‘H’ surnamesCity of Toronto residents A History of Toronto and County of York

SAMUEL DAVID HAGEL, M.D., was born at Hagel’s Corners, in the County of Oxford, Ontario, in 1842, on the farm owned and reclaimed from the forest by his father, Samuel Hagel, who was also a born resident of that district. The parents on both sides were of U.E. Loyalist descent. His early education was received at the Common and Grammar schools of his native county. He also taught school for nearly eight years in the same county. In 1867 he matriculated in medicine at the University of Toronto, graduating in 1873, receiving the University and State medals for that year, and the scholarship for the previous year. On graduating he immediately began practice in this city, where he has built up a large and lucrative practice. Dr. Hagel organized and commanded a company of volunteers in the 22nd Oxford Rifles, during the Fenian troubles of 1866. He married in 1864, Miss Mary Ann Moyer, of Oxford County, by whom he has three daughters, all living. (Vol. II, p. 58)

J.B.HALL, M.D., M.C.P.S., of Hahnemann Villa, 326 and 328 Jarvis Street, is a native of Lincoln, England. He received his education at the University of Oberlin, O.; Homeopathic Hospital College of Cleveland, and the Missouri Homeopathic College of St. Louis, Mo. In 1862 he established practice in Cleveland, afterwards St. Paul, Minn., where he remained several years, and commenced practice in Toronto in 1880. Dr. Hall is an out-and-out exponent of the principles of homeopathy. (Vol. II, p. 58)

WILLIAM HALL was born in County Fermanagh, Ireland, 1800. His parents were Charles and Mary (Carruthers) Hall. He crossed the Atlantic in 1824 and settled in the City of Boston, where he resided about seven years, learning while there the trade of carpenter. He returned to Ireland in 1831, and after a stay of two years came back to Boston. In 1834 he married Margaret, eldest daughter of Mitchell and Isabella (Armstrong) Swords, and two months after this event he removed to Little York, where he purchased a lot and built a home. He worked for the late Richard Woodsworth for ten years; the latter had the order to build the scaffold on which Lount and Matthews were to be hung, but Mr. Hall refused decidedly to work at it. Mr. Hall is and always has been a staunch reformer in politics, and a Methodist in religion. He occupied a seat in the Council as representative of St. John’s Ward in 1853, and was also School Trustee for St. Patrick’s Ward. Mr. Hall is still living at his home on Seaton Street, and has arrived at the good old age of eighty-five years; he has one daughter and two sons; the former is a widow and resides with him. Mark Hall, the eldest son, was born in 1837, and is an architect by profession. He early learned the building business with his father, who carried on that business for many years, retiring in 1870. (Vol. II, p. 58)

SIDNEY HAMILTON is descended from a family of U.E. Loyalists. His grandfather, Thomas Hamilton, after serving through the Revolutionary War, settled in Nova Scotia with his family. The parents of our subject, Thomas and Ann Hamilton, left Nova Scotia and settled at Port Dover, Upper Canada, upon wild land, which they cleared and resided upon several years; Thomas, a brother of our subject, being the first white child born in that neighbourhood. While living at Port Dover a journey of fifteen miles had frequently to be made to grind a grist of corn, while flour was procured from Chippewa. In 1795 Mr. Hamilton removed to York, and purchased two acres of land on the north-east corner of King and George Streets, where he built a house, which became the family residence for a number of years. During the War of 1812 he opened a general store in the same house, and shortly afterwards built the Hamilton Hotel and Ship Hotel on Market Street. During the early days of senior Mr. Hamilton’s residence in York he purchased a small schooner, and was engaged in carrying passengers to and from Niagara. He belonged to the York volunteers, and participated in the defence of York. After its capitulation the American soldiers discovered his red coat hanging in his house, and were about to take him prisoner, when, through the intercession of some of the American officers, he was liberated. He afterwards became Coroner of the United Counties, and also served a number of years as Deputy-Sheriff. He died at the age of sixty-five. Sidney was the youngest of a family of ten children, born in York, February 2nd, 1811. He attended the early schools of the place; after the death of his father he began sailing on the lakes. The first vessel he commanded was the schooner Wood Duck, after which he owned in succession the Commerce, the William Gamble, the Rose, the Isabella and the Alliance. With the latter he was engaged in transporting merchandise between Halifax and Chicago. In 1864, in connection with his son Robert, he established another dock in Toronto known as Hamilton’s Wharf, and is now engaged in the same business at the George Street Elevator. During the Rebellion of 1837 he belonged to the old fire brigade, and was on duty at the Don Bridge. In politics he has always been a pronounced Reformer, and in religion a member of the Zion Congregational Church. In 1837 he married Ann Coulthard, by whom he had eleven children (eight sons and three daughters), of whom four are now living. Margaret married William Evans, of St. Catharines; Robert is in business with his father; Elizabeth married John Adams, Assistant Inspector for the Bank of Toronto; Henry, a barrister, is now practising law at Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. (Vol. II, p. 59)

