F and G surnamesCity of Toronto residents A History of Toronto and County of York

JOHN FARR, deceased, was born in Hertfordshire, England, 1782, and settled in York, U.C., about the year 1815. He was by occupation a brewer, and was the pioneer of that business in this city, which he carried on for a number of years. His career was marked by that success which never fails to attend perseverance, integrity and straightforwardness of purpose, and in all business affairs he was highly respected. His death occurred in 1874, in the ninety-second year of his age. He married, in 1821, Mary Bishop, a native of London, England, who died in 1882. (vol. II, p. 48)

JAMES FARRELL, retired, was born in the County of Derry in 1808. His parents were James and Margaret (Atkinson) Farrell; his mother died in Ireland. In 1831 he came to Canada, without a trade and without money; but nothing daunted he got a horse and cart and went as carter, which he continued for fifteen years. He afterwards set up a grocery store in Queen Street West. Then he kept the General Brock Hotel. About twenty-five years ago he retired from business. Mr. Farrell served for two years in the cavalry. For four years he represented St. John’s Ward in the City Council. He has two daughters, but no sons; one daughter is married to Charles Shields, of this city; and the other is married to Dr. Ross, of Thunder Bay. (vol. II, p. 48)

ARTHUR E. FISHER, music professor, was born in England in 1848, and came to Canada in 1879, locating first in Montreal, where he was engaged as organist of St. George’s Church nearly three years. He studied in Paris under the principal violinist of the Conservatoire of Music, and at Trinity College, London, under Henry Holmes. Mr. Fisher devotes himself chiefly to voice tuition and the theory of music (harmony and counterpoint), and has lately sent up a number of lady pupils to the examination at the University of Trinity College for the degree of music, the first instance of the kind in Canada. He is also the originator of the St. Cecilia Madrigal Society. (vol. II, p. 49)

EDWARD FISHER, organist and professor of music, 12 Wilton Crescent, was born in the United States and came to Canada in 1875. He first located in Ottawa, where he had charge of the musical department of the Ottawa Ladies’ College. He studied the organ under Eugene Thayer, composition with Julius Eichberg, and piano with J. B. Sharland. Mr Fisher resided in Burton during his studentship with these masters, holding during this period various important positions in that city as organist and pianist. He finished his education at Berlin, Prussia, under the organist, Haupt, and the pianist and composer, Loeschhorn. Leaving Ottawa in 1879, he removed to Toronto, having accepted the position as organist of St. Andrew’s Church, and a few months later formed the “St. Andrew’s Choral Society”, latterly known as the “Toronto Choral Society”, numbering now about three hundred active members and four hundred honorary members. Mr. Fisher is also musical director for the Ontario Ladies’ College at Whitby, and for the past year conductor of the “Guelph Choral Union”. (vol. II, p. 49)

ANDREW FLEMING was born in the County of Tyrone, Ireland, in 1819, and in 1825 came to Canada with his father, John Fleming, who remained in Quebec until 1830. He moved to Bytown (now Ottawa) afterwards. Andrew is the eldest of the family living. After leaving school he joined the volunteers during the Rebellion of 1837, and remained in the City Guards for seven months afterwards. He subsequently joined the first troop of incorporated dragoons, and remained with them until their disbandment. In 1848 he received the appointment of Usher to the High Court of Queen’s Bench, which position he still retains. He was tax collector for St. John’s Ward, twelve years. In 1841 he married Miss Mary Ann Boddy, daughter of Michael Boddy, by whom he had ten children, seven of whom are still living. He attends the English Church. (vol. II, p. 49)

JAMES FLEMING, seedsman and florist, Yonge Street, is a native of Aberdeen, Scotland, and came to Canada in 1834. He located in Montreal two years, and being a practical gardener and florist worked at his trade. In 1836 he came to Toronto and commenced market gardening on three acres of land west of Yonge and Elm Streets; his present place being part of the original lot. In 1837 he erected a seed store and greenhouses for the sale of plants and seeds which has proved very prosperous as a business venture. In 1864 Mr. Fleming was commissioned a Justice of the Peace for the City of Toronto, and in 1884 received the same honour in connection with the county. In 1877 he was elected alderman for St. John’s Ward, and has since been re-elected for three years. Mr. Fleming is a director of the Horticultural Society and the Industrial Association. In politics he is a Refomer, and in religion a Presbyterian. (vol. II, p. 50)

McGREGOR FLIGHT, engineer and architectural draughtsman, City Engineers’ Office, is a native of Kingston-on-Thames, England, eldest son of Thomas Flight, a retired captain of the Greensine Merchant Service. He came to Toronto in 1870. Mr. Flight was articled with Mr. T. Harrington, marine engineer and surveyor, London. (vol. II, p. 50)

