‘M’ surnamesCity of Toronto residents A History of Toronto and County of York

ALBERT A. MACDONALD, M.B., 202 Simcoe Street, is the son of the late Judge Archibald Macdonald, of Guelph, and grandson of the late Captain Macdonald of the 25th Regiment. He was born at Cobourg in 1851, and was educated at Guelph and at Toronto University, where he graduated in 1872. He then visited the medical schools of Great Britain, chiefly those in London and Edinburgh. He was afterwards elected a Fellow of the Obstetrical Society of London and became a Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Edinburgh. In 1873 he commenced active practice in Guelph, continuing until 1878 when he removed to Toronto where he has had extensive surgical experience. He is Surgeon to the Orphans’ Home, Surgeon on the active staff of the General Hospital and Consulting Surgeon to the Infants’ Home. He is also examiner for a number of insurance companies and is Medical Referee for Ontario for the Equitable Life Insurance Company of New York. Dr. Macdonald received a military training under the 29th and 60th Regiments, and took first class certificates at both the infantry and artillery schools, under Lieutenant-Colonel Williams, R.A. In 1872 he was appointed Surgeon to the Wellington Field Battery, and was afterwards transferred to a similar position in the Toronto Field Battery which he now holds. (Vol. II, p. 104)

W.H. MACDONALD, M.D., M.R.C.S., England; L.R.C.P. & S., Edinburgh, 422 Church Street, is a native of Inverness, Scotland. His father, Graham Macdonald, was a farmer in that country, came to Canada in 1856, and took up land in the County of Halton, where he now resides. Dr. Macdonald was educated at Trinity College, Toronto, and in 1883 graduated at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Edinburgh, and the same year in the Royal College of Surgeons, England. In 1883 he commenced practice in Toronto. He was one of the resident staff, Toronto General Hospital, in 1881-2, and Gold Medallist, Trinity Medical College, 1882. (Vol. II, p. 104)

H.T. MACHELL, M.D., was born in Aurora, Ontario, 1850. He was educated at Markham Grammar School. In 1873 he took his M.D. degree at Toronto University, and afterwards attended the Bellevue Hospital, New York, for some time. The years 1874-5 he spent in Great Britain, attending the colleges and hospitals in England and Scotland. Returning to Canada he settled down at his present address, No. 320 Spadina Avenue, where he has built up a very good practice. Dr. Machell married Miss Emily Broughall, daughter of the Rev. A.J. Broughall, Rector of St. Stephen’s Church, Toronto. (Vol. II, p. 104)

JAMES G. MALCOLM was born in the Township of Scarboro’, April 26th, 1840. His parents, Archibald and Elizabeth (Waddell) Malcolm, came to Canada from Scotland with seven children in 1834; his father had been three times married in Scotland. The family settled in the Township of Scarboro’, where the father bought two hundred acres of land in the 6th concession, where he died in 1866. The subject of this sketch left home in 1865, after having learned the trade of a carpenter, and went to Sharon, Pa., where he worked at his trade and where, in 1868, he was married to Laura A. Reeves, by whom he has two sons and one daughter. He was also living in Chicago at the time of the great fire. In 1874 he returned to Canada and settled at Toronto, where he shortly afterwards patented the Climax refrigerator; he sold the patent to Brice Bros., who are now making a large amount of money out of it. Mr. Malcolm built three large refrigerators for the new Canada Pacific Railway steamers, the Algoma, the Alberta and the Athabaska. Mr. Malcolm is a member of the A.F. and A.M. He has in his possession a very old Masonic emblem. It is a clasp which belonged to Malcolm, third King of Scotland, 1057. Mr. Malcolm is a great curler and belongs to the Toronto Curling Club. (Vol. II, p. 105)

ROBERT MALCOLM, saddle and harness-maker, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1832, being the seventh in a family of ten sons and five daughters. He came to Canada with his parents in 1834. His father, Archibald Malcolm, had been a farmer in Lanarkshire until he was twenty-five; he then spent his next twenty-five years in Harvey & Co.’s wholesale silk warehouse, Glasgow. After coming to Canada he engaged in farming in the Township of Scarboro’ where he resided until the time of his death, in 1861, in his seventy-seventh year. His wife was a daughter of the late William Waddel, of Boness, Scotland; she died in 1884 in her eighty-seventh year. Robert Malcolm remained on his father’s farm until 1848, when he came to Toronto and learned his trade with the late William Gibson in East Market Square. He then carried on business in Scarboro’ for a short time, removing to Toronto in 1853, where he has continued in business ever since. Mr. Malcolm is a Presbyterian, and a Liberal in politics. In 1854 he married Ann, eldest daughter of the late George Cummings. Mrs. Malcolm’s mother is still hale and hearty at eighty-six, and can read the smallest print without glasses. Robert Malcolm is an enthusiastic curler, and is connected with the Grand National Curling Club of America, and also with the Ontario branch of the Caledonian Curling Club of Scotland. (Vol. II, p. 105)