JOHN HARPER, retired builder and architect, is the son of Richard Harper, and Englishman, who left Belfast, Ireland, in 1810, and crossing the ocean settled in New York, where for seven years he manufactured looms. Richard Harper’s wife was Jane, eldest daughter of James Dalrymple, a Scotchman, by whom he had one son, John, and two daughters, Elizabeth, the widow of William Somerset; and Catharine who is dead. In 1817 the family left New York, and crossing Lake Ontario in the schooner Mayflower (Captain Paterson), located at Little York, where Richard Harper commenced his business, that of a builder. He died in 1834; his wife died in 1836. John Harper was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1806, and came to America with his parents. He learned the building trade with his father, and continued at it from 1829 until 1856. He built the stone barracks for the New Fort, St. Michael’s Cathedral, Trinity Church (Trinity Square), the General Hospital, and the first Observatory in Toronto, besides numerous private residences; he also laid the foundation for the Lunatic Asylum. In 1856 Mr. Harper became an architect, and superintended the erection of the Post Office, and the Court Street Fire Hall and Police Station. In 1834 he built what is now the Newsboys’ Home, but which was then intended for the Canada Company’s Offices; he also built the first depot and machine shop for the Northern Railway. Mr. Harper sat in the City Council during the first three years of its incorporation, 1834-5-6; he was assessor for St. James’ Ward for a number of years. He was offered the appointment of Justice of the Peace, but considering that it would interfere with his business he declined the honour. In politics he is a Reformer, and in religion, a Methodist. Mr. Harper married the youngest daughter of Wm. Miles, of Ireland, by whom he has now living three sons, William, John and George; and one daughter married to J.P. Edwards. George R. Harper, architect, is the youngest in a family of ten children, and was born in Toronto in 1843. He commenced the study of architecture in 1861, in the office of the late Wm. Irving, with whom he remained for three years; then he went to New York, and at the end of five years returned to Toronto, where he has been ever since. He made the designs for the Police Court building, and built Gurney’s foundry, besides other large buildings. He has been a member of the City Council. (Vol. II, p. 60)

REVEREND ELMORE HARRIS, B.A., Pastor of Bloor Street Baptist Church, is the second son of Alanson Harris, Esq., of English descent, of the firm of A. Harris, Son & Co., manufacturers of mowers and reapers, Brantford, Ontario, and a prominent citizen of that city. Mr. Harris, sen’r, was born in Oxford County, Ontario, about 1820, and married in 1840, Miss Mary Morgan, of Beamsville, and formerly of Glamorganshire, Wales. The Rev. Elmore Harris was born near Brantford. He received his early education at the High School, Beamsville, and subsequently at St. Catharines Collegiate Institute. In 1872 he entered on his University course at Toronto, and graduated in 1877. In 1876 he took charge of the Centre Street Baptist Church, in St. Thomas, Ontario, where he remained until 1882. About this time he received a call from the congregation of the Yorkville Baptist Church, and took charge of the same; but the locality proving most inconvenient it was determined to erect a new church, which was carried out at a cost of nearly $40,000. The new church was built on Bloor Street West, corner of North. The average attendance in 1882 was about one hundred, and it has since increased to five hundred. In 1877 the subject of this sketch married Miss Ruth Shenston, youngest daughter of T.S. Shenston, Esq., Registrar of Brant County, Ontario. They have two children, Burton and Helen Mary. The new church referred to is fully described on page 316, Vol. I. (Vol. II, p. 61)

