N,O,P and Q surnamesCity of Toronto residents A History of Toronto and County of York

MUNGO NASMITH, tax collector for St. James’ Ward, residing at 16 Maitland Street, was born in Greenock, Scotland, and is a son of the late John Nasmith, who came to Canada in 1844 and for many years conducted a bakery in Toronto. Mungo early learned his father’s trade, and carried on business for himself at the corner of Yonge and Gerrard Streets from 1860 to 1872. Retiring from business on account of his health he received the appointment of collector for St. James’ Ward, a position he still retains. Following in the footsteps of his father, he early took an active part in temperance work, and was a charter member of the Cadets of Temperance when first introduced into Canada. For five years he held the position of Treasurer of the Grand Lodge of Good Templars; he was also one of the Vice-Presidents of the Dominion Alliance. At the organization of the World’s Good Templars he was appointed the Deputy of the R.W.G.T. Mallins, and is still an earnest total abstainer. (Vol. II, p. 121)

RICHARD NORTHCOTE, retired, was born in Devonshire, England, in 1804, and is now the only one living of a family of sixteen. His father was Henry Northcote, a farmer. In 1826, he came to Canada as a butler in the service of Sir John Colborne. After which he engaged in the grocery business on King Street, and subsequently in making ginger beer; he sold the latter business to the Hon. Robert Baldwin. After the Rebellion, he opened a grocery store on King Street, where Thompson & Son’s dry-goods house now is; by two fires which occurred while he was there he lost 2,000 pounds. He then commenced a wholesale pork business, which he continued until his retirement in 1849. In politics he is a Conservative, and in religion a member of the Church of England. He married a Miss Taylor, who also came out with Sir John Colborne. His son, Henry Northcote, a civil engineer, was born in York, November 4, 1833. He received his education at Upper Canada College. He married Julia, third daughter of Richard Hackin. (Vol. II, p. 122)

THOMAS NORTHEY, of the firm of Northey & Co., manufacturers of steam-pumps, was born in Cornwall, England, in 1816, being the eldest of a family of five sons and five daughters born to George and Mary (Black) Northey. About 1826, he came to Canada with his parents, who settled on Prince Edward Island, where they remained for six years. Then he went to Pittsburg, Pa., where he learned the trade of a mechanical engineer. In 1838, the term of his apprenticeship having expired, he returned to Canada, and after working ten years at Wellington Square and Simcoe located at Hamilton, where, until 1880, he was engaged in building stationary steam-engines and subsequently in making steam-pumps. In 1882, he removed to Toronto, where, at the corner of Front and Parliament Streets, the firm of which he is a member is doing a prosperous business. In 1876, he patented a steam-pump, which has proved a great success. In 1846, he married Matilda Williams, daughter of Mr. Williams, of Seneca township, who subsequently died. In 1856, he married Julia Henrietta Pell, daughter of J.E. Pell. Mr. Northey’s parents died in Hamilton; he has three brothers living, one in Melbourne, Australia, and two in Hamilton. He is a conservative in politics. (Vol. II, p. 122)