THOMAS MARA, retired, was born in the town of Carrick-on-Shannon, Leitrim, Ireland, in 1808, and is the third in a family of four sons and two daughters. His parents were Andrew and Mary (McMann) Mara; they died in Ireland; his father was a farrier. In 1832 Thomas Mara came to Canada, and having learned shoemaking in Ireland worked at that trade in Toronto, with Thomas Griffiths, for two or three years. He then opened a shop for himself at 244 King Street West, which he continued for about ten years. Then for thirty-five years he was engaged in buying real estate, he has now retired from business. Two of his brothers, John and Andrew, came out in 1842; both are now dead. John’s family is living on Grange Avenue. In 1835 Mr. Mara married the eldest daughter of Robert Stephens, of the Township of Nelson, by whom he has the following children, viz.: Susan, married J. Hollinrake, of Milton; William, lives in St. Louis, Mo.; Thomas, lives in Milton; Margaret, widow of J. Hickman, lives in Toronto; Henry S., is a real estate broker on Toronto Street; Sarah, married Alderman J. Brandon, Toronto; Mary Jane lives at home. Mr. Mara served under Captain Ross in the Rebellion, and was a member of the old fire brigade for fifteen years, and captain for seven years. He was a member of the City Council in 1845-6. In religion he is a Methodist, and in politics a Conservative; he is a member of the Irish Protestant Benevolent Association. (Vol. II, p. 106)

WILLIAM P. MARSTON was born in the County of Kent, England, in 1820, and came to America in 1832. He remained in the States until 1851, after which he removed to Toronto and located on Yonge Street, where he conducted a gun business for twenty-eight years. He was the first in this line of trade who carried on this business successfully for so long a period, and was the only one who manufactured guns in Canada. He retired from business in 1879, and has since resided at 99 Alexander Street. (Vol. II, p. 106)

THEODORE HENRY AUGUSTUS MARTENS, professor of music, 37 Charles Street, was born in Hamburg, Germany, where he received his first musical education under Charles Kolling, and in 1864 went to the Royal Conservatoire of Music in Leipsic to continue his studies under Moscheles, Car Reinecke, Plaidy, etc., and the great canonicus, Dr. Hauptman. Here he pursued his studies with such earnestness and diligence that he was awarded the Mendelssohn Prize which he carried off out of one hundred and fifty contestants, and graduated with honour and full diploma in 1867. At the end of 1868 he came to New York where he made his first appearance in Steinway Hall, in one of Theodore Thomas’ symphony concerts. Shortly afterwards he was engaged as Pianist by the great Violinist, Ole Bull, to travel with him through the United States, and in 1869 came to Canada. While in Halifax he had the honour of performing before His Royal Highness Prince Arthur of England. He held the Professorship of the Sackville Academy for three years, after which he was three years organist of Holy Trinity at St. John, N.B. Returning to Germany for a few months he came back to Canada and settled in Toronto, and has since been a resident. (Vol. II, p. 106)

JOHN MARTIN was born in Simcoe County, Ontario, November 8th, 1840, and settled in Toronto in 1856, when he became a messenger boy for the Exchange Bank, remaining there until its failure. He attended the Military School where he received a first grade certificate in 1866. For several years he was book-keeper for the late Robert Wilkes. In 1872 he was admitted to the bar as an attorney and barrister and now practises his profession at 46 Church Street. (Vol. II, p. 107)

JOHN M. MARTIN, machinist, Parkdale, was born in Toronto in 1849. His parents, James and Mary (Moodie) Martin, were both born in Dundee, Scotland, and came to Canada in 1848, when he settled in Toronto. His father became foreman in the mechanical shop of the Grand Trunk Railway and superintended the construction of the first engine run on that road. John M. Martin was educated in the public schools. When he was twelve years of age he began to learn his trade, at which he has ever since worked. In 1871 he married Harriet Bright, who was born in Toronto, April 22nd, 1853. (Vol. II, p. 107)

JAMES MATHEWS, proprietor of the Robinson House, and ship-owner, was born in the Township of Pickering in 1823, being the second son in a family of seven children. His parents, John and Hannah (Peak) Mathews, came from St. John, N.B., and landed at Ashbridge’s Bay, there being only three small houses in York then. They settled on two hundred acres of land in Pickering, being lot 12 in the 2nd concession. He worked on the farm until his death in 1878, aged eighty-five years. During the War of 1812 he fought at Lundy’s Lane, Queenston Heights, Detroit and Sandwich, for which he received four medals; he stood within six feet of General Brock when he fell and assisted in carrying him off the field. At his death he left four children: William, Elizabeth, James and John. James Mathews resided on his father’s farm until 1847. He came to Toronto in 1854, and opened the International Hotel. He spent a year in Oil Springs, and returning to Toronto in 1861 engaged in his present business. He is a Reformer and a Methodist, and takes an active part in temperance work, being Vice-President of the Temperance Reformation Society. In 1849 he married Charlotte C., eldest daughter of Samuel Thorold, of Niagara, Ontario. (Vol. II, p. 107)

N. MAUGHAN, Assessment Commissioner for this city, is a native of Northumberland, England, and came to Canada in 1832, with his people, at the age of ten years. His parents died the year of their arrival here; his father on the journey at Lockport, New York. Our subject in his youth learned the trade of carpenter, and resided at the suburban Village of Eglinton. He followed building and contracting for many years in and about Toronto, up to 1869, when he moved into the city, and in 1872 he became identified with the Assessment Department. In 1877 he was appointed Assessment Commissioner, which he has since retained. In 1843 he married Sophia Riley, a native of Prescott, Ontario, whose father was formerly from the County of Cavan, Ireland, her mother being the daughter of Colonel Drummond, an officer in the regular army, who was instrumental in settling the Scotch Pioneers in that region. His family consists of three sons and two daughters. (Vol. II, p. 108)