SAMUEL RETALLACK HARRIS, a York Pioneer, and a well-known and highly-respected citizen of Toronto, was born at Roseneaque, the parish of St. Keverne, near Helston, Cornwall, England, in 1818. He was the youngest son in a family of seven children, two boys and five girls, born to John and Mary (Retallack) Harris. His father was a farmer, who lived on his farm for about seventy-five years, and died in 1873, in the ninety-fifth year of his age. There is now only one sister living at St. Keverne. Mr. Harris left home when thirteen years of age to learn a trade, and remained away about three years – until his mother’s death, which took place in 1834 – and the same year he took passage on a sailing vessel bound for the New World. The time occupied in the voyage was five weeks and three days, from the point of departure to the arrival in Quebec, and the journey from that point to Toronto was accomplished in two weeks. The mode of locomotion was in Durham boats, drawn by oxen, and the route lay through the Rideau Canal. From Kingston they took the steamer William IV, by which means they journey was completed. The description given by Mr. Harris of the appearance of Toronto at that time (1834) is worth recording. He says: “Well do I remember going from the market up King Street to Yonge, jumping from one stone to another, there being no sidewalks. From King up to Yonge Street was a better sidewalk on the west side, laid down by our old and esteemed friend, Jesse Ketchum, with tan bark. There were no brick buildings as now. There was an old fence covered with hides drying for the tannery. In this same year”, continues Mr. Harris, “William Lyon Mackenzie was elected Mayor of Toronto, not by the people but by the Council”. Mr. Harris did not remain long in Toronto on his first visit but returned to Kingston and entered the employ of John Collar, a boot and shoe merchant, with whom he stayed four years, and it was during this period that the Rebellion broke out. Mr. Harris became a volunteer in Captain James Jackson’s Company and was under arms six months, but never saw much active service; he was a Sergeant in his corps. In 1838 he once more found his way to Toronto, and although work was plentiful there was hardly any money in circulation, wages being chiefly paid in store goods. In 1838 T.D. Harris first issued his twenty-five and fifty-cent “shin-plasters”, which currency passed as good as gold in those days. Mr. Harris also records the fact that not many improvements were made in the city until 1840. “When you see the large brick buildings fast taking the place of the old shanties on King Street; who would have thought”, he exclaims, “that the Toronto of 1834 would be the Toronto of to-day?” Mr. Harris was married in the year 1850, his wife being Ann, daughter of Richard Hocken, of Montreal. The family were of English extraction, and came to Canada in 1818. By his marriage he has four sons living, and one daughter, Mrs. J.H.A. Taylor, living in Toronto. His youngest son resides in the city, and is book-keeper to Messrs. Mason & Risch; the other three sons are in the United States. Mr. Harris has taken an active part in the affairs of mutual benefit societies and brotherhoods, and was initiated in the City of Toronto Lodge of Oddfellows in 1844, and is now the oldest initiated Oddfellow of good standing in the city. He was elected Grand Master of the Order in 1870, and retired the following year. Mr. Harris was presented with a gold watch and chain, and his wife with a silver tea service by the brethren of Toronto. He is now a member of the Ontario; the Dominion; the Alma and the Purple Encampment (Hamilton Orders). On March 18th, 1862, he joined the Wilson Lodge (No. 86) of Freemasons, and is still a member of good standing. He was elected and held the office of Treasurer of that Lodge for ten years, and at the end of five years’ service in that capacity he was presented with a Mason’s gold ring, and on his retirement from the same, received a testimonial taking the form of a gold-headed cane. Mr. Harris filled the position of postmaster at Yorkville for one year in 1862; which position he resigned. In religion he belongs to the Church of England. (Vol. II, p. 61)