RICHARD H. OATES, deceased, the founder of the “York Pioneers Society”, was the son of Captain Oates, a commander in the merchant service, trading between England and the West Indies. Shortly after his marriage, Captain Oates made a voyage to the West Indies. On the return voyage he was compelled to put into Belfast, instead of London, whither they were bound. This occurred on July the 27th, 1809, on which date Richard H. Oates was born. His early life was, if not romantic, at least very eventful. While accompanying his parents to Malta in his father’s vessel the America, and when Richard was scarce a year old, they were captured in the Mediterranean by a French privateer and carried as prisoners of war to Algiers. Fortunately, the British consul of that place happened to be an old school-mate of Captain Oates; and by visiting the prisoners relieved the monotony of their captivity until, by an exchange of prisoners, they regained their freedom. Captain Oates, being in the Commissariat Department, was ordered to Oporto, where his son Richard, then two years of age, was carried off and concealed for some weeks by a Portuguese nobleman, who had taken a fancy to him; he was found, however, in good health and spirits, and could prattle somewhat in Portuguese. In 1812 and 1813, he travelled with his father through France and Spain, and, in 1814, returned with him to England. Captain Oates was then ordered to Quebec; and while in Canada visited Little York, when his cousin, Miss Russell, sister of President Russell, prevailed upon him to return to England for his family and to settle in Canada, which he did in 1817. He afterwards became prominent in connection with the packet Richmond, which he built and sailed between Niagara and Toronto. As Richard Oates was but eight years of age when he came to Canada, he was sent to school to the late Dr. Strachan. He also attended school at Niagara, St. Catharines and Brockville, after which he returned to Toronto and served two years as an apprentice to the drug business. In 1828, he went to England, where he finished his studies for his profession. Returning to Toronto he opened a drug store; but finding it not as profitable as he could wish he invested his capital in a foundry with Christopher Elliot. He afterwards went into the mill-stone business and built a mill at Bradford, by which he lost $18,000. The mill-stone business occupied his attention until his death, which occurred on March 2, 1881. At the beginning of this sketch reference has been made to Mr. Oates as being the founder of the “York Pioneers Society”. It is to his efforts that the Society owes its existence. It was organized for the purpose of collecting and preserving relics and historical momentoes of old times. The membership was confined to those who had lived in Toronto before March 6, 1834, on which date Little York became Toronto; subsequently those descendants of pioneers who had reached forty years of age were admitted. The society has been a certain success, much of which is due to Mr. Oates. In politics Mr. Oates was a Conservative, and in religion a Unitarian. He was President of the United Canadian Association for five years, and in January, 1880, was elected to a seat in the City Council as Alderman for St. James’ Ward. (Vol. II, p. 123)

DANIEL O’BROOK, retired, was born on the corner of King and Church Streets in this city, September 15, 1825. His father, whose name was also Daniel, came out to Canada some years before 1800 with his father, who was a merchant in Norwich, England. The grandfather of our subject afterwards became a captain in the 41st Regiment, and fought at the battle of Queenston Heights. Daniel O’Brook, sen’r, married a daughter of John Playter, by whom he had three sons, George, John Edward and Daniel. He purchased a lot at the corner of King and Church Streets, and on it built a house. He died in 1872, aged eighty years. George O’Brook lives in Toronto, while John Edward resides in Chatham. (Vol. II, p. 124)

DR. OLDRIGHT is descended from military ancestors. His grandfather was a burgher of the ancient German free city of Frankfort-on-the-Main. He having contracted a second marriage, his son left home and joined the British army, when Napoleon Bonaparte’s military genius was contributing to the overthrow of the ancient dynasties of Europe. The father of Dr. Oldright was born in London, England. His mother was Elizabeth Clucas, whose father was from the Isle of Man. Dr. Oldright’s father, when very young, joined His Majesty’s 81st Regiment of Foot, the Loyal Lincoln Volunteers. This corps, like other regiments of the line, has, in consequence of the extent of the British possessions, seen a great deal of foreign service. Major Oldright was forty-two years in the army, and travelled over a large portion of the globe. Soon after the great battle of Waterloo he served with his corps in the Army of Occupation in France, pending the complete restoration of peace and the return of the Bourbons. He afterwards accompanied his regiment to different stations in the West India Islands and British North America, besides having done duty in Great Britain, and in the Mediterranean and Ireland. He finally retired upon full pay with the rank of major. His son, Dr. William Oldright, was born at St. Kitt’s, West Indies, in 1842. During the early part of his life he accompanied his father to different countries with the regiment. In 1854, after his father’s retirement, he resided a short time in London, England, and in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and for a couple of years upon a small farm formerly belonging to the old warrior Brant, adjoining the old Mohawk Church near Brantford. He attended the Brantford High School until seventeen years of age, when he entered University College, and graduated at the University in modern languages in 1863, and in medicine in 1865. He began practice at Walkerton, Ontario, remaining two years; after which he returned to Toronto in 1867, where he has since been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. He became a member of the Medical Council, and in 1869, when he retired from that body, became Lecturer on Sanitary Science in the Toronto School of Medicine. In 1873 he was elected a member of the Senate of the Toronto University. In 1882 he was appointed Chairman of the Provincial Board of Health. His term of office as chairman expired in April, 1884, when he was re-appointed a member of the Board. In 1865 he married Sarah Ellen, daughter of Charles Durand, Esq., of this city. (Vol. II, p. 124)