FRANCIS H. MEDCALF, deceased, son of William Medcalf, was born in the County of Wicklow, Ireland, in 1803, being the eldest in a family of ten children. In 1819 he came to Canada with his parents, who located on a farm in the Bayham District, County of Elgin, where he resided for four years. He then went to Philadelphia, Pa., where he learned the trade of a millwright and worked for several years. He subsequently married Mary, daughter of John Harrison. In 1839 he came to Toronto and located on Richmond Street, east of Church Street; four years later he removed to Queen Street, upon the present site of Good’s foundry, opposite to which he conducted business for several years as a manufacturer of agricultural implements. In 1850, in order to afford better accommodation for his increasing business, he removed to King Street East, near the Don, where he carried on business as builder of steam engines, saw and grist mill machinery, and threshing machines, until 1875, when he retired from business and rented his place to Mr. Charles Livey, which was destroyed by fire in 1877. In 1879 he purchased the foundry at 503 King Street East, then owned by the late William Hamilton; he conducted that until his death in 1880. Besides attending to his large manufacturing interest, Mr. Medcalf sat in the City Council for six years, representing St. Lawrence, St. John’s and St. David’s Wards. For five years he was Mayor of the city, during which time he visited London, England, and Ireland, at his own expense, at the invitation of the Lord Mayor, to attend the grand banquet at the Guildhall, given in honour of the mayors of the cities and towns throughout the colonies. He was a Magistrate, and was brought out for parliamentary honours in East Toronto, but was defeated by the Hon. M.C. Cameron. He was a prominent member of the Orange Body, of which he was Grand Master, and was also a member of the A.F. and A.M., and of the Church of England. At his death he left six children, of whom Alfred, the third in order of birth, succeeded him in business. Mr. F.H. Medcalf built the first threshing machine and cleaner (combined) in Canada. He was very unfortunate by fire, having had his place of business completely destroyed six times, four on Queen Street and twice at the Don; at the first four he lost everything having no insurance, on the latter he had a small insurance but saved nothing. (Vol. II, p. 108)

ANDREW F. MERCER was born in Toronto in 1851. His father, Andrew Mercer, sen’r, was born in Sussex, England, 1778. In 1802 he came to Canada with his father, whom he continued to live with up to the time of his death, which occurred June 24th, 1824. In 1803 Andrew Mercer, sen’r, received from the Government a grant of two hundred acres of land, which afterwards proved to be the most valuable property; in the same year he became a clerk in the Government Office. He was afterwards engaged in business as a general merchant on King Street, and subsequently kept a distillery at Hogg’s Hollow (York Mills). After giving up the distillery he was appointed issuer of marriage licenses, which position he held until his death in 1871. He had amassed a great fortune; he sold a portion of land between King and Wellington Streets, west of the Parliament Buildings, to the Rossin family for $20,000; at his death he held $90,000 stock in the Merchants’ Bank; he was offered $60,000 cash for the place where he lived, near the south-east corner of Bay and Wellington Streets. He gave a great deal for charitable purposes. After his death his estate reverted to the Crown, and the Government of Ontario, acting for the Crown, erected out of the estate an institution for the reclamation of fallen women known as the Andrew Mercer Reformatory at a cost of $90,000; also an eye and ear infirmary, known as the Andrew Mercer Eye and Ear Infirmary, in connection with the Toronto General Hospital at a cost of $10,000, a small portion of the estate being allotted to Andrew F. Mercer. (Vol. II, p. 109)

THOMAS MEREDITH, retired, was born in the County Sligo, Ireland August 15th, 1812. His father was John Meredith, a linen draper, and his mother Mary McDonald. In 1829 he came out with his brother John and located in Little York. He was first employed as a clerk in John Watkins’ hardware store on King Street East. He was in partnership with Gooderham & Worts for ten years, and dealt a great deal in grain which he brought from several of the ports on Lake Ontario. He married Susannah Ardagh, by whom he had the following children viz.: Arthur, Thomas, Richard, William, George, Sarah and Fanny. In religion Mr. Meredith is a member of the Church of England. (Vol. II, p. 110)