J.C. FORBES is the son of the late Duncan Forbes, builder. Mr. Forbes is a portrait painter by profession, and commenced the practice of his art in Toronto in 1866. In 1876 he exhibited at Philadelphia paintings entitled, “The Wreck of the Hibernia”, and “Beware”. He has taken portraits of Lord Dufferin, Sir John A. Macdonald, and many other prominent politicians. His paintings of scenes in the Rocky Mountains and in the forest are unexceptionally good. “The Grand Canyon of the Arkansas”, “The Mount of the Holy Cross” and “Love Lilly” being especially admired. He received a medal for a portrait of his father at the International Exhibition, held in Buffalo, in 1871. He is a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts, also the Ontario Society of Artists. (vol. II, p. 50)

JAMES FOSTER, optician and electric instrument maker, 13 King Street West, is the only child of Henry and Mary (Andrews) Foster. Henry Foster was a bricklayer and stonemason by trade, and came to Canada from Drumaulk, County Monaghan, Ireland, in 1828; he located in Toronto where he acquired some property on Duchess Street. James Foster was born in Toronto in 1830, and was only eighteen months old when his father died at the age of thirty-six years; his mother died in 1877, aged eighty-seven years. He afterwards received a good education, and when sixteen years old commenced to learn the trade of mathematical instrument maker. In 1864 he began business for himself on Adelaide Street, where he also did considerable work for the Montreal Telegraph Company, and for twenty years made all the instruments used by that company west of Kingston, employing a considerable staff of workmen. In 1873, finding his former stand too small for his business, he leased the building, No. 40 Colborne Street, and fitted it up to suit his business and having then sufficient room he began to manufacture surveying and engineering instruments. He remained there until the fall of 1883, when he removed to his present commodious stand, 13 King Street West, where he now carries on the most extensive business in the optical and surveying instrument line in the city, and manufactures most of the meteorological and other instruments of precision, used in the Dominion, and is kept actively employed by an ever growing demand for his skill and instruments. Mr. Foster married Mary E. Jobbet, whose grandfather was paymaster in the famous Queen’s Rangers. (vol. II, p. 50)

THOMAS FOX was born in the City of London, England, in 1812, and at the age of twenty he emigrated to Canada, and settled in York. He was for some time engaged in the manufacture of brick, subsequently erecting property on Curzon and Leslie Streets, and is now living retired. In 1834 he married Miss Mary Rose, of Devonshire, England, who died in 1854. He married a second time, Mary Rooney. By his former wife he had nine children, and by his present wife two children. (vol. II, p. 51)

GARRETT F. FRANKLAND, a representative of a Saxon house, and one of the leading citizens of Toronto, was born in the Village of Barrowford, Lancashire, England, in 1834, and settled in Toronto in 1854. In early life he learned the trade of a butcher and grocer, in connection with farming. On his arrival in Toronto, he started as a butcher for the St. Lawrence Market. By energy and perseverance he gradually increased his business, and in 1860 he began to export meat to the United States and Great Britain. This business, which has now assumed such gigantic proportions, Mr. Frankland was mainly instrumental in originating; the particulars connected with its rise and progress, together with statistical matter, will be found elsewhere in this volume and, therefore, needs no repetition. We may also add that Mr. Frankland has done this country the signal service of raising the price of cattle from $25 to $30 a head. He was also the means of causing the Corporation of Liverpool to expend over $200,000 for the accommodation of live stock upon its arrival, thus relieving the suffering endured by the exposure to the twelve hours’ quarantine imposed by the Imperial Government. As a recognition of his valuable services, Mr. Frankland was the recipient, in 1876, of a banquet and an illuminated address, presented at the Walker House, here; also a clock, at the City Arms, and in 1879 of a service of silver plate, at Liverpool. Mr. Frankland was married, July 8th, 1857, to Jane Nelson, of Antrim County, Ireland, by whom he had a family of six children. (vol. II, p. 51)

EDWARD GALLEY, 303 Parliament Street, is a native of the Isle of Wight, and came to Toronto in 1852. In 1856 he married Mary Jane, daughter of the late Richard Jewell, of Toronto. He was for twenty-four years engaged in the contracting and building business, from which he retired in 1879. During his business career he erected many of the wholesale stores and buildings on Front, Wellington, Yonge and Bay Streets; also the Grand Opera House, and five churches, including the Sherbourne and Parliament Street Methodist Churches. In addition to public buildings, he has erected upwards of fifty private residences; altogether he has erected nearly one thousand buildings, upwards of forty of which he owns. He employed at one time about five hundred hands. Mr. Galley has been a member of the Public School Board since 1873, and was two years chairman of that body. In 1878 he contested East Toronto for the Dominion House of Commons. He was elected member of the Toronto City Council for the Ward of St. Thomas in 1885. Amongst other offices held by him may be mentioned a directorship in the Land Security Company, the North American Life Assurance Company and others. In religion he is a member of the Methodist Church. (vol. II, p. 52)