WILLIAM T. O’REILLY, M.D., was born at Niagara Falls in 1834, being the eldest in a family of two sons and one daughter. His father was William O’Reilly, the youngest son of a family of six sons and five daughters, and was born in the same place and the same house as his son. In the year 1800, he married a daughter of Stiles Stevens, a U.E. Loyalist, who came to Canada from Boston; by her he had two sons and one daughter, viz.: William T., Helen and Hamilton; he died in Oakville in 1846. The grandfather of our subject, John O’Reilly, came from Baltrasna, in the County of Cavan, Ireland, in 1745, to Philadelphia, where he became the President of the University of Pennsylvania. In 1786 he came to Canada and settled at Niagara Falls, where as a U.E. Loyalist he drew land from himself and sons, and where he died in 1815. He and five of his sons, served during the War of 1812, and fought at Queenston Heights and Lundy’s Lane. Dr. O’Reilly attended Upper Canada College in 1847-8-9, and graduated in medicine in 1856. He then practised in St. Mary’s for a short time, but returned to Toronto in 1859, and now occupies the position of Inspector of Prisons and Public Charities for the Province of Ontario. (Vol. II, p. 125)

PETER PATERSON, hardware merchant, was born in Toronto, May 30, 1834. His parents were David and Sarah (Bishop) Paterson. His grandfather, Peter Paterson, came to Canada from Blantyre, Scotland, in 1819, with his sons David, John, and Peter. He settled at once in Toronto, and started in the hardware business the same year in the old Market Square, which he continued, with his son David as partner, until his death in 1846. David continued the business until 1856, when he died, and was succeeded by his sons Peter and John. Peter, since his brother John’s death in 1880, has carried on the business alone. In 1861 he was married to Jane W., eldest daughter of David Paterson, of St. John, N.B. (Vol. II, p. 126)

R.G.A. PATON, cashier in the Toronto Custom House, was born at St. Andrews, Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1830. His father, Alexander Paton, died in Scotland; his mother was Violet Wilson. In 1833 his mother came to Canada with her family, Jessie, Elizabeth, William and Robert. William died in 1845. His mother died in 1872, aged eighty-two years. R.G.A. Paton was educated in Toronto, at what was called the York Academy, kept by Mr. James Hodgson. He was on the British Colonist newspaper for ten years. For the last thirty years he has been in the Custom House. In religion Mr. Paton is a Presbyterian. (Vol. II, p. 126)

JOHN PATRICK, Superintendent Water Works, Parkdale, is a native of Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, being the second son of George Patrick, a baker of that town, who married Jane Laidlaw. In 1868 John Patrick came to Toronto, and was employed at the Soho Foundry as a foreman, and at the time the Water Works were established in Parkdale, took charge as Superintendent. (Vol. II, p. 126)

ALEXANDER PATTERSON was born in Belfast, Ireland in 1834, and in 1849 emigrated to Canada, and was engaged in lumbering until 1855. He then went to Oakville, and engaged in the grocery and dry goods business, which he conducted for two years, afterwards continuing the grocery business in Toronto. He remained at 295 Yonge Street about twenty-two years, and then retired from business in 1879, since living in retirement. In 1857 he married Miss Charlotte Hazelhurst, a daughter of Benjamin Hazelhurst of Peterboro’, the issue of the union being one son and two daughters, all of whom reside in the city. (Vol. II, p. 126)