GEORGE HASKIN was born in Devonshire, England, in 1844, and in 1870 came to Canada, locating in Toronto. He was traveller for O’Keefe, the brewer, for seven years, and shortly after engaged in the hotel business, at the corner of King and Princess Streets, known as the Red Rose Hotel. This he continued till 1883, since which time he has been engaged in erecting houses. In 1865 he married Miss Annie Palfree, a native of Devonshire, also, by whom he has two sons. (Vol. II, p. 63)

G.M. HAWKE was born in bath, Ontario, August 12th, 1826, being the third son in a family of seven children. His father, Anthony Baudon Hawke, came to Canada from Cornwall, England, at the close of the War of 1812, and settled in Prince Edward County. He was afterwards appointed Chief Emigration Agent of Upper Canada, and came to live in Toronto; he died in Whitby, October, 1865. At his death he left a family of two sons and three daughters, viz.: Edward Henry, living in New York; George M.; Louisa, married Judge Dartnell; Harriet, married Lyman English, of Oshawa; Eliza, married Mr. Hawkins, of Colchester. (Vol. II, p. 63)

CHARLES HEATH was born in India, and was the only son in a family of three children. His father was Brigadier-General Heath, who was born in Lexington, Essex, England. He entered the British army when quite young, and was killed in action at Madras, India. Mr. Heath came to Canada in 1836, and was followed by his mother shortly afterwards. He purchased Deer Park. After he came here he was for some years in the Dragoons, and was a volunteer during the Mackenzie Rebellion; he rose from the rank of First Cornet to that of Major. In 1847 he was admitted to the bar. (Vol. II, p. 63)

ALEXANDER HENDERSON, J.P., is a native of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, and was born in the year 1824. He came to Canada in 1834, locating in Little York, being at that time about ten years of age. He entered the general business house of William Mathers, Queen Street West, then known as Lot Street. In 1842 he commenced business for himself with such success that he was enabled in 1857 to retire, and has since lived as a private gentleman. Among the positions of public trust held by Mr. Henderson, it may be mentioned that he was for ten years an Alderman, and filled for five years the Chairmanship of Finance, and the Boards of Works and Health. He was a Director of the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway, and also occupied a similar position in connection with the Union Building Society for upwards of twenty years. He was a Director of the House of Industry, and has been a member of St. Andrew’s Society since 1836. Mr. Henderson can remember many of the striking incidents that occurred during the Rebellion, and was an eye-witness of the execution of Lount and Matthews. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace for the City of Toronto and County of York some years ago, which position he fills with considerable ability. His residence is 50 Gerrard Street East. (Vol. II, p. 63)