THE GAMBLE FAMILY. Nathaniel Allan Gamble, retired, 554 Church Street, Toronto, is of Scotch extraction, and was born on lot 90, Yonge Street, and is a grandson of Nathaniel Gamble, sen’r, who came from near the Town of Bowmore, in the Island of Isla, Argyleshire, Scotland. He settled in Canada in 1798, on lot 89, on the east side of Yonge Street; he was married to a daughter of Samuel Chambers, by whom he had three sons and two daughters, all of whom came with him. He was a Presbyterian, and for a long time was trustee of glebe land belonging to that Church, near Markham. He died in 1833, leaving a large quantity of land in the Counties of York and Simcoe. Nathaniel Gamble, jun’r, youngest son of the above, was born in 1764. Settled on lot 90, on Yonge Street which he cleared and farmed until his death in 1836. Like his father, he was an extensive landowner. He was identified with the municipality in which he lived, and belonged to the Militia, in which he held the rank of Captain. In 1803 he married Susannah, daughter of Thomas Mercer, of York Mills. He belonged to the Church of England, and was a Conservative in politics. He left the following children: Anne, James, Susannah, Mary, Thomas, Nathaniel Allan, George and Sarah, all of whom married and settled in the County of York, except Thomas. The eldest son, James Gamble, inherited his grandfather’s farm, lot 89, and lived on it until his death in 1854. He was a commissioner in the Court of Request, before Division Courts were established; a magistrate, and also held a commission in the Militia. Thomas Gamble, the second son of Nathaniel Gamble, jun’r, settled in the Township of Tecumseth, County of Simcoe, in 1838, where he cleared a large farm. He was a magistrate and held a commission in the Militia as Captain. Nathaniel Allan Gamble, the third son of Nathaniel Gamble, jun’r, was born in 1817. He inherited his father’s farm, lot 90, on Yonge Street, where he lived until 1859. In 1856 he was commissioned a Justice of the Peace; he also served as quartermaster in the 12th Battalion of Volunteers. When he left his farm, he lived in Newmarket for some years, where he owned and managed a brewery. In 1872 he moved to Toronto, and married a daughter of John Sproule (who kept a store, near the market, on King Street, Toronto, for many years before his death in 1849.) George Gamble, the youngest son of Nathaniel Gamble, jun’r, was also an extensive farmer for many years in the Township of King, near Lloydtown. He also married a daughter of John Sproule, of Toronto. He is now retired and living in Toronto. (vol. II, p. 52)

JOSEPH GIBSON, ornamental plasterer, was born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1823, being the only son of Joseph Gibson, shoemaker, and Martha Clue, daughter of Thomas Clue. His mother died in 1831, and in 1833 he came to Canada with his father who took up a farm in East Gwillimbury, and having cleared it, lived there until his death in 1864, aged sixty-four years. After coming to Canada he was married to Mrs. Hannah Philips, by whom he had a son and a daughter. When eleven years of age, Joseph Gibson commenced to learn the plastering trade with his uncle, John Gibson, who had come out in 1830. He remained with him until he was twenty-three, when he married Anne, the eldest daughter of William Smith, by whom he had three sons and one daughter. In 1850 Mr. Gibson started business for himself. He is a Reformer, and a member of the English Church. (vol. II, p. 53)

COLONEL GIVINS, deceased, was born in the North of Ireland, about the year 1784. He was a relative of the Duke of Abercorn, and came out to Canada with Governor Hamilton, and afterwards joined Governor Simcoe at Bermuda, to whom he was Aide-de-Camp. He returned again to England and exchanged into the 5th Regiment, and again came out to Canada. He married, soon after, a daughter of Commodore Andrews, who was lost on the war-ship Ontario, which was lost on the lake, off Niagara, with all on board. Colonel Givins received the appointment of Agent for the Indian Department, which office he held until his death. He left a family, as follows: Henry Hamilton; Caroline H., who married Colonel Hillier, Aide-de-Camp to Sir P. Maitland; James (Judge Givins of London, Ont.); Cecil; Saltern (Canon Givins); Elizabeth; and George, for twenty years Surgeon-Major on Her Majesty’s Medical Staff in India. (vol. II, p. 54)