JOHN PATTERSON, retired, was born in Belfast, Ireland, and came to Toronto with his parents when only two years of age. In his youth he learned the trade of printer, which occupation he followed for twenty-five years. In 1875 he took possession of the hotel at the corner of Agnes and Elizabeth Streets, which he conducted with success for a period of seven years, selling out to Mr. Taylor, the present proprietor, in 1882. He is a retired Captain of the 10th Royals, having joined at the time of the Fenian Raid. (Vol. II, p. 126)

THOMAS PATTERSON, retired, was born in Ireland in 1834; and at the age of twenty he emigrated to Canada and took up his residence in Toronto. On his arrival he joined the city police force, in which he remained four years. He then entered the service of the Grand Trunk Railway, and was stationed at Belleville in the capacity of policeman. On his return to Toronto some time afterwards, he again joined the city police, but subsequently returned to the employment of the Grand Trunk, and was stationed at the Union Station, where he continued until 1861. About this time he engaged in the grocery and liquor business at 230 Queen Street East, but stayed only a short time, opening a hotel and feed store on the corner of Queen and Ontario Streets. He continued this business until 1879, and then built the Prospect House, 266 Queen Street East, since which time he has lived retired at No. 81 Ontario Street. In 1859 Mr. Patterson married Miss Jane Byers, of Toronto, by whom he has three children living; she died in 1873. He was married a second time, his wife being Miss Beatty of Toronto, by whom he has one daughter living. (Vol. II, p. 127)

BENJAMIN PEARSALL, silversmith, is the son of Samuel and Amelia (Lewis) Pearsall, who came to Canada from Bristol, England, in 1800, and located in Little York, where they took a house on Duke Street. His father, who was a blacksmith and engineer by trade, was one of the first blacksmiths in the town. For two years he was employed by the Corporation as an engineer. He met his death by drowning in 1853, with his two sons name Louis Haliburton and Leurx, while the three were returning from a shooting excursion to the Island. He left three sons and three daughters. Benjamin Pearsall was born in 1847, in a house on King Street, east of Parliament Street. He married Isabella, third daughter of Frank Woods, of this city. His first wife dying he married Henrietta, daughter of John Smith, of Toronto. (Vol. II, p. 127)

GEORGE PEARSALL, locksmith, son of Samuel and Amelia Pearsall, was born in Toronto in 1840. He learned his trade with J.J. Taylor & Co., and began business for himself at 417 Yonge Street, repairing locks and filing saws, in February, 1871, and is now carrying on the hardware business in connection with the jobbing department. He married Isabella Maysonholder, of German extraction, who was born in the Province of Quebec. (Vol. II, p. 127)