ANDREW HERON, at the present time the oldest native resident of the City of Toronto, the third son of Samuel and Sarah (Ashbridge) Heron, was born on November 30th, 1800, in a small log house erected by his father on the north side of Duke Street, near the present residence of the Hon. M.C. Cameron. His father was the youngest of a family of three sons, born at Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 1770. He emigrated to New York City, where he remained a short time, and then made his way to Niagara. In the spring of 1792 he left Niagara, with an ox team and cart laden with provisions and tools necessary in a new settlement, and journeyed around the lake by way of Hamilton. On arriving at the Don River, he crossed over in a rough scow, and proceeded to what is now known as Ashbridge’s Bay, and took up two hundred acres of land, where he found Mrs. Ashbridge and her sons, who had settled there a few months previous. December 14th, 1794, he married Sarah Ashbridge, whose people were English Quakers from Philadelphia. Being U.E. Loyalists, the mother and sons drew land from the Crown. In 1796 Mr. Heron concluded to try his fortune in mercantile life, and accordingly erected the log house on Duke Street and a log store on King Street. His first stock of goods was procured from Montreal. He continued in business for a few years, and subsequently settled on a Government tract of land of two hundred acres, on Yonge Street, about seven miles from the bay. It was located near what was called Heron’s Hill, afterwards Hogg’s Hollow. The steady and rapid influx of a thrifty class of emigrants and the clearing of their lands, offered inducements for other enterprises. He erected a saw and grist-mill, ashery and distillery, and opened a market for ashes which he converted into potash. His business increased rapidly, and was in a thriving condition when in 1817 he died. Andrew Heron, the subject of this sketch, resided with his father until 1811, when he was sent to Niagara to live with his uncle Andrew, his father’s brother, who was a merchant at the latter place. After attending school for a short period he entered his uncle’s store as a clerk. In 1812, at the breaking out of the war between the United States and Great Britain, he was attending school at Niagara, in close proximity to Fort George. The same spirit that provoked the two nations to draw the sword was shared by the youth of that day, and many were the battles fought between juvenile rebels and loyalists, who used stones to good advantage, the former being often compelled to take refuge within the fort. When York was attacked, in April, 1813, by the American fleet under Commodore Chauncey and General Dearborn, Mr. Heron was upon Niagara Commons. He heard the roar of cannon and the explosion of the powder magazine, and naturally felt very anxious about the fate of his father and brother, who belonged to the York Militia, which participated in the engagement. His brother John fought at the battle of Lundy’s Lane, where he was shot. While he lay in a ploughed field, the enemy passed over him, thinking him dead. He afterwards rejoined the British forces, and, having served during the war, received a pension until his death. Andrew was also at the Battle of Queenston Heights. He saw the American prisoners as they were escorted through Niagara on their way down the lake, and was present at the funeral of General Brock, who had fallen at Queenston Heights, while cheering on his men to the attack. He was at Niagara when the Americans burned and sacked the town, and witnessed his uncle’s house and store devoured by the flames. After the close of the was Mr. Heron was summoned by the Government to Ancaster to give evidence against some American sympathizers, who were tried and convicted before Chief Justice Robinson. In 1819 Mr. Heron left Niagara and came to York, working upon his uncle Ashbridge’s farm until 1822, when he returned to Niagara, where he rented from his uncle Andrew a small row boat, which he began plying between Niagara and the Youngstown ferry. “Sevenpence ha’penny” was the fare charged for one passenger. The fresh arrival of immigrants at that time rendering ferry business very profitable, the enterprising young boatman was soon compelled to increase the facilities for transit. He constructed a horse boat – the horse being on deck attached to a windlass, which transferred the power to a wheel at the stern. Mr. Heron continued running the ferry until 1835. In 1829 he married Cynthia, youngest daughter of Cornelius Beaugardis, and American lady of German extraction, by whom he had four sons and one daughter, only one son now surviving. In 1835 he placed the ferry business in charge of another person, and opened a store at the Town of Niagara, which he conducted until 1838, when, in consequence of the increasing travel, he embarked in the steamboat business, by forming a joint partnership with Thomas Lockhart and Thomas Dick. The first boat, called the Experiment, was launched at Niagara and ran between York and Hamilton. She did not prove to be a paying investment, and was sold upon Mr. Lockhart retiring from the business, which was conducted by Mr. Heron and Captain Dick, who soon after built the City of Toronto, a side-wheel boat built at Niagara in 1840, afterwards called the Algoma. (Vol. II, p. 64)

JAMES HERSON, provision dealer, was born in the County of Tyrone, Ireland, in 1831, and when only three months old was brought to Canada by his parents, John and Mary Ann (MacDonald) Herson. He was the youngest in a family of five sons and four daughters. His father located in Little York, and being a carpenter carried on that trade; but only for a few months however, for, before a year had elapsed, he died from sunstroke; three of his sons also were carpenters. When he attained the age of fifteen he entered the employ of Andrew Heron, who owned several steamers. He ran on the old City of Toronto, the Chief Justice Robinson, the American, the Eclipse, and the Peerless (on which he was a steward), owned by Mr. Heron and Captain Dick; it ran between Toronto and Niagara, and made two trips a day. Mr. Herson was on the Rescue that ran on Lake Superior, between Collingwood and fort William, and had the honour of assorting the first mail that passed through Canadian territory. After leaving the steamer Rescue, he went fur trading among the Indians on the North Shore of Lake Superior, where he lived four years, during that time undergoing great hardships and having no nearer white neighbour than within a distance of eighty miles. He subsequently left that part of the country and engaged in blockade running until the close of the American War. This event over he went into business as provision dealer in St. Lawrence Market of this city, where he has since remained. He has two sisters living in Toronto and one in Dresden, Ont. Mr. Herson married a daughter of George Lennon. Our subject does not take much interest in municipal affairs, but has been a member of the Separate School Board. (Vol. II, p. 66)