HONOURABLE WILLIAM H. MERRITT, St. Catharines. A biography of William Hamilton Merritt, of more than four hundred pages, has been published by his eldest son living, J.P. Merritt, therefore we propose to give only a brief sketch of his life in this work – briefer than would otherwise seem to answer our purpose. His father, Thomas Merritt, a Loyalist of the Revolutionary time, and a Cornet in the regiment known as Simcoe’s Queen’s Rangers, married Mary Hamilton, of South Carolina, left the United States with other Loyalists for New Brunswick in 1783, removed to Canada in 1793, and it was while on this journey that our subject was born in the State of New York, on the 3rd of July, 1793. The family settled on the Twelve-Mile Creek, in the old Niagara District. Here the boy, then three years old, grew to manhood and made his history. He commenced his education under Mr. Cockerell, at Burlington, now Hamilton, continuing his studies at Niagara, and receiving a slight classical polishing at the hands of the Rev. John Burns. At fifteen years of age he visited St. John, New Brunswick, where he had relatives, and where he studied surveying algebra, trigonometry and other useful branches. In June, 1812, when the United States declared war against Great Britain, he immediately drew his sword, having just received a Lieutenant’s commission. Three months later he was Major, and, at the Battle of Queenston Heights, October 13th, 1812, holding the position of Commander of Militia Cavalry of Upper Canada, he was deputed by General Sheafe to receive the swords of the American officers captured. He was in other engagements, including those at Detroit, for which he received a medal, at Stony Creek and Lundy’s Lane, and during the latter engagement was taken prisoner. At the close of the war Mr. Merritt returned to St. Catharines, went into the commercial trade, and continued in trade until 1819. In 1818 he had a survey made of the land from the south branch of the Twelve-Mile Creek now at Allenburgh, due south two miles to the Chippewa, in order to see if it was feasible to supply his mills by means of a canal with a full supply of water from the latter stream. This apparently trifling undertaking finally suggested to Mr. Merritt the more gigantic enterprise of connecting the waters of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, by means of a canal. This grand idea – the Welland Canal – which he conceived, was commenced in November, 1824, and completed in November, 1829. It was the pioneer enterprise of the kind in Upper Canada. But Mr. Merritt’s spirit was indomitable; he had noble coadjutors in the work, and it was done, giving Mr. Merritt a red-letter page of unsurpassed brilliancy in the history of Canadian enterprise. In 1832 Mr. Merritt was elected to Parliament for Haldimand; was placed on the Finance Committee, and served several years in that body, becoming chairman of the committee just mentioned, in January, 1838. He went into the Government as President of the Executive Council in 1848, and was Chief Commissioner of Public Works in 1850; sat for Haldimand and Lincoln until 1860, when he was elected to the Legislative Council for the Counties of Lincoln and Welland. As a legislator he looked well to the interests of the Welland Canal; was a strong advocate of internal improvements generally; took broad and statesmanlike views of all subjects coming up for consideration, and was one of the most industrious and useful members of Parliament. He was a strong advocate of the union of Upper and Lower Canada, a measure which was effected in 1841. During the period of his legislative career, the Rebellion occurred (1837-38), but Mr. Merritt entered into none of the military proceedings, designating the attempt at revolution as the Monkey War. In 1840, Mr. Merritt, who had long been a Director of the Welland Canal, was again elected President of the company, and continued to work with the utmost diligence for its interests. He was rightly regarded as the father of that grand public work. He favoured the building of the Welland Railway, which now runs along the side of the canal, knowing that both would aid in the development of the country. He took a liberal and comprehensive view of all such matters, and laboured untiringly to promote the welfare of Canada until his death, which occurred on the 5th July, 1862. Thomas Rodman Merritt, the youngest of the three sons who grew to manhood, was educated at Grantham Academy and Upper Canada College; was a merchant at St. Catharines from 1844 to 1846; a miller for the next twenty-three years; a Director of the Niagara District Bank for more than twenty years and its President for several years; a member of the Dominion Parliament from 1868 to 1874, and is now Managing-Director of the Welland Railway, Vice-President of the Imperial Bank, and president of two or three local corporations or societies. “Rodman Hall”, his home is one of the most elegant residences on the Niagara Peninsula. (Vol. II, p. 110)

JAMES METCALF, 174 Bloor Street West, is a native of Cumberland, England, and is the eldest son of James Metcalf, contractor. In 1842 the subject of this sketch came to Toronto, and commenced business as a contractor. Among the buildings erected by him, St. James’ Cathedral bears testimony to his workmanship. He also built the old Post-office, Trinity College, and other public buildings. He went to Australia in 1852, and carried on business there for four years, and returning again to Toronto retired into private life. In 1867 Mr. Metcalf was returned as a representative in the House of Commons, and remained as such until 1878. He was elected President of the Royal Canadian Bank in 1865, and appointed a J.P. the year previous. In 1843 he married Miss Ellen Howson, daughter of John Howson, of Peterborough County, Ontario. (Vol. II, p. 112)