ARTHUR W. GODSON, contractor, was born in Warwickshire, England, in 1845, being the youngest son in a family of seven children. His father, George Godson, came to Canada with his family in 1849 and died in 1866. Arthur Godson was married in 1871. He has been employed upon the public works of Toronto for the past fifteen years, having laid at least two-thirds of the block paving in this city. In 1881 he completed the contract for paving Yonge Street, and subsequently completed Beverley Street, a portion of King Street, and others. He also constructed and completed the Sub-way between Parkdale and the city. (vol. II, p. 54)

JAMES GOODERHAM. The subject of this sketch, was the second son of the late Wm. Gooderham, Esq., and was born in Norfolk, England, December 29th, 1825. At the age of seven years he accompanied the other members of the family to Canada and settled in York, where he was educated. He was always an earnest, thoughtful and conscientious youth, and his mind was early imbued with serious thoughts of religion. It was when about sixteen years old and during a short residence at the Village of Thornhill, that he became converted, and the event left its impress upon his character through all the subsequent years of his life. Sometime afterward his leanings towards the ministry induced him to enter Victoria College, with a view to prepare himself for the sacred calling of a Methodist minister. In 1848 he was appointed junior preacher on the Whitby circuit, and so earnest was he and diligent in the discharge of his pastoral duties, so devoted in his self-sacrificing zeal, that during that year between two and three hundred were added to the membership of the church on his circuit by conversion. The following year he was appointed to the Markham circuit, but the wasting labours of his previous charge had so exhausted his physical powers that it soon became evident it would be impossible for him to continue in the regular work of the ministry. But though forced, by circumstances beyond his control, to abandon his cherished calling, he never lost the spirit of a minister of Christ. He loved to preach the Gospel, and amid the cares and activities of secular life, found frequent opportunity to labour in various ways for the salvation of sinners, and took a deep interest in missionary work. He was often associated with leading ministers of his Church at dedicatory services in various parts of the country, and it was not an uncommon thing to see the announcement of Dr. Ryerson, or Dr. Wood, or Dr. Rose, or some other distinguished divine to preach in the morning, and James Gooderham, Esq., in the afternoon. On July 23, 1850, Mr. Gooderham was married at Oshawa to Miss Gibbs, daughter of the late Thomas Gibbs, Esq., and sister of the late Hon. T.N. Gibbs, of that place; he afterwards engaged in business in Norval, with one of his brothers; in 1859 removing to Meadowvale, and in 1863 to Streetsville, where he engaged in merchandise and milling. At the latter place he also managed the linen mills of Messrs. Gooderham & Worts, until they were burned down. During his residence in Streetsville, which continued until 1877, he was a prominent and useful citizen, taking a deep interest in the prosperity of the town and holding the office of Reeve for eight years. In the last named year Mr. Gooderham removed to Toronto, where his home henceforth remained, though he still retained his large property and business interests at Streetsville. He was a Director of the London and Ontario Loan Society from its inception, and Vice-President of the Dominion Telegraph Company, both of which corporations at his death presented to Mrs. Gooderham, handsomely engrossed resolutions testifying to the respect in which he was held, and lamenting his sudden loss. Mr. Gooderham was one of the first to advocate the project of the Credit Valley Railway, and actively supported the enterprise until its success was assured. He was a man of remarkable business talents, pushing and energetic, but withal, quiet and unassuming. He induced the residents of Streetsville and other municipalities to grant large bonuses to the road. On May 10th, 1879, he accompanied a party of prominent citizens from Toronto, to inspect the road as far as completed. At Streetsville he made a short address, justifying himself in the course he had pursued in connecteion with the road, and pointing with pride and pleasure to the rapid completion, not only of that branch, but of the whole line, and, as might have been expected, was warmly congratulated on the result of his labours, even by those who had strongly opposed him at the outset. A few hours after this address of congratulation a collision occurred on the road which resulted in Mr. Gooderham receiving fatal injuries. He survived long enough to be brought home, retaining consciousness to the last; he died the death of a sincere and exemplary Christian. He was buried in the family vault in St. James’ Cemetery, his funeral being from the Metropolitan Church, and one of the largest ever seen in the city. There is no fitter eulogy on the life of any man than is expressed in the words of Rev. Dr. Potts on this occasion: “Wise in counsel, prudent in action, intuitively discerning and unflinching in performing the right, there was in his character the true ideal of a man and a Christian.” (vol. II, p. 54)