WILLIAM HEWITT, deceased, was born at Hazelen, Essex, England, July 21st, 1794. He came to Montreal in 1820, and remained one season, at the end of which he returned home; four years later he came to York and located on King Street, near the Market, where he was engaged as a manufacturer for five years. During his residence in Toronto, Mr. and Mrs. Hewitt (Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph Richardson, whom he married on Jaunary 28th, 1819), were two of nine members who organized the first Baptist Church in York (now the Jarvis Street Baptist Church); three years later he removed to the Credit, where he remained a short time and then settled at Charlotteville, where he remained until the time of his death on August 1st, 1883. He held the office of Clerk of Division Court for forty-eight years, the duties of which office were punctually and satisfactorily discharged by him. He was also a magistrate for many years; in politics he was a Baldwin Reformer. Although nearly ninety years of age his mental faculties were clear and his mind seemed unimpaired up to the day of his death. For over sixty years he honoured his profession as a Christian and then passed away one of Ontario’s oldest Baptists, well versed in the history of the church, an original thinker, highly intelligent, a true Christian and a gentleman. The high esteem in which he was held was evinced by the attendance of a large number of the oldest and most influential citizens at his funeral. He was a much-loved parent of eleven children, ten of whom survived him: Joseph R. (in springfield, Mass.); William, 31 Magill Street, John, died in 1855; Thomas, carriage manufacturer, Templeton, Mass.; Elizabeth, Sarah, David and George, twins, Toronto, Ont.; Mary, living at Vittoria; Ellen, married John Palmer, a builder, Chicago; Hannah, married Joseph Pullan, Barrie, Ont.; William, passed his early life at Norfolk, Ont., until he was eighteen years of age; he came to Toronto in 1839, and entered the service of the late Peter Paterson, hardware dealer, with whom he served for eighteen years; he then engaged in business for himself, on the corner of Yonge and Adelaide Streets, for twenty-two years. For some time past he has been representing various manufacturing firms throughout Ontario. In 1846 he married Mary, daughter of James Skirrow, of the Township of Trafalgar, who was one of the earliest settlers. There are at the present time twenty-two grand and eighteen great-grandchildren, descendants of Mr. Wm. Hewitt, sen’r. (Vol. II, p. 66)

ROBERT JOHN HILL, retired, was born in Buckinghamshire, England, September 10th, 1820, being the eldest of seven children. His parents, James and Mary (Aris) Hill, came from England with their family in 1825, and settled at Utica, N.Y. In 1829 they left there and came to Little York by way of the Erie Canal, and across the lake from Lewiston in the steamer Canada, commanded by Captain Hugh Richardson. For a while they stayed at an hotel on Church Street, kept by a man named Secord; then they moved into a small house on Adelaide Street. James Hill was a carpenter and worked at that trade until 1834 when he died of the cholera; his wife died in 1879. The subject of this sketch was educated at the old central school of which Mr. Sprague, father of the late Chief Justice, was the master. While still a boy he became apprenticed for six years to John Esmond, that he might learn the tinsmith trade (Esmond’s shop was on the north side of King, between Bay and York Streets). He then worked for Mr. William Musson for four years, after which he was in the employ of Hiram Piper for five or six years, and subsequently in that of Henry Booth for five years. Mr. Hill became a member of the fire brigade in 1839, before his apprenticeship had expired; at that time Hiram Piper was Captain of the hook-and-ladder company, while William Musson was Captain of Nos. 1 and 2 hand engines, which were very primitive affairs. Mr. Hill was Captain of the hook-and-ladder company for twelve years. He witnessed many of the events of the Rebellion of 1837-8. He was one of the guards placed over John Montgomery when the latter was arrested and confined in the Parliament House. Mr. Hill has been twice married; first to Jane, daughter of John Wardrobe, of Cumberland, England; his second wife was Mrs. Salters, whose maiden name was Armstrong. He has a son living in Woodstock. In politics Mr. Hill is a Conservative. He is still in the Toronto Fire Brigade as engineer of the steamer “James B. Boustead”, and his cry is “Ever ready”. (Vol. II, p. 67)