JAMES MICHIE, deceased. Prominent among those names which have been associated with the progress and development of Toronto the one which heads this sketch is especially worthy of mention. His death being of comparatively recent occurrence, the citizens of Toronto will retain a vivid remembrance of the munificence which distinguished his lifetime, and the generous manner with which he caused his wealth to be disbursed for the benefit of the city charities and other public institutions on his demise. Mr. Michie was of Scotch birth and parentage, his home being Corryhoul, Strathdon, Aberdeenshire. He was born in 1828, and was the youngest of a family of seven children, the issue of the union of James and Sophia Michie. At the age of seventeen he came to Canada in company with his elder brother Henry, and entered the service of A. Ogilvie & Co., wholesale and retail grocers, of Toronto, in which house his uncle, the late Mr. George Michie, held a partnership, and to whose influence, doubtless, our subject was indebted for his entrance on a business career which eventually proved so strikingly successful. This business, with which the name of Michie is now so prominently connected, was first established in 1836, with a branch in Montreal, the founders being Alexander Ogilvie and Thomas Kay, under whose name it was conducted until 1852. In that year Messrs. James Michie and A.T. Fulton were admitted into the firm, and with the great increase of business it was decided also to separate the wholesale department from the retail, which was accordingly done, the former being conducted by Messrs. George Michie and A.T. Fulton, on Yonge Street, and the retail business remaining on King Street, with the firm name of Fulton, Michie & Co., under the management of Mr. James Michie. The death of Mr. Kay in 1855 somewhat altered the position of affairs, that event being signalized by the closing of the Montreal branch, and transference of all his business to Toronto, which was continued by the remaining partners until 1866 when Mr. George Michie died, the business being thereafter conducted by the two surviving members of the firm. On Mr. Michie’s death in 1883 this flourishing concern passed into the hands of John F., George S., and Forbes Michie who compose the present firm, and business is still carried on under the old style of Fulton, Michie & Co. Apart from his own particular business, which must of necessity have occupied the greater portion of his time and attention, Mr. Michie’s business talents found scope in other departments where his knowledge of finance proved of no little value. He held at stated periods a directorship in the Bank of Commerce, the Western Assurance Company and the Cominion Telegraph Company, in the latter of which he combined also the position of treasurer; the vice-presidency of the Freehold Loan and Savings Company, and likewise was a member of the Board of Trade. Before the Whitby, Port Perry, and Lindsay Railroad became amalgamated with the Midland, it had, for the preceding ten years, been owned by Mr. Michie, his partner, Mr. Fulton, and two other gentlemen, and was operated by them during that period, they having purchased it from the original proprietors. It would naturally be conceived that one in his position, and in whose competence his fellow-citizens had unbounded faith should scarcely have failed to respond to the many earnest solicitations with which he was assailed to accept municipal and political honours. But no, his inclinations did not tend that way, and all temptations held out to him of future distinction in that direction were modestly refused, to the disadvantage, we cannot help but think, of the governing bodies generally, where his habitual caution and knowledge of financial matters would have been of great service. We have hitherto mentioned the success which attended Mr. Michie’s business career, it is now our pleasing duty to record the minds of our citizens, and which bear full testimony to the general desire on his part to benefit the inhabitants of the city. One act may be mentioned which of itself would show the generosity of his nature. His late uncle, George Michie, originated the Home for Incurables, leaving a legacy of $2,000 to found the institution, provided an equal amount should be given by the public within three years. In case they failed to comply the bequest was to revert to Mr. James Michie. The public failed to subscribe the amount necessary within the specified time. The deceased (who was residuary legatee under the will) carried out his uncle’s intentions and likewise added the substantial sum of $4,000, and to him alone the foundation of the Home is due. His charitable disposition on many a memorable occasion was put to the test, and never found wanting, but it was reserved for Toronto to know, when she had lost him, of what sterling quality was composed the mind of the man who had passed away. By his will he bequeathed to the Toronto Hospital, $3,000; Lying-in-Hospital, $2,000; St. Andrew’s Church, $4,000; Queen’s College, Kingston, $4,000; Widows and Orphans, $4,000; Temporalities Fund, $4,000; Tract Society, $500; Bible Society, $1,000; Magdalen Asylum, $2,000; Girls’ Home, $2,000; Boys’ Home, $2,000; House of Industry, $3,000, and the poor of the parish of Cargaff, Scotland, $200. As a true friend of the Church, Mr. Michie never neglected her interest, nay, he was profuse in his generosity in this respect; witness his magnificent contribution of $11,000 towards the building fund of St. Andrew’s Church (of which he was a devoted member), besides large donations for missionary and other purposes. He was appointed a member of the board of managers of his church in July, 1861, and was chairman of the building committee, in both of which positions he rendered valuable service. He was a member of the Council of Queen’s College, Kingston, and at his death a resolution of condolence with his family, was passed by the college board. As one of Scotia’s sons, he was ever true to the memory of his native land, and was always a steadfast friend to his countrymen. Year after year they urged him to accept the presidency of St. Andrew’s Society, of which he was a member, but his retiring disposition was opposed to the gratification of their desires. It was not until the annual meeting in 1881 that he was prevailed upon to allow his name to be used, and at the annual meeting previous to his death he was re-elected. In business circles he was respected for his integrity, and every reliance could be placed upon his word. He was alike remarkable for the simplicity of his character, as he was unaffected by his prosperity and accumulated wealth. What he gave, he gave freely, and his own happiness appeared bound up in the prospect of making others so. “Oh, heaven! The good that some men do that others leave to do.” He passed away beloved by his fellow-countrymen, respected by all as a gentleman and a citizen. His remains were followed to Mount Pleasant Cemetery by thousands, both rich and poor, and buried beneath many floral offerings of the most eminent men of the city and province, a just and fitting tribute to the purity of his life. (Vol. II, p. 112)

ROBERT BELL MILLER, barrister, was born in 1814 and is the son of George Miller, a surgeon, who was educated in Edinburgh, Scotland, and who afterwards went to Ireland, where he married Mary Bell, third daughter of Dr. Bell. In 1820, the parents of our subject settled at Niagara with their family of five sons and two daughters, where Surgeon Miller lived until his death, which occurred in 1829; his wife died in 1841. Robert Bell Miller came to Toronto in 1829, and began business as a clerk in the store of Thomas Bell on King Street, where he remained until 1834, during which five years he had been studying law. In 1839, he was admitted to the bar, and at once commenced the practice which he has ever since continued. Mr. Miller served in the “Queen’s Rangers” at the time of the Rebellion, and witnessed the destruction of the Caroline. He is a Conservative, an Episcopalian and an Oddfellow of many years standing. He married Susannah, seventh child of the late Thomas Bell, of the Royal Engineers, and one of the old residents of Toronto. Both of Mr. Miller’s sisters are still living; one in the Township of Ancaster, County of Wentworth, and the other at Niagara. (Vol. II, p. 114)

