still resides. He married in 1852, Margaret McGuire, of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, who died in 1858. (vol. II, p. 43)

JONATHAN DUNN, deceased, was born at Bridlington, Yorkshire, England, in 1798, being the youngest son in a family of five children; his parents died when he was quite young. At the age of twenty-five he, in company with his brother, arrived in York, and began business at St. Lawrence Market as a butcher. When St. Patrick’s Market was completed he removed to the latter place, where he continued the same business until a few years previous to his death, which occurred in 1864. During the Rebellion of 1837 he held a contract under the Government to furnish the supplies to the garrison. In 1843 he was elected to represent St. Patrick’s Ward in the City Council, which office he held until 1863, when he retired from the deliberations of the council board. When eighteen years of age, he was stricken with a severe illness caused by over exertion; he then embraced religion, and ever after maintained his Christian character. When the Queen Street Methodist Church was built, he was one of the board of trustees, and was a very active member until his death. As a member of the church he was ever true to her interests. A distinguishing feature of his life was his integrity in public or in private. As a man of business he fully maintained his character; his word was unquestioned; his honesty gained for him the esteem and respect of all, and at his death as an expression of sympathy and the respect in which he was held, many places of business in the city were closed. Mr. Dunn was twice married. His first wife was Anna Pickenny; she died soon after his arrival in New York, leaving three children, one son a two daughters; John Dunn, the eldest; Mrs. John Lee, Rochester, N.Y.; Mrs. James Wallis, dead. His second marriage was to Jane, eldest daughter of John Wallis, who formerly kept the old Red Lion Hotel on Colborne Street; by her he had five sons and four daughters, as follows: Mary Jane, wife of William Wharin, 47 King Street West; William, dead; James R., City Weigh-master; Mrs. W.L. Wilkinson; S.C. Dunn, farmer, in East York; Wallis, a farmer in Toronto Township; Johathan, living in Detroit; Rosa, wife of W.C. Stratton, Inland Revenue Department; Lillie M., wife of John Ritchie, 91 King Street West. James R. Dunn, third son of the above, was born in Toronto in 1839, at the old home on the Denison property, north side of Queen Street; received his early education in Toronto. He succeeded his father in business. In 1864 when Mr. Johathan Dunn, sen’r, retired from the Council, he was chosen Alderman to represent St. Patrick’s Ward, which office he held during 1864, 1865, and 1866. In 1874-’75 he represented St. Andrew’s Ward, at the expiration of which time he received the appointment of City Weigh-master, which office he now holds. He served as a volunteer in Colonel George T. Denison’s Cavalry for three years. On December 15th, 1860, he married Frances, youngest daughter of Adam Rolph, of London, England. Our subject has been a Freemason for many years, and was Worthy Master of Occident Lodge, 346, in 1883. He has been a member of the Odd-fellows for twenty years, and is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. (vol. II, p. 43)