WILLIAM HILL was born in England in 1832. He came to Canada in 1851, and the same year removed to the United States where he stayed four years. In 1855 he again took up his residence in Toronto. He has held the position of Inspector of Drains for the city the last five years. In 1853 he married Miss Jane Ripon who died in 1854, leaving one child. He married again, his second wife being Miss Jane Smith, by whom he had nine children, seven of whom are living. (Vol. II, p. 68)

WILLIAM HILL, jun’r, 71 Cumberland Street, was born on lot 5, concession I, west of Yonge Street in 1816. His grandfather, Thomas Hill, and his father William Hill, emigrated from Somersetshire, England in 1793, and landed at St. John, New Brunswick, with Governor Simcoe. They arrived at Little York in 1794 and pitched their tents on the west side of the River Don, the place being then marked by three Indian wigwams. In 1803 his grandfather removed from Little York to lot 15, concession I, York Township, and afterwards located on lot 5, west of Yonge Street, where his grandfather and father died. His father left at his death six sons and six daughters. The subject of this sketch came to Toronto in 1839 and worked at his trade of carpenter. He married in 1836, Margaret Cathcart, daughter of the late Alexander Cathcart, of York Township. (Vol. II, p. 68)

C.A. HIRSCHFELDER, U.S. Vice-Counsul, Mail buildings, 52 and 54 King Street West, is a native of Toronto, being the son of J.M. Hirschfelder, Professor of Oriental Languages, Toronto University. He was appointed U.S. Vice-Consul on the retirement of Mr. D. Thurston. Mr. Hirschfelder is a Canadian archaeologist, which he has made a life study, whose lectures and writings on this and kindred topics, together with his collection of Canadian archaeology, now in the Dominion Museum, Ottawa, has given him a wide reputation. The collection is said to be one of the finest in the world of Canadian archaeology. Mr. Hirschfelder is a member of many learned societies in Europe and America. (Vol. II, p. 68)

JOHN HIRST was born in Wakefield, Yorkshire, England. He emigrated to Canada in 1854, and located at Toronto, where he followed his trade of painter, working for the Grand Trunk Railway Company. He remained at this occupation until 1863, entering then into the hotel business, taking charge of the St. Lawrence Hotel, on King Street. He then went to the corner of Berkeley and King Streets, subsequently to Francis Street, afterwards to the Schiller House. He remained at the latter place nine years, and previous to retiring from business was for some time proprietor of the Russell House, on Yonge Street. He retired in 1883, having conducted the hotel business uninterruptedly for twenty-two years. Mr. Hirst married in 1854, previous to leaving England, Miss Sarah Graves Cherry, of Yorkshire, England, by whom he has six daughters and one son living. He is largely interested in real estate, owning fourteen houses in the city. (Vol. II, p. 69)

ELIJAH HULL was born in Somersetshire, England, and came to Canada in 1855. He followed the vocation of a gardener, and has been seven years engaged at the Horticultural Gardens. He is also sexton of St. Peter’s Church, and resides at the corner of Parliament and Amelia Streets. (Vol. II, p. 81)