ELIHU PEASE, deceased. The Pease family are of English origin, their name having been common in England for the past three hundred years. A work published there as early as 1472, mentions the name of John Pease, L.L.D.; persons of this name were found in all ranks of society, ministers, bankers, members of Parliament, etc. An English historian ascribes to them a German origin, and by a coat of arms we find the English Pease in Germany as early as A.D. 971. The great-grandfather of our subject, Samuel Pease, was born at Enfield, Conn., his ancestors having emigrated to America from Ipswich, England, with the Puritans, in the ship Francis, which landed at Boston, April, 1634, from which place they subsequently removed to Enfield, Conn., where our subject was born, June 29, 1781. He was educated for a civil engineer and land surveyor. In 1810 he came to York County, and settled at Thornhill, where he soon after began teaching school in a log building erected in 1811, which is still standing, it being the first school-house in the County of York. During the War of 1812, all aliens were compelled to take the oath of allegiance or leave the country, hence Mr. Pease returned to Buffalo, where he served in the Post Office and Custom House until the war closed, after which he returned to York, and assisted in re-building the old garrison. He later followed school teaching at Newtonbrooke until 1821, when he returned to Buffalo, and he was employed as manager in a tannery for the late Jesse Ketchum for a period of two years. He then returned to York and located opposite the Golden Lion Hotel, Yonge Street, and took the oath of allegiance. He purchased fifteen acres of land and erected a tannery which he conducted until his death in 1854. In 1820 he married Catharine, daughter of Jacob Cummer (a pioneer of York who emigrated from Reading, Penn.), by whom he left four children. Edward, the second child of Elihu Pease, was born at York, September 15, 1824, and entered his father’s tannery at the age of fifteen, remaining until 1847, afterwards removing to the Township of King, where he purchased fifteen acres of land on lot 6, concession 5. A year later he erected the second tannery in the Township of King, which he conducted eight years, and then returned to Lansing, and lived on the old home where he was eight years farming. He subsequently went to Aurora, where he was again engaged in the tanning business for sixteen years. He came to Toronto in 1880, and is at present located at 25 Front Street East, where he and his two sons are engaged as leather merchants. While Mr. Edward Pease was a resident of the Township of King he sat three years in Township Council, also three years in the Town Council of Aurora. In politics he is a Reformer; in religion a member of the Methodist Church. In 1846 he married Sarah, eldest daughter of Samuel Castle, from Herkimer County, N.Y., who had settled in the Township of Vaughan; by whom he has four sons and three daughters. Two of his sons, Joseph and Elihu are engaged with him in business. (Vol. II, p. 128)

R.W. PHIPPS, son of Thomas Phipps, jun’r, whose father settled in Toronto in 1817, is a gentleman well-known throughout the Dominion as a writer n Political Economy and other subjects. His writings in favour of the National Policy were largely circulated by the Conservative Party prior to the election of 1878, and aided in determining the result of that contest. He however left the party on the ground that the old Cabinet should not have been brought into power without an inter-mixture of the men who had been associated with the new ideas which had gained them the victory. In Provincial matters Mr. Phipps has been a supporter of the Mowat Administration. He is now employed by the Ontario Government on the subject of forest preservation, his first report on which has been received with remarkable favour by the Canadian and American press, and has attracted attention in Great Britain. Mr. Phipps’ writings in prose and poetry have been contributed principally to newspapers, magazines and pamphlets. (Vol. II, p. 129)

THOMAS PHIPPS, deceased, one of the early settlers of Little York, emigrated to Canada from London, England, in 1817. For some years he cultivated a farm a few miles north of Toronto; but, having been a merchant in England and unused to such a rough life, he took no active part in clearing the land. He did not succeed as a farmer, and went back to England; but, again returning to Canada, died here. He was twice married, having by his first marriage, one son, Thomas, who died in 1859. By his second marriage he had four sons and several daughters. Of the sons, the eldest, William, a well-known banker and broker, died a few years ago; the other sons, Frederick, George and John, are still living, the two last being citizens of Toronto. (Vol. II, p. 129)

WILLIAM PICKARD is a native of Beverley, Yorkshire, England, and was born in 1827. He came to Canada in 1856, locating in Toronto, where he has resided ever since. He was by trade a cooper, which occupation he followed for some three years, after which he engaged in the milk business, from which he retired in 1883. Mr. Pickard commenced with but one cow, and his success may be noted from the fact that on giving up business he had twenty-five head of cattle. In 1856 he married Miss Isabella Tait, of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, by whom he has two sons and two daughters. His two sons are William John and Charles Edward, both of whom reside in the city. His eldest daughter Hannah Margaret married Frederick Spies of Collingwood Township; they reside at Deer Park. Ann Eliza married Henry Wood of Bristol, England; since 1883 they have resided in the city of Chicago. (Vol. II, p. 129)