FREDERICK MILLIGAN, deceased, was born in Chester, England, March 25th, 1820. His father, Arthur Milligan, was a soldier in her Majesty’s 71st Regiment; he came to Canada with the regiment in 1824; his wife and family came in 1830. He died here in 1861; his wife died in 1881. At the latter’s death she left the following children: Frederick, Fanny, Alexander, Joseph, William, Robert and George. Frederick Milligan was married in 1842 to Margaret, daughter of John Bowman, by whom he had nine children. For some years he was a tailor, but in 1848 he opened a hotel called the Lord Roden and Colonel Verner. He died the 16th of May, 1883. At his death he left three daughters. (Vol. II, p. 115)

JAMES MITCHELL, retired, was born in the County of Armagh, North of Ireland, in 1811, being the fourth in a family of four sons and one daughter, born to James and Sarah (Hamilton) Mitchell, of Scotch extraction. In 1832 he came to Canada and located in York Township, where he engaged in lumbering and farming and also kept a store at Eglinton. He remained there for over forty years and only a few years ago returned to the city, where he now resides. Mr. Mitchell married a daughter of Jacob Snider, Esq., by whom he has four sons and five daughters living. During the Mackenzie Rebellion he was arrested and detained for two days; he boarded at Montgomery’s Hotel. Mr. Mitchell’s elder brother, Robert, who came to Canada in 1834, is now living retired in Harriston. (Vol. II, p. 115)

GEORGE MONRO, deceased, ex-Mayor of Toronto, was born in Scotland in 1797. In 1800 his father emigrated to Canada, and settled at Niagara, where he resided until his death. After the close of the war of 1812, George Monro removed from Niagara to York, where he entered the service of his brother John, who opened a general store between George and Frederick Streets on King, afterwards on the corner of George and King Streets. On the death of his brother in 1830, he assumed control of the business which he continued until 1869, when he retired. From 1834 until 1841 he represented St. Lawrence Ward in the City Council. In 1841 he was elected Mayor, which office he filled most satisfactorily. From 1842 until 1845 he again represented St. Lawrence Ward in the Council. In 1844-5 he represented the third Riding of York, now East York, in the old Parliament of Canada. During the Rebellion of 1837, he was commissioned a captain of the York Volunteers. His wife was Christina Fisher of Montreal. Mr. Monro died in 1879, leaving two sons and four daughters, some of whom reside in Toronto. (Vol. II, p. 115)

GEORGE MONRO, JUN’R, son of the late ex-Mayor Monro, was born in the building now known as the Black Horse Hotel in Toronto in 1831. He spent some years in business with his father. He was subsequently educated as a Civil Engineer, and was employed on the construction of the Toronto and Guelph line of the Grand Trunk Railway. For the past fourteen years he has been connected with Her Majesty’s Customs at Toronto. (Vol. II, p. 116)

JOHN M. MONRO, eldest son of the late ex-Mayor Monro, was born at York in 1828. In 1862 he went to Australia, where he remained nine years. In 1871 he went to England and Ireland, where he travelled for three years. He then returned to Toronto, where he has since remained. He resides at the Queen’s Hotel. (Vol. II, p. 116)

ALEXANDER MONTGOMERY, carriage manufacturer, 838 Queen Street West, was born in Markham Township, a little east of Yonge Street, near Hogg’s Hollow, now York Mills, November 1st, 1835. His father, Richard Montgomery, a brother of John Montgomery, who played such a prominent part in the Rebellion of 1837, was born in February, 1807, east of York Mills, and died August 14th, 1873. His wife was Hannah, daughter of John Smith, by whom he had the following children, all of whom survived him: Jane, born December 6th, 1832; John S., March 4th, 1834; Alexander, November 1st, 1835; Nathan M., July 23rd, 1837; Sarah Ann, September 10th, 1839; Martha, August 31st, 1841; Joseph, May 11th, 1843; Nancy, June 21st, 1845; David, May 25th, 1847; Mary E., July 22nd, 1849; Mahala, June 20th, 1850; Jerusha, May 6th, 1853; Victoria, May 23rd, 1855; Charles A., August 10th, 1857. The mother of these children was born near Thornhill, April 28th, 1812, and died October 14th, 1883. Alexander Montgomery began to learn the trade of a carriage maker and general blacksmith when he was quite young; he has been manufacturing carriages for twenty-five years. In 1866, he married Mary Anne, daughter of Joseph Peelar. The Peelars were U.E. Loyalists, and settled west of the Hooton in 1800. Mary Ann Hooton, the great-grandmother of Mrs. Montgomery was drowned while crossing that river on horseback. Mrs. Montgomery’s grandmother lived to be eighty-four years of age. She had a narrow escape from being shot during the Battle of York in 1812, while walking across Bloor Street with her son, then an infant in her arms. (Vol. II, p. 116)