SIMON HUMPHREY, builder, is the youngest son of Smith and Sarah (Greenwood) Humphrey, and was born in the Township of York, in 1821. His parents came from Providence, Rhode Island, at the conclusion of the War of 1812, and settled in Canada, locating on a farm of four hundred acres in the 3rd concession of York Township. The family consisted at that time of six sons and one daughter, all of whom were born in Providence. Mr. Humphrey, sen’r, with the assistance of his sons, cleared the land, and in connection with his farming worked at his trade of carpenter, and in 1827 erected a saw mill on the River Don, which he operated until his death, in 1832. Previous to his demise he had removed to Toronto, and, renting a house on the corner of Wellington and Bay Streets, worked at his trade, two of his sons occupying the farm. Simon, the subject of this notice, when eight years of age commenced to attend a school at Toronto, kept by Mr. S. E. Taylor, and afterwards learned the trade of builder with his brother-in-law, Robert James; and on completing his term of apprenticeship started business for himself, which he has ever since continued. (Vol. II, p. 81)

PETER HUTTY, deceased, was born at Cottingham, near Hull, Yorkshire, England, in 1819, being the only son of a family of four children, born to Joseph and Mary (Smith) Hutty. His father died in Montreal soon after they arrived, and his mother then came to York. He went on the farm of his maternal grandfather, Wm. Smith, who had emigrated from Yorkshire, England, and settled near Brampton. I.A. Smith was a son of his, who kept the Yorkshire House here for many years. He remained with his grandfather until he was seventeen years of age. In 1836 he came to Toronto, and engaged in a business in St. Lawrence Market, where he remained many years, carrying on a large business, and engaging in Government contracts. In 1839 he married Margaret, second daughter of John Gray, who was born in York in 1796. By his marriage he had a large family of sons and daughters, most of them living at his death in 1882; they were educated and brought up at the family residence, corner Yonge and Cottingham Streets, which street he named after his native place. For fourteen years Mr. Hutty held a seat in the Yorkville Council, two or three of which he was reeve, during which he introduced, and carried against much opposition, the erection of the Town Hall, the Public School, and allowing the street railroad to cross Bloor Street, all of which proved of great advantage to the people of Yorkville. He was a Justice of the Peace for several years. In politics he was a Conservative. Of a noble, generous disposition, he was respected by all who knew him. (Vol. II, p. 82)

PATRICK HYNES is the youngest son of Patrick Hynes and Frances (Bergin) Hynes, who settled with his family in York (now Toronto) in 1831, and was born in the County Tipperary, Ireland, May 1st, 1830. His father was a contractor and builder and carried on that business in Toronto until his death in 1857. The subject of this sketch was educated at St. Michael’s College, Clover Hill, Toronto, and in early life followed the business of his father. The elaborate plaster work in Osgoode Hall is a tribute to his skill and workmanship. In 1863 he was elected Alderman for St. David’s Ward, which then comprised St. David’s and St. Thomas’ Wards of the present day. He represented that ward for ten consecutive years, when he resigned to accept the position of one of a special commission to value the city. In 1864 he was appointed an officer in the Post-office Department of the Civil Service, which position he has since held. He is the Captain of No. 6 Company of the reserved Militia (east Toronto). Mr. Hynes has been twice married; in 1861 to Ellen Augusta, daughter of Cornelius Spilling and Annie Skelly; and in 1870 to Kate Jane, youngest daughter of William Kingsley and Ellen Minelian. By the former wife he has had three, and by the latter six, children, viz.: by the first, Michael Edward; Ellen Augusta; William Gilbert; by the second, Katie Frances; Charles Patrick; Frank Kingsley; Florence; Aileen and Mary Nora; all of whom still survive, except Ellen Augusta, who died in her first year. In politics Mr. Hynes is a Conservative, and in religion a Roman Catholic. He is a York Pioneer. (Vol. II, p. 83)

WILLIAM HYNES was born in Queen’s County, Ireland, in 1827. In 1831 he came to Canada with his parents and family who settled in Toronto (then Little York). William commenced to work at the age of ten years, and in due time started business for himself as contractor, which he has since continued. He married May Spilling, daughter of Cornelius Spilling, by whom he had the following children, four daughters and three sons: May Frances; Annie; Nellie and Lillie; P. William; John Francis and Alfred William Bergin. Mr. Hynes resides at 157 Wilton Avenue. (Vol. II, p. 83)