NOAH L. PIPER, deceased, was born in Berlin, Connecticut, U.S., in 1815. His father, Luther Piper, was of English extraction, and was a cooper by trade. In 1831 he and his eldest brother, Hiram, came to Canada and settled in Little York. He spent five years in learning the tinsmith trade with his brother, and was afterwards manager of the business. Eight years later he entered into partnership with his brother and continued business with him until 1863, when he formed a partnership in the house-furnishing business with his son, Edward. He retired from business in 1875, and died 12th January, 1884. His brother, Hiram, was born in 1805, and died in 1866. On January 3, 1838, Noah L. Piper married Sarah, second daughter of Robert Spencer, by whom he had three sons, Henry, Edward and Hiram, and one daughter Emeline Elizabeth, who married M.A. Thomas, of this city. In politics he was a Conservative, and in religion a Unitarian. Edward Piper, second son of Noah L. Piper, was born in Toronto in 1842. In 1875 he succeeded to his father’s business which he still carries on. In 1866 he married Elizabeth Morgan, daughter of John Morgan, of Scarboro’. (Vol. II, p. 130)

JOHN PLATT was born in the County of Armagh, Ireland, in 1815, and came to Canada with his father, Richard Platt, in 1827. He spent several years in hotel keeping, his first venture being on Colborne Street. After remaining here about five years, he built a hotel on Jarvis Street, which was burnt down on the 7th of April, 1849, at the time of the destruction of old St. James’ Cathedral, the Market, City Hall and other buildings. He rebuilt, and successfully conducted, a hotel until 1864, when he retired. He has accumulated a large amount of city property, owning three hotels, fifty acres in Leslieville, twelve near High Park, and five at the mouth of the Humber. In addition, he holds many stores and dwelling-houses throughout the city. In 1841 he married Elizabeth Carter, by whom he had eleven children, six of whom are still living. He now resides at 33 Wilton Avenue. (Vol. II, p. 130)

SAMUEL PLATT, M.P., was born in the north of Ireland, in 1812, being the fourth son of Richard Platt. He passed his early days upon his father’s farm. In 1827 the family emigrated to Canada and settled temporarily at Kingston, where the Government was engaged in building a roadway from the mainland to the New Fort. Here Richard Platt secured employment for himself and son. In 1829 his father removed to Toronto, and located on King Street, near the Market, where he rented a house from John Baldwin. He soon after died. His wife survived him only a few years, when the family was broken up. Our subject was early thrown upon his own resources, and the first winter he spent chopping cord-wood on what is now known as Sherbourne Street (then covered with a good growth of basswood and other timber). He was to receive three York Shillings per cord; but, after working some time and his employer failing to pay him, he abandoned the business and entered the employment of Enoch Turner, whose brewery was then upon the present site of the gas works, as a clerk. With Mr. Turner he served four years, at the expiration of which time he erected a distillery upon the same site; the distillery was conducted by Mr. Platt in connection with the brewery for fourteen years, when he retired. In 1837 Mr. Platt married the only daughter of Mr. George Lockett, of Staffordshire, England. During the Rebellion of 1837, he was a volunteer in Colonel Ridout’s Company, and had charge of two companies of Militia. He sat in the City Council for St. Lawrence Ward for eight years, and for St. David’s Ward for two years. When the City Water Works were being constructed he was chosen commissioner, with Hon. George Allan, to superintend the erection. During the political contest of 1873 Mr. Platt was nominated by the Conservative Party to represent East Toronto in the Dominion House; he was elected and sat for five years, at the expiration of which time he was returned by a handsome majority for the House of Commons. In 1850 he was commissioned a magistrate for the County of York. For the last ten years he has been a director of the Western Canada Loan Co., and also of the Gas Company. He is now living a quiet, retired life, a portion of his time being spent in travelling with his wife through the different countries of Europe. (Vol. II, p. 130)