DR. JOHN W. MONTGOMERY, son of John and Mary Montgomery, was born at Newtonbrook, Ontario, in 1827. Hence he was only ten years of age when the Rebellion broke out, at which time he and his cousin (Abraham Wilson) were the only persons in the old hotel, the “Sickle and Sheaf”, owned by his father, when the first cannon shot came through his home, cutting down the three chimneys. These two lads stood viewing the scene from one of the upper windows; they thought it mere sport until a second shot entered the wing, when they were removed by some of their friends. After the Rebellion closed, and his father made his escape to the United States, his family joined him at Rochester, N.Y. Here our subject attended the Collegiate Institute until 1843, when the family returned to Toronto. He entered the private medical school taught by the late Dr. John Rolph, where he graduated in 1847. During his medical course he was offered, by a vote of his class, the position of Demonstrator of Anatomy, which he accepted. After completing his education, he practised at Sutton Village, Ontario, twenty-five years. In 1872, he removed to Bell Ewart, Simcoe County, where he remained until 1877, when he received the appointment of assistant superintendant in the Kingston Insane Asylum, where he remained five years. In 1882 he was transferred to the Hamilton Insane Asylum, where he at present resides. In politics he has always been a strong Reformer. His first wife was Josephine Gorham, of the city of New York; second, Elizabeth Anderson, of Hawick, Scotland; his third, Charlotte, daughter of William Jones, Esq., of Kingston, Ontario. He has four sons and three daughters. (Vol. II, p. 117)

EDWARD M. MORPHY, jeweller, was born in the North of Ireland in 1820, and emigrated to Canada in 1835, in company with his master, he being at that time an apprentice. In 1837, his father, mother, six brothers and three sisters followed him, all of whom settled in Toronto. During the Mackenzie Rebellion his father and elder brothers were among the first to volunteer to support the loyal cause, the former being appointed captain of a city corps. Three of his brothers entered the legal profession, one entered the Civil Service and two besides himself became jewellers. Mr. Morphy has been established at 141 Yonge Street for over forty years; his family consists of five children, two sons and three daughters; the eldest son, Mr. J. Morphy, is now in partnership with the father under the style of Morphy, Sons & Co. The eldest daughter is married to Mr. E.J. Malone, of the firm of Edgar & Malone, barristers. The family have built over fifty first class houses in Toronto. (Vol. II, p. 117)

HUGH ANGUS MORRISON, railway conductor, was born in Toronto in 1830, being the youngest in a family of three daughters and one son. His father was Hugh Morrison, who was born in Scotland in 1798, and who, after resigning his captaincy in the “Black Watch” Highland regiment, came to Canada in 1829 with Sir John Colborne. He was then a widower, with five children, his first wife, Mary Curran, having died in Scotland. The Honourable Justice Morrison is the eldest of his sons, by his first marriage; the others were Angus and Michael; the daughters were Betsey and Jeanette. After coming to Canada he married a daughter of Captain Alexander Montgomery, by whom he had four children. He first engaged in farming, and subsequently kept a hotel on Yonge Street. The subject of this sketch has been engaged on railways for twenty-four years. He began as baggage man and is now a conductor running between Toronto and London. In 1863 he married Sarah Jane Ferris, of Toronto. (Vol. II, p. 118)

FREDERICK M. MORSON (of Bigelow & Morson, barristers) was born at Chamby, Quebec, and is the only son of Frederick Morson, M.D., of Niagara, Ontario, and a native of Rochester, Kent, England. In 1845, Mr. Morson, senior, came to Canada and settled in Montreal, where he practised his profession as M.D., removing in 1860 to Niagara, his present residence. F.M. Morson was educated at Niagara Grammar School, and graduated with honours at Trinity College, Toronto, in 1872. He was called to the bar in 1877, and in that year entered on the practice of his profession at Hamilton, and in 1878 in Toronto. In 1878, he married Miss Catherine Wyatt, eldest daughter of the late George Wyatt, Esq., of this city. (Vol. II, p. 118)

ALEXANDER MUIR was born in the Parish of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. His father, John Muir, came to Canada in 1833, accompanied by his wife and two sons, Alexander and John, arriving at Toronto (then Little York), in the month of August of that year. Shortly after his arrival, he took up his residence in the Township of Scarboro’, where he lived till his death in 1865. Alexander is now a resident of Toronto, being Headmaster of one of the city public schools. His brother John is Treasurer of the Chicago Academy of Music. (Vol. II, p. 118)

HECTOR MUNRO, deceased, father of L.H.R. Munro, was born at Dornoch, Scotland, in 1796. He came to Canada in 1812 with the 49th Regiment, being a brother officer of Sir Allan McNab. He participated in the battles of Chrysler’s Farm, Queenston Heights, and Lundy’s Lane, and carried the colours at Chrysler’s Farm. After the war he retired on half-pay; and, when again placed on full pay, was stationed at St. John’s, Newfoundland, from which he removed to Toronto, having been transferred to the Royal Canadian Rifles. He subsequently filled the position of Collector of Customs at Galt, until 1854, when he died, leaving eight children. His son, George T. Munro, who had been retired as a captain on half pay on the disbanding of the Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment with his wife and child and youngest sister were lost at sea on one of the Allan vessels, the Hazeldean, in 1870. (Vol. II, p. 119)

RICHARD H.R. MUNRO, barrister, was born in 1840 at St. John’s Newfoundland, where his father Hector Munro, an officer in the Royal Newfoundland veteran companies, was stationed. He came to Toronto with his parents, and after having studied law in the office of the Hon. Edward Blake, graduated in 1867. He formed a partnership with Wm. Proudfoot of Hamilton, which continued until 1870. Mr. Munro married a daughter of James Barnum, of Grafton, Ontario. (Vol. II, p. 119)