CHARLES DURAND, barrister. His ancestors were originally of French extraction. In about 1690 the Durands were among the Huguenots who settled in England and were made citizens by patent in Queen Ann’s reign. His great-grandfather was Charles Durand; the name Charles having been in the family for generations. His grandfather, Charles Durand, was an officer in the British army, and was stationed on the Welsh border where his son, the late Captain James Durand, the father of our subject, was born in 1776. His father came to Canada about the year 1800, and commenced business as a merchant in Montreal, where he remained several years. He then opened a store, and bought a large farm at Long Point, near Simcoe, Norfolk. In 1805 he bought and removed to a two-hundred acre farm which he had purchased in the then Village, now City, of Hamilton. His first wife, and English lady, was killed in 1805, while descending the then dangerous mountain pass at Hamilton; by her he had four children, viz.: Maria, born 1798, and still living near Hamilton; James, Harriet and George, three of whom were born in England. In 1807 he married his second wife, a daughter of Hugh Morrison, a Revolutionary soldier, who fought under Washington, by whom he had five children, as follows: – Henry, born in 1808; Charles, born in 1811; Ferdinand, born in 1813; Alonzo, born in 1814; Ellen, born in 1816; all of whom are dead, excepting Charles. During the War of 1812-’14 his father commanded a very large flank company of militia, and took an active part in the Battle of Queenston Heights, where General Brock was killed. In 1815 he removed to a point on the Bay of Quinte, and two years later retuned to a farm near Hamilton. From 1814 to 1822, he was a member of the Upper Canada Legislature. In 1820 he bought a large farm, seven miles from Brantford, and remained there until near the time of his death in 1833. He was Registrar of the Counties of Halton and Wentworth for about twenty years. His second wife died in 1828. Charles Durand, the subject of this sketch, was born in 1811, in Hamilton, and received his early education at Hamilton and Dundas. In 1829 he was articled to the late Robert Berrie, a Scotch barrister, at Hamilton, and in February, 1835, was admitted to practise as an attorney, and in February, 1836, was admitted as a barrister. He practised his profession in Hamilton until the end of 1837. After the troubles of 1837, he went to Buffalo, and thence to Chicago, practising his profession in the latter city from 1839 until 1844, when he returned to Toronto, where he has ever since resided. In April, 1837, he married Sarah, a daughter of Lardner Bostwick, one of the pioneer settlers of Toronto, and one of its first aldermen. She at her death, in 1855, left six daughters, four of whom are married. In 1858 he married Mary Ann Bradshaw, a daughter of the late James Bradshaw, of Hamilton, belonging to a large and numerous family of U.E. Loyalists of the Niagara District, by whom he had six children, two sons and four daughters, four of whom are living; two daughters being dead. The subject of this sketch has been a practising lawyer for over fifty years, and is still engaged in the practice of the law at his advanced age. He has also been a contributor to the political and literary periodicals in Canada since the year 1832, and owned and edited a paper of his own from 1851 to 1854, extensively circulated and devoted to temperance principles, literature and general news. (vol. II, p. 44)

JOHN EAGLE, retired, was born in the suburbs of London, England, in 1820, and at the age of twenty-three came to Canada. He first settled in Brant County taking up 200 acres of land, on which he lived and laboured nine years. At the end of this period, it was taken from him by the Government, who desired it for the Indian Reserve, he receiving no compensation, after having devoted some of the best years of his life to its cultivation. In 1853 he came to Weston and rented a small hotel, where he did business for some years. He afterwards bought the place, and erected near the site his large and commodious hotel, called the Eagle House, where he lived until 1884, retiring then from business and removing to this city. During his stay in Brant County Mr. Eagle underwent all the hardships and dangers incident to pioneer life, being frequently a mark for the Indian bullets, the latter looking upon the settlers as interlopers. Mr. Eagle for several years did an extensive business in Weston as brickmaker, farmer and hotel proprietor, besides taking great interest in the construction of macadamized roads leading into the city. Mr. Eagle has been twice married. (vol. II, p. 46)

JAMES EDGAR, M.D., was born in Wentworth County in 1824; he entered the ministry of the late Primitive Methodist Church in 1846, and continued in service until 1880, when failing health compelled him to retire. He is now engaged in medical practice in this city. (vol. II, p. 46)

HUMPHREY ELLIOTT was born in the North of Ireland in 1831, where he remained until 1839, being the second son of Thomas Elliott, deceased, who first located at Ottawa on his arrival in Canada, where he stopped short time, coming to Kingston and Toronto in 1840. The subject of this sketch learned the moulder’s trade, which he worked at until 1855, when he engaged in boarding-house keeping. He located on the corner of Richmond and Victoria Streets, where he continued up to 1876. He afterwards retired and purchased some property on Wellesley Street, where he erected two brick houses. He now owns Nos. 88, 90 and 92. In 1854 he married Miss Mary McArthur. (vol. II, p. 46)