JAMES W. POTTER is a native of Thetford, England. When sixteen years of age he entered the University of Cambridge (being the youngest but one who gained admittance that year), and graduated with a B.A. degree. On leaving college he enlisted in the British Army, and served in the Crimea; after which he received an appointment as Inspector of Artillery Stores. Subsequently he entered the police force, in which he remained five years, and resigning his position in 1868, he came to Canada and was employed on the Ottawa Railway as baggage-master. In 1870 he came to Toronto, and was appointed inspector and foreman of the Board of Health, which office he filled for seven years. Mr. Potter is now a reporter on the Mail staff for the eastern part of the city. He was two years on the School Board, and was elected during the present year to represent the new Ward of St. Matthew’s. (Vol. II, p. 131)

JAMES PRICE, who has been a resident of Toronto for many years, was born at Hampstead, Middlesex, England, on March 13, 1810. He left his home, June 1, 1832, and came to Canada, arriving at Peterboro’, September 1 of the same year; after remaining a little over a year, he came to Toronto, and, while there, engaged with W.H. Patterson, of Streetsville, with whom he served a clerk in the store till the spring of 1834, when he again went to Peterboro’, and worked at his trade as bricklayer and builder. In 1837 he was engaged on the Lock Works at Crooks Rapids, from whence he came back to Toronto, in July, 1838. He was married on January 8, 1839. His eldest son, Mr. James Price, jun’r, is manager of the Queen Street Branch of the Dominion Bank. Mr. Price, sen’r, afterwards engaged in contracting for himself. He built the Commercial Bank, a wholesale warehouse for the Hon. Wm. McMaster, and one for Mr. McMurrich. Mr. Price then worked for the Government, and was clerk of the works in the erection of many buildings, among which may be mentioned a portion of Upper Canada College, Normal School and the New Garrison, the whole of the New Jail and the Deaf and Dumb Institute at Belleville. He represented St. James’ Ward in the City Council, and was a member of the old fire brigade, No. 3. He was School Trustee for two years for St. Patrick’s Ward. He has been for many years employed by the corporation as assessor and inspector of works, and, in connection with Mr. John Harper, made the valuation of all the city property upon which the Council borrowed money from England. Mr. Price has been a resident of St. John’s Ward for over thirty years, and still continues to reside there. (Vol. II, p. 131)

JOSEPH PRICE, deceased, was born in Hertfordshire, England, in 1790, and came to Canada at the close of the war in 1814. When he first came to America he settled in the State of New York, and while there engaged in the iron and brass trade. He was a U.E. Loyalist, and, on arriving in Canada, settled first in the Township of Toronto, where he purchased a farm. He afterwards removed to York Township, where he resided ten years, then moved to Toronto. A few years later he purchased two hundred acres of the Elmsley Estate, lot 18, east of Yonge Street, and erected a saw-mill on the creek which still bears his name. He engaged in the lumber trade for twenty years until his death in 1846. He left two sons and one daughter; the latter is still living. He was a member of the Freemason body, and also belonged to the St. George’s Society. He was Captain in the First Militia of York, and took an active part in the Rebellion of 1837; he was a strong Conservative and a follower of the English Church. Mr. Price married Maria, daughter of Thomas Kimberly, who died in 1849. (Vol. II, p. 132)

CAPTAIN JOHN QUINN was born in St. Andaire, Spain, June 2, 1815, his father being a soldier in the British Army, which was then fighting in the Peninsular War. In 1832 his father, with his family, came to Canada and took up land in the Township of Emily, Victoria County; he died the same year. At the death of his father, which occurred so shortly after his arrival in Canada, the subject of this sketch sold the farm and accepted the life of a lake mariner. He began on the steamer Great Britain, which used to make eight-day trips around the lake, calling at Canadian and American ports. After four years he became bartender in a hotel in Toronto, and then went back to the Great Britain as steward. In 1835 he worked on the Iroquois, the first steamer that went down the Rapids. Among other boats that he worked on were the United Kingdom, Burlington, Britannia, Transit, City of Toronto, Eclipse, West, Maple Leaf and Peerless. In 1853 he built, and ran between the Island and the city, a ferry boat called the Citizen. He served during the Rebellion. In 1838 he married a daughter of John Hesson. (Vol. II, p. 132)