JOHN MURCHISON, deceased, was born in 1778 in Glengarry, whither his father, one of the U.E. Loyalists, fled from New York (he was a descendant of the Macdonalds of Glenco, Scotland). He went to Niagara when only thriteen years old; from thence he came to York in 1800 in a small boat, and started in business as a merchant tailor on King Street, where the Clyde Hotel now stands. In 1808 he was married in the old English Church to Frances E., daughter of Joseph Hunt, Commissary officer. He served in the War of 1812, in the York Volunteers, and was appointed sergeant-major; he was in the Battle of Queenston Heights, after which he was sent by the Governor with three of the prisoners from Niagara to Kingston in a small boat, having only two assistants. His eldest son John was among those who marched to quell the rebels at Montgomery’s Farm in 1837. He represented St. Lawrence Ward in the City Council; he was a Conservative and member of the Church of England. In 1838, he retired from business and lived in the present homestead which he built in 1836 on Cruickshank Lane, now Bathurst Street, being the only house on the street except Mr. Cruickshank’s farm-house. He died in 1870, leaving of nine children only three living viz.: Sarah, now aged 72, Charlotte, aged 68 and Richard Duncan, aged 62, who for several years was in business on Queen Street. The latter, at his father’s death, removed to the homestead where he is now living; he had been married twice, first in 1847, and second in 1861; he had seven children by his first wife, five of whom are living, and eight by the second, all living; of the first children, the three eldest are married in Toronto. In politics Mr. Murchison is a Conservative, and in religion a member of the Church of England. (Vol. II, p. 119)

JAMES MURRAY was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1814. In early life he acquired the trade of a tinsmith, and on coming to Toronto in 1842, commenced a business which he conducted successfully until 1874. He subsequently purchased property on Alexander Street, where he now lives retired. He married Jane, daughter of Alexander Miller, by whom he has two sons who have succeeded him in the business still carried on at 224 Yonge Street. Mr. Murray is a member of the Carlton Street Methodist Church, and in politics sympathises with the Reform Party. (Vol. II, p. 120)

EDWARD J. MUSSON, of the firm of Mackenzie, Musson & Co., Toronto, was born at Weston, June 24, 1834. His father, Edward Musson, was born in London, England, and emigrated to Canada in 1820. He bought up land in the Township of Etobicoke near Weston, where he and his brother Thomas, engaged in farming, saw-mill and distillery business. In 1840 he removed to Islington and carried on farming, saw-milling and store-keeping; he creditably filled the offices of Township Clerk, Councillor and Reeve; he died in 1871. His wife was Ann, daughter of John Smart, whom he married in 1831, and by whom he had eight children. Edward J. Musson was educated at Islington, Toronto Academy and Upper Canada College. In 1853 he went to Brampton to learn store-keeping with the late Mr. Peleg Howland. From 1855 to 1863 he kept a store at Thistleton; after which he was farming and store-keeping at Weston. In 1875 he came to Toronto. He is married to a Miss Taylor. He is a Conservative, an Episcopalian, and a member of the York Pioneer Society. (Vol. II, p. 120)

WILLIAM MUSSON, deceased, was born in London, England, in the year 1799. He came to Canada in the year 1820 with his wife (Mary Ann Wordley), father, mother, and two brothers (Thomas and Edward). The family settled at Weston, where the father died in the year 1832, aged eighty-seven years, and the mother in the year 1846, aged seventy-seven years. The father was a manufacturer of tin-plate in London, England and a member of the “Goldbeaters’ Guild” of that city. William, the subject of our sketch, removed to Toronto (then Little York), and carried on the business of tin-plate manufacturer and importer of hardware until his death in 1844. He had twelve children, five of whom died in infancy, the others being Mary Ann, William, Henry, Isabella, James W., George, and Charles S. He was one of the founders of the Mechanics’ Institute, and Captain of the old Fire Brigade. He was also one of the first Directors of the British America Assurance Company. In politics he was a Baldwin Reformer. His wife, Mary Ann Wordley, died at Toronto in the year 1872, in the sixty-ninth year of her age. (Vol. II, p. 120)

GEORGE MUSSON, son of William and Mary Ann Musson, was born at 71 King Street East, on 3rd November, 1836. He was educated at the Toronto Academy and the Upper Canada College, and with the exception of two years (1867 to 1869), has always resided in Toronto. He married Agnes, third daughter of John Balfour. He was for many years with the well-known firm of Wakefield, Coate & Co., but since 1869 has been engaged in business on his own account. His firm, Musson & Morrow, 50 Front Street East, tea importers and commission merchants, doing a very large business, their principal connections being with China, Brazil and the West Indies. In 1883, Mr. Musson was appointed Vice-Consul for Brazil. In politics he is a Conservative. (Vol. II, p. 121)

GEORGE MUSSON, deceased, 37 Carlton Street, whose grandfather was a manufacturer of tin-plate in London, England, and came to Canada with his wife and sons (William, Thomas and Edward), in 1820. There was a daughter who married in England, and who came out a few years afterwards. The family settled on some land near Weston, where the father and mother died. The father of our subject had learned the tin-plating trade in England, and began business in that line in York soon after he came out; he continued it until 1844, when he died. He was connected with the old Fire Brigade, and was one of the founders of the Mechanics’ Institute. He was one of the first stock-holders in the British America Insurance Company. (Vol. II, p. 121)