JOHN W. ELLIOTT is a lineal descendant of John Elliott, who composed one of that now historical body, the “Pilgrim Fathers”. He was born in Leicester, Mass., September 7th, 1822, and in early life learned the dentistry profession which he followed for many years in different cities before his arrival in Canada. He established himself in Toronto in 1858, where he has since remained, having gathered together a large practice. (vol. II, p. 46)

THOMAS WILLIAM ELLIOTT, coal, wood, flour and feed merchant, was born in the Township of York in 1840. His father was Edward Elliott, who came to Canada in 1834 from England, and took up land in the Township of York, where he died at the age of sixty-seven years. His mother, Susannah Smith, was a daughter of William Smith, who fought under General Brock, and was killed at the Battle of Queenston Heights. Thomas W. Elliott came to Toronto in 1867, and engaged in the coal, wood and feed business, to which he still adheres. In 1868 he was married to Ellen, fourth daughter of John Grey, a Scotchman, one of the oldest settlers in York County. In politics he is a Reformer; in religion belongs to the Methodist Church. Mr. Elliott is connected with the City Council; he was elected alderman for St. Matthew’s Ward last year, and re-elected in 1885. (vol. II, p. 47)

JOHN ELLIS, No. 1 Wood Lane, Yorkville, was born in Yorkshire, England, at a place called White Cross, on the 28th of March, 1810. Mr. Ellis was brought up on a farm. In 1831 he came to Canada with his wife, Rachael Johnson Ellis. When he first came to Toronto he went to work for the Hon Wm. Allen; afterwards rented a farm in York Township, where he was nine years engaged at farming, after which he returned to Yorkville, purchased property and built eight houses. In 1872 he retired. He is a Conservative and a member of the English Church. When he came to Yorkville the old Red Lion Hotel was the only building in the village. (vol. II, p. 47)

JOHN ELLIS, deceased, was born in Norwich, England, in 1795, and was an engraver by trade. In 1828 he married Rhoda, daughter of George Charles Bunting, by whom he had four children; two of them died in England. In 1836 he came to Canada, and, locating in Toronto, took up his residence on King Street, near Simcoe Street. He was engaged in business until 1868. In politics he was a Conservative, and in religion a member of the Church of England. He took a great interest in music, especially classical. At his death he left two children, a son and a daughter. (vol. II, p. 47)

REMELIUS ELMSLEY is of English extraction, his grandfather, John Elmsley, having emigrated from Yorkshire in the year 1795. He received his education in England, and was intended for the bar. His legal knowledge, combined with administrative talents of a high order, secured for him the position of Chief Justice of Upper Canada, which he filled for about five years. He was in the Upper House of the Legislature, and occupied the post of Speaker. He died in Montreal in 1805. He left a family of one son and two daughters. Our subject’s father was born in 1801, and at the age of seventeen joined the Royal Navy, in which he served for a number of years, retiring in 1827 on half pay. He took up his residence in Canada about this time, and after a useful life died in 1863. Mr. R. Elmsley is the youngest son of the family. (vol. II, p. 47)

H.A. ENGELHARDT, Superintendent Mount Pleasant Cemetery, was born in Milhauson, Prussia, in 1832. His father was Major Christopher Engelhardt; his mother’s name was Damme; he was the only son. He received his education in the University College, Berlin, where he studied those subjects which would fit him for his profession of a civil engineer. He completed his studies when nineteen years of age. According to custom he spent two years in the sharp-shooters’ guard, located in Berlin, and one year as volunteer; he served in Schleswig-Holstein. In 1851 he came to America and located at Baltimore, where he became a landscape gardener; he spent a year assisting in the laying out of Central Park, New York. He lived in North Carolina and Virginia until 1870, when he came to Canada, where he has since been engaged in laying out public grounds and cemeteries, including Government works; subsequently designing most of the recent cemeteries and public parks of Ontario. (vol. II, p. 48)