PATRICK GRAHAM, retired, was born in the County Tipperary, Ireland, in 1802, being the eldest in a family of four sons and four daughters, born to John and Mary (Power) Graham. In 1832 he came to Canada and worked on the Purdue farm, near Toronto, and for two years on the farm owned by Captain W. Baldwin. He then bought two hundred acres of land in the Township of Asphodel, County of Peterborough; but after clearing ten acres and losing his first crop he became discouraged and sold the land. Then he came to Toronto and became a clerk in the store of George Cheeney, dry-goods merchant. At the end of two years he married Bridget Madigan, and bought the property on the south-west corner of Wellington and Scott Streets, the present site of the Great North-Western Telegraph Company’s office paying three hundred pounds for it, and a one and a-half storey house which stood on it. There he and his wife kept a private boarding-house until 1871, when the Montreal Telegraph Company paid him $10,000 for the lot. Mr. Graham is a conservative in politics. By his marriage with Miss Madigan he has one son and two daughters living. (vol. II, p. 56)

CHRISTOPHER GRAY, Superintendent of the St. James’ Cemetery, was born at Ross Head, Ireland, in 1826, and came to Canada in 1842. He was a nurseryman and gardener in the Old Country, and his lifework has been devoted to the care and culture of plants, shrubs and trees. He has been connected with the cemetery sixteen years, and in charge of the same thirteen years. Mr. Gray married, in 1857, Ellen Gamble, a native of Ireland, who came to Canada same year as himself. They have four children, three daughters and one son. (vol. II, p. 56)

MAJOR JOHN GRAY, M.P.P., Parkdale, was born in Yorkville, 5th January, 1837, being the only surviving child of John and Jane Gray, who were both born in the County of Meath, Ireland. His father was a nurseryman and was killed at a railway crossing, January 13th, 1878. The subject of this sketch was educated at home and at G.F. Needham’s Academy, Rochester, New York. On his father’s death he succeeded him in business, which he still carries on. In 1861 he was married to Catharine Angeline, daughter of Joseph Calverley, of Orillia. Mr. Calverley was born in Hull, England, and married Mary A. Stewart, of London, England. By his marriage Major Gray has six children, viz.: William Thomas, John Calverley, Frank Albert, Emma Louisa, Ida Marion and Caroline. In religion he is a member of the Church of England. Major Gray is a Liberal-Conservative and in the elections of February, 1883, for the Ontario Legislature, was returned for West York, redeeming a constituency which for twelve years had been Reform. He is a member of the A.F. and A.M., C.O.O.F., also President of the Toronto Electoral Division, and second Vice-president of the Toronto Horticultural Society. Major Gray was enrolled in the Toronto Field Battery in 1856, and in 1860 was appointed Drill Instructor. On March 8th, 1866, he was commissioned First Lieutenant, and in October, 1869, was with a division of the battery on board the gunboat Prince Alfred, which was cruising from Sarnia to Amherstburg. In 1870 he was commissioned Captain; in 1875 Brevet Major, and in 1883 Major commanding the Toronto Field Battery. He commanded the brigade of artillery in camp in 1882, 1883 and 1884. On May 8th, 1877, he received a letter of thanks from the Major-General commanding the Militia, for his offer to raise a battery for active service in the East. On the incorporation of Parkdale in 1879, he was elected reeve, and occupied that position for three years. (vol. II, p. 56)

JOSEPH GRAY, 194 Beverley Street, was born in London in 1816, and came to Canada in 1834. On his arrival in Toronto he entered the service of J.D. & G. Ridout, as an assistant, and remained about six months, removing afterwards to what is now known as Willow Dale, where he taught school for ten years. He had received a good education at Madras House, Hackney, London, which fitted him for almost any position; on giving up teaching he returned to the city and was engaged as book-keeper and clerk in the wholesale store of B. Thorne & Co. After some time spent in this occupation, he entered the service of the Port Hope and Lindsay Railroad, since called the Midland Railway, subsequently appointed as Receiver by the Bank of Upper Canada. He engaged with the Nipissing Railroad Company, as accountant, in Novermber, 1873, and continued to act in that capacity until the railway was sold in 1881. Mr. Gray is a member of the St. George’s Society, and a follower of the Methodist Church. He married in 1839, Rachael, daughter of Isaac Lamoreaux, who was one of the early settlers in Scarboro’ Township. Mr. Lamoreaux was ninety-nine years and ten months old when he died. Mr. Gray married again, his second wife being Elizabeth, daughter of Adam Break, of Markham. Mr. Gray received by presentation a handsome watch from Mr. Gooderham, on the occasion of his retirement from the services of the Toronto and Nipissing Railroad Company. (vol. II, p. 57)